GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Window scratches

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
This is the fourth car I detailed, our third here. The Poplar tree sap has been a nemesis here, especially the windshield. My tried and true solution was simply some spray cleaner or lubricant and a gentle razor blade. Has worked for years, except this GTI. Left some hazing/scratches that I will likely have to polish out. Is there something weird about VW windows?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
This is the fourth car I detailed, our third here. The Poplar tree sap has been a nemesis here, especially the windshield. My tried and true solution was simply some spray cleaner or lubricant and a gentle razor blade. Has worked for years, except this GTI. Left some hazing/scratches that I will likely have to polish out. Is there something weird about VW windows?
Can't comment on windows, but scratches can happen in auto glass. Best bet is to find a shop that will use some jewelers rouge or Cerium Oxide to try and polish it out. Might need to go to a glass place for this. Some might know better about the VW windows and chime in, not all glass can be polished. I just know smaller nicks and gouges have been able to be polished out in the past with older cars.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
In the future I'd try some type of alcohol for the sap. Should dissolve it so you can just wipe it away.

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I've used the IPA and even Stoner's, it works a little bit. Whatever else is in it, the Gyeon Prep spray did a really good job.

Last edited:

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Carpro makes a cerium oxide glass polish (Ceriglass) that can be used with their rayon pads, either by hand or with a DA. Won't work for deep scratches though.

Plastic razorblades are available for use on glass, highly recommended. Always try the Stoners first with a bug/tar sponge though.

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Carpro makes a cerium oxide glass polish that can be used with their rayon pads, either by hand or with a DA. Won't work for deep scratches though.

Plastic razorblades are available for use on glass, highly recommended. Always try the Stoners first with a bug/tar sponge though.
Good point. Plastic blades make a world of difference.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Carpro makes a cerium oxide glass polish that can be used with their rayon pads, either by hand or with a DA. Won't work for deep scratches though.

Carpro is what I used on my first factory MK7 windscreen to "polish" the screen to help stop wiper blade judder

Last edited:

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I've ordered the Ceriglass, plus some rayon pads. Still doesn't explain the weird VW windows, and I can't find any information about protective coatings or anything special.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Ceriglass is great, if you can get your hands on a rotary polisher use one, works better than on the DA. By hand it's a nightmare. Cover all your rubber trim, as Ceriglass will stain it if it dries on it. Plastic razors are useless, good for pushing dirt around, that's it. Burnish your razor next time, and make sure you round the edges slightly on a 1000-1500 grit paper to prevent the edge from scratching. Today glass is not as hard as they used to be. They chip and scratch way too easily. I think this may be done for safety reasons or because of the way they get tempered.

Check this video where Yvan shows how to burnish and use a razor on paint.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Also, keep a spray bottle of water handy.bthe Ceriglass will dry out, but you can reactivate it by giving it a mist and continue working since it doesn't really break down.