GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wind Noise/Resonance windows down

RobESS

Hi

I got a Mk7 GT 2.0 TDi in Tornado Red ( not that the colour has anhting to d with this thread !!).

If I'm driving wit the rear windows down the noise and resonance from the wind is unbearable so much so that I have to close them to nearly the top to get at least some air flow

Anybody else had issues like this ? Is it the shape causing the problems

Cheers

jp_cfc09

Ready to race!
I never drive with the rear down unless im under 30mph, every cars wind noise annoys me lol. maybe a set of wind defectors would help a bit but I think its going to still be annoying no matter what.

ps. its only annoying for now as we have a heat wave, think about how usa owners must feel lol.

JohnV1

Ready to race!
It's an identical resonance problem to the 5-door Mk6. Opened all 4 this afternoon to expel the initial hot air in the car and it's just too noisy above 30 - 40mph. I guess the Mk7's the same.

jp_cfc09

Ready to race!
lol I didnt want to be as blunt as you mcmaddy and thought my point would of been clear untill johnv posted lol. cant believe anyone thinks it wouldnt be loud to drive 40mph + with any window down never mind the rear too, its not a probelm its how it goes. if the air cant run down the side along the glass window as its open, the air will go in as it has to go somewhere. with more then one open then theres more then one point where the air is entering and will clash making it worst.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
I have a 2 DR. Golf and If I only lower the front driver window, the sound is like a helicopter. Crack the passenger window and the sound goes away for the most pare. Near 90*F here today and 75% humidity so it is HOT.

TDR-380

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2 DR. Golf and If I only lower the front driver window, the sound is like a helicopter. Crack the passenger window and the sound goes away for the most pare. Near 90*F here today and 75% humidity so it is HOT.

This

RobESS

Not every care is the same !!

My last one could be driven with the windows down, and regularly was, without the same sort of resonance issues.

Thanks for your thoughts anyway

jp_cfc09

Ready to race!
not every car, depends on the shape mostly and window opening. my last 2 sport hatches where like the mk7 golf, they where mk5 astra and ford focus. my first jeep didnt have the same effect but was still bad enough to close the windows. try wind defectors as I said, it helped my astra but not as much on the focus.

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
your original post stated rear windows down when driving. unless your rear screen also goes down then you will always get noise buffering. if you drive with all the windows down you get far less resonance.

dickt

Ready to race!
Yup, a horrible resonance with the "wrong" windows down. I found that playing around with how open the various windows were sorted it for me.