GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wilwood BBK: Any Good?

swifty1

Ready to race!
I am really interested in this brake upgrade, but I have a few questions about it. I have PP brakes currently and want to go to Road America this summer and am looking to upgrade before then. The Wilwood kit looks great because it is:
-only slightly smaller than PP brakes
-Super Super Super light
-6 piston
-reputable company
-comes with 2 piece rotors, pads, lines

only for $1400.

This seems like way "too good to be true" especially compared to stoptech, brembo, even the tts upgrade (with rotors) is more expensive.

Anybody have experience with this kit? How are they able to make it cheaper than their competitors? Is Wilwood as reputable as I am told?

lastly, will they take the heat of 130+ braking or should I be looking for a bigger kit?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No experience with this kit but a long time ago I used Wilwood brakes on a Ford pickup that I hopped up and they were great.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Neuspeed 6-piston calipers use PP Rotors. They also sell a two-piece rotor. I can install Neuspeed 17” wheels for track use. IIRC, calipers are about $1800.

Usually, if something is too good to be true, it isn’t. I’d be concerned about “super, super, super “ light. The caliper may flex, degrading feel.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I think my only issue with that Wilwood kit is the rotor rings are $250 each. That's a little steep for replacements. Otherwise, I'd do it as Wilwood is a great kit.

1970something

Passed Driver's Ed
One thing to note: I believe Bryce’s kit came with 20” brake lines where they should have been 26” long. Might be worth checking what comes standard in the kit before you buy.

morricus

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
What kit are you referring to? Wildwood did have a kit, but I believe it no longer exists. I called Wildwood about the kit about a month ago, they said they no longer offered one for the MK7. If you have an update to this, I'll buy the kit with you.

morricus

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI

1970something

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, I’m not 100% sure about compatibility. The Wilwood site doesn’t list MK7 platform but that’s the one that Bryce has, so at least one person has made it work.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I put a full set of Wilwoods on my 2004 GTO. Looked great worked great. You might check on whether there are 3rd party pads available or you have to buy their pads.

Last edited: