GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will_s Night Blue GTI daily turned track build

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I really like those cars. Would consider one if I didn't need a functional back seat.

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
The GR86 arrived today. You’ll find me back at Laguna/Sonoma/Thunderhill in about a month. Already got parts piled up my living room :)
Keeping it stock drivetrain? Interested to see if the whole RTV blown engine that just went viral is going to drive Toyota warranty changes for non-competition track use of GR vehicles.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
If anyone would like my old GTI, it is currently for sale for just about $2k more than I paid for it NEW :LOL:

https://www.carmax.com/car/23037670

In GR86 news…I am just under 1k miles at present. So far I’ve done coilovers, 20% tint, Endless MX72 Plus pads, adjustable rear lower control arms, and clear side markers. It’s first track day will be Saturday Sep 17th at Thunderhill West. My best GTI time there was 1:25.6, I think I can possibly swing 1:28 in this on stock tires.

6C730BEC-F2FF-4124-8605-2E3AA01A5D48.jpeg

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
If anyone would like my old GTI, it is currently for sale for just about $2k more than I paid for it NEW :LOL:

In GR86 news…I am just under 1k miles at present. So far I’ve done coilovers, 20% tint, Endless MX72 Plus pads, adjustable rear lower control arms, and clear side markers. It’s first track day will be Saturday Sep 17th at Thunderhill West. My best GTI time there was 1:25.6, I think I can possibly swing 1:28 in this on stock tires.
Diggin the color!

DevinMK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI Sport
How much was the GR86? I saw one at a local car dealer with 1k miles and the A/T for $35K 😫

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
How much was the GR86? I saw one at a local car dealer with 1k miles and the A/T for $35K 😫

Could be worse. Carvana has used ones for $42.5k 🤮

1663299409863.png

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG

I got mine for MSRP, ordered specifically from a MSRP only dealer. It was like $31.8k before taxes, I think $36.5 OTD. I paid an additional $1000 for an add on insurance that covers the windshield (OEM glass and install/sensor alignment) for 4 years, which seemed worth it as I have had bad luck with windshields.

First track day this Saturday at Thunderhill West!

4EA36EB6-B5DC-4E0D-B0D9-B1790C35390B.jpeg

DevinMK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI Sport

View attachment 258872
I would not be surprised if you get close or even match your GTI time with non 200tw tires, easily doable with. The new GR86 is very quick around my local tracks in the hands of a capable driver. Have fun out there!

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I got mine for MSRP, ordered specifically from a MSRP only dealer. It was like $31.8k before taxes, I think $36.5 OTD. I paid an additional $1000 for an add on insurance that covers the windshield (OEM glass and install/sensor alignment) for 4 years, which seemed worth it as I have had bad luck with windshields.

First track day this Saturday at Thunderhill West!

View attachment 260777
......what's the tax rate out by you? If I tack on that extra 1k to get a price of 32.8 on the car that means tax would have to be 3.7 or just over 11% on the sale. Is that right?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So @Will_ now that it's been a while, how are you liking the GR86 vs. a GTI?

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
So @Will_ now that it's been a while, how are you liking the GR86 vs. a GTI?
Well, the GR86 is frankly a much better track car. Learning how to drive stick+rwd on track was fun, I feel pretty competent now but always a lot to learn. Time wise it’s petty incredible, with my GR86 on 245 Champiro SX2s (which are about the same pace as a summer tire like PS4S or Advan V601, if not slower), I am beating the times I set with my GTI on 245 RS4s.

The engine in the GR86 is a bit concerning…based on some testing a few friends have done the car does not seem to like high g corners. Seeing some sustained (several second) oil pressure drops after long high g sweepers and uphill right handed crests. So something to kinda keep an eye on. Also apparently Subaru doesn’t have quality control on their engine line, as many people have found huge globs of RTV in the oil pickup tube. Time will tell…but already had one friend blow his engine. This car with an E888 swap would be godly.

I am enjoying the MK8. The electronic sensors can be a bit finicky…when the cars dirty some of the ACC sensors go berserk. The capacitive buttons are fine though. Did one track day in it, it is fast AF on the straights. Thing makes huge power. May have to get a Golf R if the GR86 engine goes. For now though, I love the GR chassis.

BE06C258-6A4E-4F11-A5AB-6757439AACB2.jpeg
8AD97CD9-DCB0-4425-BBC0-61E0F284F9B9.jpeg

DevinMK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI Sport
Well, the GR86 is frankly a much better track car. Learning how to drive stick+rwd on track was fun, I feel pretty competent now but always a lot to learn. Time wise it’s petty incredible, with my GR86 on 245 Champiro SX2s (which are about the same pace as a summer tire like PS4S or Advan V601, if not slower), I am beating the times I set with my GTI on 245 RS4s.

The engine in the GR86 is a bit concerning…based on some testing a few friends have done the car does not seem to like high g corners. Seeing some sustained (several second) oil pressure drops after long high g sweepers and uphill right handed crests. So something to kinda keep an eye on. Also apparently Subaru doesn’t have quality control on their engine line, as many people have found huge globs of RTV in the oil pickup tube. Time will tell…but already had one friend blow his engine. This car with an E888 swap would be godly.

I am enjoying the MK8. The electronic sensors can be a bit finicky…when the cars dirty some of the ACC sensors go berserk. The capacitive buttons are fine though. Did one track day in it, it is fast AF on the straights. Thing makes huge power. May have to get a Golf R if the GR86 engine goes. For now though, I love the GR chassis.

View attachment 274394View attachment 274395
Not surprised by the GR86 pace, makes me wish I had a RWD car to play around with for the track and autox!

To help you sleep at night, swapping the oil pan and inspecting/cleaning the oil pickup tube may be considered…

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Not surprised by the GR86 pace, makes me wish I had a RWD car to play around with for the track and autox!

To help you sleep at night, swapping the oil pan and inspecting/cleaning the oil pickup tube may be considered…
Yes I’ve considered dropping the pan, but should anything happen that would basically give Toyota blank check to deny a warranty repair. So I’m keeping it OEM for now and telling myself the failure rate can’t be THAT high if I am careful about oil temps and don’t go crazy with aero and slicks. But who knows…decisions decisions

DevinMK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI Sport
Yes I’ve considered dropping the pan, but should anything happen that would basically give Toyota blank check to deny a warranty repair. So I’m keeping it OEM for now and telling myself the failure rate can’t be THAT high if I am careful about oil temps and don’t go crazy with aero and slicks. But who knows…decisions decisions
I’ve also heard Toyota deny a repair on someone’s GR86 that ended up seizing due to a clogged oil pickup tube because they were tracking it a while back (apparently it was because the owner was posting his adventures online which gave them reason to void warranty though). Hopefully your car is one of the better assembled ones from the factory. 🙏