GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will_s Night Blue GTI daily turned track build

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Yes, and great, I’ll reach out when it’s ready to go.
So I'm not 100% sure, but I think getting this to mate up to my AWE catback would be a significant amount of work. I'll keep you updated, but I may be out for the downpipe

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Well, this week I put down a deposit on my next car, a GR86 in Neptune (premium package w/ MT). I told the dealer I would also take the car in Red, Silver, or Trueno (dark) blue. Its going to be minimum 3 month wait, likely closer to 6, but I figured best to get the deposit in now.

As such I will begin slowly parting out the GTI, keeping the necessary stuff for tracking for as long as possible. I have some parts of the car and ready to go now and will be posting lots of stuff for sale in the coming weeks. Let me know if you want dibs on anything. Things that will be coming off the car and approximate prices:

Racingline Oil Cooler - BNIB - $425 (ready now)
Verus Diffuser - good condition - $400 (ready now)
BEC MK7.5 Golf R reps w/ built in LED - good condition - $300
PP Grille w/ Chrome strip - free
Rear wiper delete - free
Schroth Quick Fit Pro - great condition - $300
Stoptech ST60 w/ 355 rotors - I will clean change any needed parts before selling - $1500
Apex SM10 17x9 ET 42 - will likely come with used 200tw tires - $900 (tbd depending on state of tires)
Aerofabb rear spoiler extension - $50
Cobb AP w/ EQT St2 91oct - $600
ECS FMIC - $250
BFI Catch Can - $300
Baun Performance V1 Downpipe - $250
EQT Coilovers (normal) - $800

Probably some more stuff I forgot about.

I'm in search of the following parts to help w/ stock conversion:

OEM Halogen headlights for 15-17 GTI
OEM non-PP grill 15-17 GTI
OEM Austin wheels
OEM springs/dampers

This is going to be a fairly slow process as I will do aesthetic things first then performance mods last. Trying to do at least 3 more track days with the car, but might do 5-6 depending on how long the GR86 takes to come in. Reason I'm switching? Want to be better at RWD and driving stick. I think the GR86 will help me develop as a driver better than the GTI, and at the moment I don't use the practicality the GTI affords that often. I bike to work and pretty much just drive the car to the gym or on weekends. I thought about buying an SS 1LE but would prefer to save some cash for future expenses and have lower running costs.
Congrats on the new (eventually) car! Good choice on color 👍🏼

I’m interested in the BEC headlights and have OEM halogens to trade off my 17 GTI S.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
So I'm not 100% sure, but I think getting this to mate up to my AWE catback would be a significant amount of work. I'll keep you updated, but I may be out for the downpipe
Juuust kidding. Talked to the man himself @GTI Jake and it seems like it’s workable. Still interested haha.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Well, this week I put down a deposit on my next car, a GR86 in Neptune (premium package w/ MT). I told the dealer I would also take the car in Red, Silver, or Trueno (dark) blue. Its going to be minimum 3 month wait, likely closer to 6, but I figured best to get the deposit in now.

As such I will begin slowly parting out the GTI, keeping the necessary stuff for tracking for as long as possible. I have some parts of the car and ready to go now and will be posting lots of stuff for sale in the coming weeks. Let me know if you want dibs on anything. Things that will be coming off the car and approximate prices:

Rear wiper delete - free
Stoptech ST60 w/ 355 rotors - I will clean change any needed parts before selling - $1500
Apex SM10 17x9 ET 42 - will likely come with used 200tw tires - $900 (tbd depending on state of tires)
ECS FMIC - $250
BFI Catch Can - $300

OEM Austin wheels
OEM springs/dampers

This is going to be a fairly slow process as I will do aesthetic things first then performance mods last. Trying to do at least 3 more track days with the car, but might do 5-6 depending on how long the GR86 takes to come in. Reason I'm switching? Want to be better at RWD and driving stick. I think the GR86 will help me develop as a driver better than the GTI, and at the moment I don't use the practicality the GTI affords that often. I bike to work and pretty much just drive the car to the gym or on weekends. I thought about buying an SS 1LE but would prefer to save some cash for future expenses and have lower running costs.

I have some OEM dampers you can have for free, just the cost of shipping. Unfortunately I don't have the springs with them. They have 45k miles on them? Fine condition, just swapped them out for the RacingLine kit on my GTI.

Which rear wiper delete do you have? Might be interested in that 🤣

RochanaG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI 6MT

Rear wiper delete - free
ECS FMIC - $250
BFI Catch Can - $300

OEM Austin wheels
OEM springs/dampers

Which dealer did you go to? Was it for msrp, I saw on the highway Oakland Toyota claims nothing over msrp.

I messaged you on ig but would like put dibs on the coils, brakes, and harness.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Which dealer did you go to? Was it for msrp, I saw on the highway Oakland Toyota claims nothing over msrp.

I messaged you on ig but would like put dibs on the coils, brakes, and harness.
Noted!

It was Toyota 101 in Redwood City, they I guess have a policy of selling all cars at MSRP. Downside is, the sales guy told me every sales person has at least 2 deposits already, so I’m pretty sure I’m like 30th on the wait list at this dealership alone.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I have some OEM dampers you can have for free, just the cost of shipping. Unfortunately I don't have the springs with them. They have 45k miles on them? Fine condition, just swapped them out for the RacingLine kit on my GTI.

Which rear wiper delete do you have? Might be interested in that 🤣
I’ll happily pay shipping for them and send ya the rear wiper delete in return. I don’t remember what brand it is tbh but it’s a nice quality one, the second one I’ve bought actually. First one used some crappy RPV sealant, this one is a way better fit and doesn’t use any sealant.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I’ll happily pay shipping for them and send ya the rear wiper delete in return. I don’t remember what brand it is tbh but it’s a nice quality one, the second one I’ve bought actually. First one used some crappy RPV sealant, this one is a way better fit and doesn’t use any sealant.

Sounds good. Let me grab the box out of the garage and see the size/weight. PM me your address, and I'll see what shipping would be.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Some great track photos courtesy of my buddy Kelvin (@burntgrits on IG)

DSCF2460_edited.jpg
DSCF2780_edited.jpg
DSCF2899_edited.jpg
DSCF3194_edited.jpg
DSCF3202_edited.jpg
DSCF3212_edited.jpg

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Had quite the weekend up at Thunderhill, running the East course on Friday and the West course on Saturday. I was able to set PR's on both courses, both of which may possibly be chassis records (for MK7s that is, not MQB). The days were not without their troubles though. On Friday, the first two sessions got black flagged, the first due to a breakdown, and the second due to a Miata dropping fluid on T1, which I unfortunately was the first person to hit. Luckily I kept the car on track and the tires didn't flatspot, but it was definitely the biggest spin I've had. Until the afternoon that is. In my final session, I lined up with a friend in a fast CTR behind me, and was giving it my all to try and outrun him. I came into T3 a little fast on still cold tires, and overcorrected the slide, sending me flying into the grass. Luckily there is nothing to hit on that section of the course, so I and the car escaped unharmed with only a bruised ego. Here is my best lap from Friday on East, along with the slide and off track excursion.

PR 2:02.33 lap:

Big slide:

Lawn mowing:

The next day, I ran the West course, which I've actually never run in full before, only partially as part of the combined 5 mile course, which excludes part of the West course. I was very happy with how I drove this day, was able to really push the car hard without having any off course excursions or major issues. I did cut my last two sessions short as I was getting a weird vibration while turning after a few hot laps. I checked the car out after each session and couldn't find anything loose or broken. It almost felt like the pads rattling within the caliper or contacting the rotor hat. Either way, I decided to not risk anything, as I had already put down several fast laps in my earlier sessions, so pulled off early. After swapping back my street pads at the end of the day, I didn't have any vibrations and everything felt normal. Will see if its an issue next track day, which will be Thursday 5/5 at Sonoma.

Here is my fastest lap from Saturday on West, a 1:25.65.

Aside from the driving, another highlight was getting to meet and chat with Randy Pobst! He was coaching a friend of his that happened to park right next to us in the paddock. Very cool and down to earth guy.

3D8D94D5-5EEA-4748-BC62-04B00E6E1FE9.jpeg

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Damn a 1:25 on west. You're approaching prepped s2k territory.

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
"flying into the grass. Luckily there is nothing to hit on that section of the course"
That's one of the great things about thunderhill. In most places there's nothing to hit.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
"flying into the grass. Luckily there is nothing to hit on that section of the course"
That's one of the great things about thunderhill. In most places there's nothing to hit.
Yes, I enjoy being able to really push the limits there without too much concern. At Sonoma I’m usually greeted by two cars on flatbeds before my first session of the day even starts!

Some nice photos from the weekend:

E7DAFC26-C18E-46F3-B5EB-044EC3BB2074.jpeg
31F39C6A-F58B-4439-BC7B-040F7F99A2C1.jpeg

93FF8960-FC7C-43E4-BB81-706CD650D7C7.jpeg
5C45BE98-CC14-4CD1-90E6-6B66FFD83226.jpeg