GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will I hate a manual?

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
Hello, me again.

Before you tell me that this has been asked before, I know it has. I've read everything about the advantages and disadvantages of both. However, I'm in a bit of a unique situation and I need your help.

I am looking at some of the Pre Owned 2018 Rs in my area, but the thing is, almost all of them are manuals. there are literally two DSGs that show up on Carfax within my area, and that's also going back to the 2016 model year.

So, I really like the white on the 2018 Rs, especially with the black accents, but all of the white ones are manual. The one DSG is down in the city, I think, only it's black (but TBH it looks pretty evil with a splitter in the front from prev. owner).

I wouldn't mind a manual, just because It would probably be more fun and (obviously) direct vs. the DSG. I actually wish I had gone standard on my previous GTI.

I'm in southern Westchester county, so we do have a fair amount of hills in the area, and traffic isn't hard to come by. But, I know that the clutches in the 7s weren't the greatest, so I assume that the ones in the 7.5 are no different. Also, which ones would technically hold greater value in the future? I do plan on holding onto the car for some time.

Apologies for the wordy post, but I'm in a weird situation and I need to decide soon, as at the moment I'm sans-car :(.

Am I going to regret going with the DSG, or is manual not a better option?

iceorbital

Passed Driver's Ed
My my 2012 Golf R was a manual. Short shifter, dogbone insert, clutch stop, shifter cable end bushings are musts and made a day and night difference. I did love driving that thing. I have a 7.5 R DSG now (the 7 speed one), driving it manual mode and it doesn't quite behave like I would like, and I don't want to do the TCU upgrade because warranty, so I'm so so with the upgrade. Love the fast shifting experience, specially on city driving. But the computer deciding when the shifting really happens me no like.

dr1980

Passed Driver's Ed
I wet from a 6MT GTI to a DSG Golf R and I have no regrets. Sure, every once and a while I wish I could row gears, but for the most part I can satisfy that urge but putting it in manual mode and using the paddle shifters.

My big thing is that the DSG can shift better/faster than I ever could, so I felt like I was loosing out or not making the most of the GTI's power, no such issues or concerns with a DSG R.

Luiscalpa

Passed Driver's Ed
Im old school and love manuals, I understand that dsg is faster than mine, but I don’t regret my descicion. I have to tell you that if you do any upgrade, preper for changing your clutch. Im stage 2 and my clutch last 7,000 miles from the time I do reflash. Im very conservative and had never launch the car. Currently it has 28,000 and tomorrow I will take it to the shop to change it. For the rest I love it its fast and reliable. My suggestion is go with what makes you happy. Good luck!!!

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
My my 2012 Golf R was a manual. Short shifter, dogbone insert, clutch stop, shifter cable end bushings are musts and made a day and night difference. I did love driving that thing. I have a 7.5 R DSG now (the 7 speed one), driving it manual mode and it doesn't quite behave like I would like, and I don't want to do the TCU upgrade because warranty, so I'm so so with the upgrade. Love the fast shifting experience, specially on city driving. But the computer deciding when the shifting really happens me no like.
The upgrades made a difference in terms of what though?

Also... launch control? Worth it for that occasional rush?

I'm using Tapatalk.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
Im old school and love manuals, I understand that dsg is faster than mine, but I don’t regret my descicion. I have to tell you that if you do any upgrade, preper for changing your clutch. Im stage 2 and my clutch last 7,000 miles from the time I do reflash. Im very conservative and had never launch the car. Currently it has 28,000 and tomorrow I will take it to the shop to change it. For the rest I love it its fast and reliable. My suggestion is go with what makes you happy. Good luck!!!
I get taking care of it and not launching it (I had a friend kill is clutch that way)

I don't plan on going to the extreme that I did with my GTI, maybe just intake, exhaust, tires, etc.

Is it really that bad that I need to think about replacing it no matter what?

I'm using Tapatalk.

iceorbital

Passed Driver's Ed
The upgrades made a difference in terms of what though?

Removed all the sloppiness associated with the stock components. Precise, repeatable, enjoyable, quick shifting experience. Put a smile on my face every time I was shifting. Anyone that has a manual, best investments ever, and few of the updates are fairly low cost, so there's no going wrong

clutch stop: $10
dogbone insert: $40 (I went with 034 motorsports, was awesome)
short shifter: $200 (I went with VWR to keep the stock feel)
bushings and end links: $70
great shifting experience: priceless (R)

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I've always had manual cars, including my 15 gti. I recently just got an 18R dsg and I don't miss the manual at all. Especially because they're rather expensive to replace and slip when going above oem power levels.

Dsg just needs a flash and it can hold all the power you'd really want.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I drive a manual and I like it but the clutch is weak and the risk of crank wall is there, get a DSG and enjoy.

Ezyrider

Ready to race!
MT6 is the only option for a drivers car imo , unless you sit in heavy traffic daily.

If so get a Prius. The DSG is faster, however so is the train, my 02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
GTI is the first automatic I have ever owned in my life and I have zero regrets on my choice.

If you are on the fence, try test driving at a R manual before pulling the trigger. I dont think a R is going to hold its value in the future because of the transmission choice.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Short shifter, dogbone insert, clutch stop, shifter cable end bushings are musts and made a day and night difference.

"Musts"