GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will Enkei RPF1 17x8 ET45 clear PP/R calipers?

1970something

Ready to race!
I have found a few vendors selling RPF1 in 17x8, ET45 sizing. Curious if anyone has run these successfully on a PP GTI or R. Any spacers necessary to clear calipers?

I know, I know, search the forums. I have done some extensive searching and found nothing; maybe my google-fu isn't great. It looks like 17x7.5 do not clear the calipers, but it's unclear if this is fixed by spacers. It's possible that the wider wheels have more spoke clearance.

These pics show the wheels on a mk7 but don't show if the brakes are PP or standard:
https://www.fitmentindustries.com/w...i-rpf1-neuspeed-race-springs-lowering-springs

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I am also 98% sure that 17x9 won't fit the PP/R brakes sadly. I love the concavity of the 9" width wheels.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Barrel shape is going to be a big factor, as well as caliper to spoke clearance.

I would bet good money that aside from companies like Neuspeed that sell a VW specific 17" wheel and have test fit those applications, no retailer is going to state a 17" wheel will fit a PP/R brake car. It's a super narrow clearance when it works, or if it needs a spacer that's not a "safe fit" from most retailers.

Enkei might be able to give you some help with this, but I wouldn't expect Tire Rack to recommend anything but 18" wheels for your car.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
I have found a few vendors selling RPF1 in 17x8, ET45 sizing. Curious if anyone has run these successfully on a PP GTI or R. Any spacers necessary to clear calipers?

I know, I know, search the forums. I have done some extensive searching and found nothing; maybe my google-fu isn't great. It looks like 17x7.5 do not clear the calipers, but it's unclear if this is fixed by spacers. It's possible that the wider wheels have more spoke clearance.

These pics show the wheels on a mk7 but don't show if the brakes are PP or standard:
https://www.fitmentindustries.com/w...i-rpf1-neuspeed-race-springs-lowering-springs
Tirerack offers that size from a few makers for the Golf R so...

1970something

Ready to race!
Thanks for the help everyone! Regarding blaqsheep's response, I could have sworn that folks on this forum could not get the 17x7.5 to clear the calipers.

As for your 17x8.5 ET40, I would imagine the combination of larger width and lower offset would push the spokes further from the caliper (compared to 17x8 ET45) giving you more clearance. So it doesn't necessarily give me confidence in 17x8 ET45. Maybe my math is wrong though.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
17x8 +45 will fit 100%. It will be tight, as you can see in my picture. Wheel weights should go on the outside.

19GTI

Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
I have a mk 7.5 gti with PP brakes, 17 x 8 +45 RPF1s. Very tight fit but it fits.

1970something

Ready to race!
19gti, thanks for the feedback. Do you happen to have any pictures of the clearance? When you say it’s very close is this something that a 3 or 5mm spacer would help?

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
19gti, thanks for the feedback. Do you happen to have any pictures of the clearance? When you say it’s very close is this something that a 3 or 5mm spacer would help?
Tight as in close to the barrel. The spoke design provides generous clearance for the caliper.

19GTI

Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
It's not the face of the wheel. It's the inner barrel of the wheel touching the caliper that is very close. The spokes are very far away from the caliper.

I'll take some pics in a bit if I don't forget. It will fit though and I have no rubbing whatsoever. I drive like a bat out of hell and have had no issues.

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
, no retailer is going to state a 17" wheel will fit a PP/R brake car. It's a super narrow clearance when it works, or if it needs a spacer that's not a "safe fit" from most retailers.

Tire Rack absolutely lists 17" wheels for PP cars. I bought 17" winter wheels there. I'd be interested to see if wheels they don't list as fitting are all known _not_ to fit, or if some may be unknown.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Tire Rack absolutely lists 17" wheels for PP cars. I bought 17" winter wheels there. I'd be interested to see if wheels they don't list as fitting are all known _not_ to fit, or if some may be unknown.

I shouldn't have been so absolute.

What Tire Rack recommends is going to depend on the wheel brand and what data they supply Tire Rack. If you bought Tire Rack branded wheels for example, they could have done their own fitment checks. Otherwise wheel style/barrel shape/drop center location is going to be critical on a 17" wheel on a PP car and most brands go with consistently safe fits for their data. Nothing that requires a spacer, nothing that needs to specify that wheel weights should be on the outside of the wheel, that type of stuff doesn't fly. We can do that on the forums all day long, but Tire Rack needs to send someone a 100% guaranteed fit that can just get mounted up.

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
Heck, I've got a set of 17x7" VX Classix with a 54mm offset as winter wheels for my 2019 MK7.5 GTI, and it's tight, but they clear the PP brakes.