GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will an EQT stage 2 tune adjust for a stock downpipe?

L33tH@x0r

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
TIA for any help. I've searched around for this topic as I've seen that APR's stage 2 software has been claimed to adjust for a stock downpipe until a high-flow/catless dp is installed.

Is the same true for EQT? I've looked on their site and FAQ. I know it's a weird question to ask, but I'm wondering if I can't make my stock R a bit more fun until I can get it to a lift and get the high flow DP on.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
If you have a Stage I, I would leave it where it is, since it is optimized for what you have.
Otherwise, I suppose you can run Stage II software, but you would be better off running a Stage I or II map from Cobb (which I believe does not include the DP). Stage II from Cobb requires an intercooler, but I assume NC isn't nearly as hot as it is in the summer while you wait for your DP to be installed

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/759726458/Map+Notes+for+USDM+Mk7+Golf+R

fuelforfire87

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
I doubt it, that's why if you look at the EQT recommended/required modifications list, it says a downpipe is required for stage 2. The reason they are able to up the boost for stage II power levels is because the exhaust is more free flowing than with the stock downpipe. If you are forcing more air into the motor, you need a better flowing exhaust to be able to get it out. I wouldn't risk it.

https://www.eqtuning.com/apps/help-center#hc-recommended-required-modification-list-1

Got Boost

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
When APR says their stage II tune “adjusts” for a stock DP what they really mean is that they’ve backed off the tune enough to not outflow the stock DP, causing high EGTs and possible engine damage.

L33tH@x0r

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Thanks everyone! In that case I'll flash a stage 1 and enjoy that until I can swap the DP. I appreciate the advice!