GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will aftermarket downpipe pass emission test?

shep13

Passed Driver's Ed
I won't do this mod if I need to keep swapping dp back and forth. I know the cats on most downpipe are of low quality. Thanks

Martin398

Ready to race!
it's not that the CAT on a high flow DP is low quality so much as it is a low cell count. I think OEM is 800, most aftermarket are 200-400 range. if you're worried about emission testing and you're in a state with a sniffer test look into a GESI catalytic converter for your high flow down pipe. if you're in an OBD readiness state, you can pass with a high flow CAT so long as you don't have a check engine light. in my state you only are required to pass 2 of the 3 OBD readiness tests to pass emissions. I got my last inspection sticker with a high flow CAT and downpipe installed... and im in a state that is ridiculous with inspections.

GeoS VW

Passed Driver's Ed
With a MY2016 in Ontario you should be good for a couple of more years before you have to worry about the emission test. New cars are exempt for the first 7 years.

After that you would get the OBD test. No sniffer test.

To pass that without removing the DP you would need a spacer for the secondary O2 sensor with an aftermarket DP. This enables the O2 sensor to "read" normally.

If you are going to use a stage 2 ECU tune to go with the DP, then you would need to reflash back to stock. The Stage 2 tunes disable the error code from the secondary O2 sensor. This reads as a "non-ready" state for the emission check. In Ontario an O2 sensor error is an automatic fail. So basically get one from a vendor that lets you reflash at home.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
any aftermarket downpipe with a euro 6 rated cat should pass an emissions test.

Hey- good comment, but I really think this warrants some further discussion.... modding a car is never an investment- it is only an expense, however...

I know that many of us are in these cars for only a couple of years, but there's some of us who want to keep driving the car for around a decade or even more. Even though an etest could be 5 or more years away, a downpipe is going to be seen as an investment in the car... and a used downpipe known to fail emissions will be no good to sell to anyone else in Ontario in a few years time. A CEL means failed e-test. Flashing to stage 2 to fix the CEL will result in a failed etest due to a sensor not showing as ready once scanned....

With that in mind, I think there's a few of us wondering "Which specific downpipe, or even which combo of products, should I invest in if I were wanting to pass today's emissions test?"

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
APR stage 2 "non test pipe" file and AWE down pipe.

Interesting....

Is AWE still the only one with a no CEL guarantee?

And whats the difference between the "non test pipe" file and the normal/low torque stage 2? Appreciate it.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Hey- good comment, but I really think this warrants some further discussion.... modding a car is never an investment- it is only an expense, however...

I know that many of us are in these cars for only a couple of years, but there's some of us who want to keep driving the car for around a decade or even more. Even though an etest could be 5 or more years away, a downpipe is going to be seen as an investment in the car... and a used downpipe known to fail emissions will be no good to sell to anyone else in Ontario in a few years time. A CEL means failed e-test. Flashing to stage 2 to fix the CEL will result in a failed etest due to a sensor not showing as ready once scanned....

With that in mind, I think there's a few of us wondering "Which specific downpipe, or even which combo of products, should I invest in if I were wanting to pass today's emissions test?"

wrong.
i have a few friends with mk4 1.8ts’ with maestro. they have multiple emissions devices set to “ not available” and pass w/o issues.
last one to passwas this february.

https://instagram.com/p/BfUAkeaj55M/

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
wrong.
i have a few friends with mk4 1.8ts’ with maestro. they have multiple emissions devices set to “ not available” and pass w/o issues.

https://instagram.com/p/BfUAkeaj55M/
Where are you from? That will not pass in NY and several other states.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

GeoS VW

Passed Driver's Ed
wrong.

That is a bit misleading.

In Ontario a "not ready" status will be a fail on the OBD test. It will not automatically trigger a fail for the scan portion if the status is "ready" or "not applicable". However, the tech would (should) fail the car if they look for altered emissions equipment (e.g. aftermarket / deleted cat or O2 sensors). The "not applicable" status for an O2 sensor is a red flag on any newer car.

So your friends have a tune that changes the sensor status to "not applicable" and a shop that looks the other way. Not everyone will be in that situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R

In Ontario a "not ready" status will be a fail on the OBD test. It will not automatically trigger a fail for the scan portion if the status is "ready" or "not applicable". However, the tech would (should) fail the car if they look for altered emissions equipment (e.g. aftermarket / deleted cat or O2 sensors). The "not applicable" status for an O2 sensor is a red flag on any newer car.

So your friends have a tune that changes the sensor status to "not applicable" and a shop that looks the other way. Not everyone will be in that situation.

the person/place that ran the test are not known at all to friend, he went to a place, they ran the test, he is a random dude to them.
this is also not his first etest. my friends have been doing this since day 1

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion

Yes, that's sort of what I was thinking. Not ready does not = not applicable. Also, depending upon the year of 1.8T, there may not be an O2 sensor that's tested... 1.8ts weren't really my thing, but 1999.5-2003 TDIs didn't have an o2, 2004s like mine did.

I also know that the methods of an e-test, can of course change. My first TDI E-test, the guy behind the counter at Canadian Tire pointed to my car out the window. "Is that yours?" Yep "Is it running right now?" Nope... "Well, when it's running, does it idle all smokey?" Uh... nooo.... "Kay. Pass" I'd bet that TDI etests will never be that lax again... lol.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
My car was finally due for emissions, and I passed!!! ?

APR stage II non test pipe with APR DP and spacer.

I have one of those J shaped spacer
I do get a check engine light every few thousand miles but when that happens I just wipe everything clear with the OBD11...
Usually i get one about twice a year, and i had just gotten one a couple of weeks ago before going to the emissions.
I hope this helps