GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will adding a FMIC affect my handling negatively?

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I ordered a FMIC for my car, so I can track it without worrying about higher intake temps in the summer.
However, when I opened it up (I got the ECS Bar & Plate for use with stock IC tubing), the thing felt pretty heavy! I was concerned because the weight is all the way in front of the front axle.
Did you guys notice any difference in handling after installing a FMIC?

I only ask because I used to own an Xterra, and I added a small front push bar, and IMMEDIATELY felt that the front end felt heavier and more resistant to turn in. After having it for a while, it annoyed me too much and I removed it. The truck felt like a sports car after removing it! LOL. It was a huge difference, and the bar only weighed about 25 - 30 lbs. In all fairness, it was 30lbs. reaching out in front of the front bumper.
In this case, with an FMIC on my GTI, it's probably only about 20-22lbs, and it's behind the front bumper.

What should I expect to feel, if anything?

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
If you're worried about the weight you shoulda got a direct replacement
I didn't realize it would be that heavy. Plus I didn't want to invest all that work into it. I wanted it to be a quick/easy mod that was easily reversible if necessary.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Thanks for the quick responses. I can't wait to install now!

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
if you are installing a significantly larger FMIC, the air volume will be larger and you will notice more boost lag / worse throttle response. This is not gonna make any difference in drag performance but for track it might be a bit harder to modulate.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I finished installing it!
It was a fun project. When the car was apart, it looked scary, but it came with excellent instructions, so it was VERY easy.

As far as performance goes, I have to say that I didn't feel a difference in power, and I did feel like the front end felt SLIGHTLY heavier with tight turns. I can't really say that it felt any worse though, especially since I didn't notice any negative handling due to it. I would really like to try it back to back to know for sure. I can't really explain it any better than it was just "different". So I guess I really can't complain.

Now to explain the lack of me feeling a difference in power or the way the turbo boost builds, I have an explanation for that as well. For starters, it has been very cold outside, so I would imagine that the colder the intake air, the less of a difference that the intercooler would make. And more importantly, on the day I installed the intercooler, I just finished installing a JB4, then took it for 1 drive. I felt a huge power boost on the short drive that I took to go to lunch. Then I came home and installed the intercooler, and went back out, and was still impressed by the huge benefit. So in other words, I didn't know the car well enough with the JB4 to know how much better the car was with the intercooler added on top of the JB4, since I only had about 10 minutes of experience with it.
So far, I'm thrilled with the combination of the JB4 and the intercooler, and I know that it was necessary for me to install it if I wanted to put the car on the track this summer.
Anyone considering the ECS FMIC should feel very comfortable that it is designed extremely well, and it fit's PERFECTLY without any permanent modifications to the vehicle.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.PNG
    IMG_0037.PNG
    3.1 MB · Views: 85

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I finished installing it!
It was a fun project. When the car was apart, it looked scary, but it came with excellent instructions, so it was VERY easy.

As far as performance goes, I have to say that I didn't feel a difference in power, and I did feel like the front end felt SLIGHTLY heavier with tight turns. I can't really say that it felt any worse though, especially since I didn't notice any negative handling due to it. I would really like to try it back to back to know for sure. I can't really explain it any better than it was just "different". So I guess I really can't complain.
Trust me when I say this is placebo.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Trust me when I say this is placebo.
Very possible....but I am super sensitive to steering feel on my cars. Well the funny thing is, it felt like the tires were maybe 2 or 3 psi low. And of course, numb nuts over here never bothered to check and see, lol.
So my testing was not exactly at clinical levels!
I will know how all these changes affected my car after I go to Limerock and get some lap times. I was very consistent with my times, so I think that it will be a good gauge of the benefits of the changes I made. Since then, I added a front tower brace, the JB4, the intercooler, and I will soon be doing the rear sway bar (once the Moog endlinks are back in stock).

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
It’s funny because I agree on principal that adding an FMIC shouldn’t have any affect on handling, but I swear my front end felt a little heavier after I installed it, and that effect wasn’t even something I had thought about prior.