GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will a upgraded Downpipe reduce probability of Turbo breakdown?

johngohwh

I will be going for the APR reflash tomorrow after consideration for some time. Even a T turbo could be blown. Wish me luck... I also hope like what gtibrazil said, better to look for solution for the good sake of all.

blackcat1

Banned
Turbos are failing on stock cars people, this "if you don't want to risk don't mod" talk does not apply. That's why I'm asking for cues. Modding, in this case, will perhaps only hasten what will happen even if you don't touch it.

GoTime1

Ready to race!
Turbos are failing on stock cars people, this "if you don't want to risk don't mod" talk does not apply. That's why I'm asking for cues. Modding, in this case, will perhaps only hasten what will happen even if you don't touch it.

then don't mod if you think your turbo might fail, or if you think it will eventually fail. It seems like you worried about your warranty

Get revision "T" turbo if you have a bulletin. Apparently those also fail.
So what do you actually want? A guarantee that your turbo won't fail?

blackcat1

Banned
No. I'm just speculating that MAYBE those failures aren't caused by a flawed turbo, but by an external factor like the oil used (502 instead of 504), lack of oil, too much backpressure because of restrictive downpipe, etc.

What if its any of those and by fixing it the turbos will run fine?

then don't mod if you think your turbo might fail, or if you think it will eventually fail. It seems like you worried about your warranty

Get revision "T" turbo if you have a bulletin. Apparently those also fail.
So what do you actually want? A guarantee that your turbo won't fail?

Gnasher

Ready to race!
Although with some turbos (Vauxhall ones on the Z20LET/LEH engine in particular) you have to be careful.These turbos needed a bit of back pressure to maintain the integrity of the seals within the turbo - after a while, some turbos with full 3" turbo back systems started getting very smokey.

Nitsrik1976

Ready to race!
Can I put my 10pence worth in guys.
I've got U.K spec GTi which the Turbo blew at 3000 miles.
Sadly after returning it to my dealer for investigation the Turbo had dumped fragments into the oil system and the bottom end shells were damaged as a result of Turbo failure. We can speculate this is a one off, however I feel obligated to pass on my findings.