GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will a jb4 be a good fit for me?

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Most shoot for e30, so about 4 gallons.

Since you only drive 300-500 miles a month, that's a tank to a tank and a half. If you can readily get e85, then I'd target that. A JB4 with an e30 tuned map will get you close, if not up to, a typical Stage 1. If you want to modify your car and void the warranty, skip Stage 1 and go Stage 2 FBO with 91 and e30 tunes. I'd also do the DSG tune at the same time.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I’m in Denver (high elevation) and only have access to 91 octane

Will map 2 be a good fit for me considering my circumstances?

i don’t think it’s the best at elevation, personally. It works by lying to your engine so it isn’t receiving real values in order to get the engine to add more boost to make more power. I wouldn’t trust something that makes your engine blind when operating in the mountains. It’s definitely safe at sea level thoigh

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Most shoot for e30, so about 4 gallons.

Since you only drive 300-500 miles a month, that's a tank to a tank and a half. If you can readily get e85, then I'd target that. A JB4 with an e30 tuned map will get you close, if not up to, a typical Stage 1. If you want to modify your car and void the warranty, skip Stage 1 and go Stage 2 FBO with 91 and e30 tunes. I'd also do the DSG tune at the same time.
Thanks

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
i don’t think it’s the best at elevation, personally. It works by lying to your engine so it isn’t receiving real values in order to get the engine to add more boost to make more power. I wouldn’t trust something that makes your engine blind when operating in the mountains. It’s definitely safe at sea level thoigh

No doubt, a proper tune is probably safer.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
No doubt, a proper tune is probably safer.

mhm. Though I would bet George can make a safe, Elevation-tolerant Map 6 tune with anyone who needed the help :)

if anything, there’s something to be said about something that can force the turbo to build more boost than it otherwise would have, in the mountains. That could actually help, since you need more boost for the same power at elevation.

so I guess it’s just a matter of making sure you have customized for your needs.That is more important at elevation than it is just running Map 2 on 93 at sea level

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
mhm. Though I would bet George can make a safe, Elevation-tolerant Map 6 tune with anyone who needed the help :)

if anything, there’s something to be said about something that can force the turbo to build more boost than it otherwise would have, in the mountains. That could actually help, since you need more boost for the same power at elevation.

so I guess it’s just a matter of making sure you have customized for your needs.That is more important at elevation than it is just running Map 2 on 93 at sea level
How much does George charge for those services

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
That’s dope of him!

yeah George is the homie. Anyone who has gone the JB route and has utilized his services (George is the like, lead technical developer for Burger. Or at the very least he’s their lead customer support engineer.) Has spoken every bit as highly of him as people do about Ed with EQT. the bang per buck with BMS as a business in general is pretty hard to beat in the segment. They make really good stuff and price it very reasonably.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
yeah George is the homie. Anyone who has gone the JB route and has utilized his services (George is the like, lead technical developer for Burger. Or at the very least he’s their lead customer support engineer.) Has spoken every bit as highly of him as people do about Ed with EQT. the bang per buck with BMS as a business in general is pretty hard to beat in the segment. They make really good stuff and price it very reasonably.
Gotcha.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Occasionally, George will ask for beta testers when he is about to release a new version. I have a used JB4 but his beta test happened while I bought it, so he helped me sort out my initial Map 6. A couple of others here helped me tweak it.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
First, thanks for your service and sacrifice. Didn't know from the other threads.

I take it you've put the APR+ on hold and consider the JB4 now? I think you'll be happy with it. If at all possible, do add the E85 and run maybe Map 4. It should get ya close to what you want. George is awesome at helping tune/recommend settings, and there are a number of well versed JB users here that can help too. Probably safer with a custom Map 6 for your use. I suggest the Bluetooth Connect kit and make sure to sign up to datazap.me for logging/sharing files. Oh, and run that DSG in manual ;).

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
First, thanks for your service and sacrifice. Didn't know from the other threads.

I take it you've put the APR+ on hold and consider the JB4 now? I think you'll be happy with it. If at all possible, do add the E85 and run maybe Map 4. It should get ya close to what you want. George is awesome at helping tune/recommend settings, and there are a number of well versed JB users here that can help too. Probably safer with a custom Map 6 for your use. I suggest the Bluetooth Connect kit and make sure to sign up to datazap.me for logging/sharing files. Oh, and run that DSG in manual ;).
Thanks for the support!

I’m still back and forth between apr+ and jb4 tbh. I’d go apr+ but that price is ludicrous. Hence why jb4 looks like an option.

I am worried about the jb4 leaving traces of itself. Folks say it’s undetectable but I know better. It leaves under and over boosting events on the ecu’s histogram. Some dealers may not attempt a deep dive but some dealers do. Hence why the apr+ looks like an option.

and before I hear rebuttals. I worked at a vw, Audi and collection dealership in 3 different states. I assure you, we were able to see piggy backs. Even if you removed them.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
You have to do what you feel comfortable with, and at what odds the engine would shit itself. That said, personally don't know if I'd trust APR to back a claim if tuned through their plus program either. And for the meager gains, I'd rather risk it going with some other tune option. But, to each his own.

FWIW, never heard of any claims denial for a piggyback, or much less, a JB4 causing any catastrophic failures. And this forum would be the first place it would show up if it did. Anyway, GL with whatever tune option you go with. Rest assured, there is plenty of forum support here for just about any you can think of.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
You have to do what you feel comfortable with, and at what odds the engine would shit itself. That said, personally don't know if I'd trust APR to back a claim if tuned through their plus program either. And for the meager gains, I'd rather risk it going with some other tune option. But, to each his own.

FWIW, never heard of any claims denial for a piggyback, or much less, a JB4 causing any catastrophic failures. And this forum would be the first place it would show up if it did. Anyway, GL with whatever tune option you go with. Rest assured, there is plenty of forum support here for just about any you can think of.
That’s the thing. I’ve messaged on various boards looking for folks who were supported by apr plus’s warranty. At this point I’m going to just start asking dealerships who flash apr plus and see what’s what.

I’ve never seen a piggy back cause failure either. It was always abuse. But since we were able to see the manipulation in the ecu’s stored data. And since we were able to inspect the plastic clips that get intercepted. And find holes for the cable that goes into obd. We had to deny a warranty claim.

things like damaged turbo’s were pretty common