GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Clubsport build

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I might be an outlier here, but I wish both seats had been totally manual like those too. My wife and I share the R, and ............ you know that poor electric seat isnt going to last forever. She is 5'2 and I am 6'0 ... so it gets moved quite a bit.

When it does crap out, I will likely retrofit in manual sliders on the drivers seat.
Same thing here, wife's 5'3" and I'm 6'2", however she can't drive a manual, so that's how I solved that problem. But I greatly prefer manual seats in any car.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I used the Shroth quick fit harness in my 05 STi, but not in the 08 STI. I found submarining to be an issue and could never get them adjusted to avoid that tendency. I'm 5'10" and 185 lbs, if that matters.

As far as half cages go, I'm not sure it's a big deal, Porsche offers them as factory options, though you might need the race seats for that option, but sure though.

Last edited:

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
But I greatly prefer manual seats in any car.

The real advantage of electric seats is for use with a seat position memory system. Since VW doesn't bother to offer that to us (in the NAR market), our electric seats seem only marginally useful to me. I do like an electric backrest though, since a manual version is harder to adjust when driving.

Neil

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The real advantage of electric seats is for use with a seat position memory system. Since VW doesn't bother to offer that to us (in the NAR market), our electric seats seem only marginally useful to me. I do like an electric backrest though, since a manual version is harder to adjust when driving.

Neil
I just feel like memory seats still get it wrong, or at least I end up fiddling with them just as much as manual seats. And the speed and convenience of manual just works better for me. The funniest was my mom's old MB SL that had power head rests. Waiting five seconds to raise the headrest an inch always made me laugh. Thinking back, the rear view mirror was power too.

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
got this done while I wait on the other cross bar and seats to arrive....

D9AE13C1-C04B-4FE7-B943-A428EA8C1265.jpeg
B933ACB3-8DBB-4B36-81E0-39A2EA7B936C.jpeg
9B9CB3FF-F38D-4D97-A2A8-3663928B1EFF.jpeg
8EB7E0EE-9A73-4331-B136-6E46158765B2.jpeg
thumbnail_Image.jpg

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Naw he's the dude modding a 1.4 estate hating on everyone else's shit.

lol. This thread is a trainwreck. Nice Half Cage OP, can't wait to see it installed.

Actually @golfdave has a wealth of good information that he provides to the forum out of the kindness of his heart. He provided a ton of resources and information that thousands of people on here have used. His comments in this thread here tend to be pointing out how cages/harnesses should be used and mounted.

With that being said, this is @greekspec2 car. Let him mod it how he pleases. He is clearly looking for some input/discussion by posting it on here so by all means speak up if you see something you might think is a bad idea or unsafe, but also be aware that there is a large amount of people who mod cars for looks, and not everything needs to be done for max racecar.

/rant

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
That looks like it clashes but maybe painted it wont be so bad. I wish we had more options for spoilers that slightly extend the wing or replace it rather than just a tiny lip or some ginormous whale tail

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
That's a no on the wing for me. Just doesn't look good, looks like it doesn't belong there at all

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If it's functional and you track, I'm all for it. If you just want it for looks, I'm all for it too, but I personally wouldn't do it for looks.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I feel like the wing works on the widebody Golf, but on an otherwise stock Golf I feel like it doesn't match the lines at all.

It's you're car though. Still excited to see what it looks like after paint.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I don't know why, but I think a paint splatter "drop cloth" paint job would look sick on the white bars.