GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wide tires

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Tirerack info is generic. I am looking for first hand experience with certain tire types on rims of specific width.
Then go directly to the Michelin website and see what they recommend. TireRack has been selling wheels and tire combs for a long time and probably know more about this than you and I do so I would take there generic information as fairy reliable.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Tire Rack information is provided directly from the manufacturer. They don't just put up generic specs for tires, that is data fed to them from the company itself.

The "recommended wheel width" range is literally the range of wheel widths you can use for any given tire size based on the companies testing/recommendations.

There is math to be done on section width based on what rim width was used for the stated width: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=200

Way too much weight is being put on tire appearance IMO. It's the right size, or wider because that's what you want, or it's a tire that was on sale so you're running that. If you're picking tires based on how they look and not how they perform, I don't know what to tell you.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I don't choose tires based on looks. But visual properties are indicative of other characteristics. "Right size," when given as a range, is close to being a moot point.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I don't choose tires based on looks. But visual properties are indicative of other characteristics. "Right size," when given as a range, is close to being a moot point.

Every tire manufacturer provides a range for wheel widths, that may effect some performance characteristics it doesn't change it's diameter. So what does that mean from your perspective?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Every tire manufacturer provides a range for wheel widths, that may effect some performance characteristics it doesn't change it's diameter. So what does that mean from your perspective?

I never brought up diameter.
You agree that performance characteristics may change as you traverse the entire width range. Don't know what we are arguing about.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I never brought up diameter.
You agree that performance characteristics may change as you traverse the entire width range. Don't know what we are arguing about.
You took issue with the ranges for appropriate wheel width that Tire Rack provides as "generic", which they aren't. That information comes from the tire manufacturer, and is yours to use as you choose.

I'm just trying to figure out why that range is a problem for you.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
You took issue with the ranges for appropriate wheel width that Tire Rack provides as "generic", which they aren't. That information comes from the tire manufacturer, and is yours to use as you choose.

I'm just trying to figure out why that range is a problem for you.

There's nothing to figure out. I want to get opinions of people here, who can provide first hand experience and show photos. I see no reason to scrutinize my moves. I know the ranges. Now I want to know what live people have to share based on experience.

elwood1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2024 GTI SE DSG
Elwood1, Do you have any desire to install (??? brand) lowering springs or you fairly pleased with that
245/40-18 "Look"......Will you post or send more/better angles pics showing how close to flush front
rubber(sidewall) is to fender....I know that back rubber is still "In" a bit ??????

My car is my daily, I won't be lowering it. I don't have great pics, and I can't get better ones until my winter set up comes off. Maybe these will help?

245 tires pic 1.jpg245 tires pic 2.jpg245 tires pic 4.jpgneuspeed2.jpg