Autocross Champion
driver mod?

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
You can run E30 on stock fuel system and get close to max timing advance with safe boost curve, needs atleast HPFP to run E85.
I accidentally pumped 7 gallons of e85 into my tank last week on unitronic stage 1+ 93 octane... I've been keeping it under 3k rpm and topping off with 93 every 2 gallons or so since

But normally I fill the last 2 gallons of my tank fill with e85 and it should come to around e30. It definitely runs smoother on hot days with this and the car is a little more punchy.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
I accidentally pumped 7 gallons of e85 into my tank last week on unitronic stage 1+ 93 octane... I've been keeping it under 3k rpm and topping off with 93 every 2 gallons or so since

But normally I fill the last 2 gallons of my tank fill with e85 and it should come to around e30. It definitely runs smoother on hot days with this and the car is a little more punchy.
Wait are you running E30 on a 93 tune? I'm not 100% confident, but I'm pretty sure you should avoid doing that because you're going to be running a bit lean with E30. Offers more knock resistance, but requires a lower air/fuel ratio (more fuel for the same amount of air).

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
e30 is fine. Someone told me before to monitor the fuel trims and those were looking normal too

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Wait are you running E30 on a 93 tune? I'm not 100% confident, but I'm pretty sure you should avoid doing that because you're going to be running a bit lean with E30. Offers more knock resistance, but requires a lower air/fuel ratio (more fuel for the same amount of air).
Yeah, it's fine. I've been doing it for about 4 years and its been good. It runs really smooth and has a little extra power. Fuel economy goes does as ECU adjusts fueling slightly. Normally when i run e30 i get about 20mpg but this week I've averaged 15

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
There was conversation in this thread on when to shift. Many were saying 7k which is not necessarily correct. If it’s a tuned car you need to look at the horsepower and torque curves and shift where they are at their peak. The manufacturer of the tune should publish these curves. For example on a stock GTI it’s fastest to shift at around 5600 rpm.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
There was conversation in this thread on when to shift. Many were saying 7k which is not necessarily correct. If it’s a tuned car you need to look at the horsepower and torque curves and shift where they are at their peak. The manufacturer of the tune should publish these curves. For example on a stock GTI it’s fastest to shift at around 5600 rpm.
What was said is shift at 7k if you have an upgraded turbo. I even said I shift a bit after 5k with my is20

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
That’s great…now go read what turbo the OP has on his car since it’s NOT a stock gti let alone stock turbo on a tune.

Baka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2014 GTI PP

So the amount of wheel torque you gain from short shifting, is more than the amount of wheel torque you lose from going up a gear? With third being 28% longer than second?

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So the amount of wheel torque you gain from short shifting, is more than the amount of wheel torque you lose from going up a gear? With third being 28% longer than second?
Exactly, shifting at peak torque is only half the story. Torque at the wheels based on gearing and where you end up in the power band in the next gear also have to be taken into account. It's not as simple as people try to make it.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Exactly, shifting at peak torque is only half the story. Torque at the wheels based on gearing and where you end up in the power band in the next gear also have to be taken into account. It's not as simple as people try to make it.
Which is why us MT drivers that race are more skilled drivers than the DSG folks. Just don't tell them that because they'll get their panties all bunched up if you do.