GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why Stoptech ST40 - 3 minute pad changes plus fluid flush

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
I've used ST40's for a number of years, several years on a Cayman and over the past year on my 2017 GTI. I love the pedal feel, etc. but want to talk about how easy it is to change pads and flush brake fluid. So I made this short video. Truly, three minutes to change the pads and flush fluid (after you have the wheel off). So much easier.
Bern

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
Do you also bleed out brake fluid from the inside bleeder valve? In the video, I saw just the outside bleeder valve being accessed.
I too have a set of ST40s with 355x32mm disc. Love the Stoppies!

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Do you also bleed out brake fluid from the inside bleeder valve? In the video, I saw just the outside bleeder valve being accessed.
I too have a set of ST40s with 355x32mm disc. Love the Stoppies!
Norm, I just use the outside bleeder valve. As long as you've reasonable compressed both sides, all the fluid will be evacuated since the inside is linked to the outside. If you want to be doubly sure, compress one side, then the other, then the first again.
Bern

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Scrllock, IMHO if there's no issue with air in the system, there's no need to bleed the inside valve using this method since this method evacuates all fluid in all cylinders. OTOH, there's no harm in doing so.

If you're flushing the system in the normal process, then you do need to use the inside valve, otherwise, the fluid in the upper cylinder will not be flushed. Keep in mind that in the normal process, you're diluting the existing fluid until it is sufficiently cleansed from the caliper.

Bern

scrllock

Autocross Champion
There would still be plenty of old fluid in the caliper with this method anyway. A standard pressure bleed is much more thorough.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
During my HPDE days I was always envious of fixed caliper guys swapping pads out super fast. My floating caliper pad swap was always a process.

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
There would still be plenty of old fluid in the caliper with this method anyway. A standard pressure bleed is much more thorough.
I beg to differ. If you've rebuilt a caliper, it's clear there is little to no void behind the pistons and the through ports are quite small diameter.

sheeno

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
What pads are you guys using for the track? I used the street pads that came with the ST-40 this weekend at Laguna Seca, and I had no issues, but I think I would prefer more bite from racing pads.

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
I've been using Pagid Yellow RS29's for years and am happy with them. I ordered my last set from Zeckhausen for about $360.
Bern

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Been through many sets of carbotech xp12 front xp10 rear. I think it's the perfect pairing on a 200tw track tire with st40s in front
I know everybody talks about what pads for autocross but what about for drag racing at the strip? I have to throw my stock size rotors and calipers back on the front in order to use my Belak wheels so will need some new pads for that.