GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why no engine torque damper for this platform?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Why doesn't anyone make an engine torque damper for these cars? If you're unfamiliar, they typically attach between the engine (often the engine mount) and the body (like the strut tower or something else strong) to reduce engine movement, reducing wheel hop. Used one on my Mazda 3 and it worked great. Yes, it transfers lots of NVH to the cabin, but it's so easy to take on and off for track day vs. daily driving. Seems like an obvious option to offer 🤷‍♂️

1668616818712.png

1668616849933.png

1668616864641.png

1668616883231.png

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Seems like an uneccessary mod if you have some good/strong mounts along with a good suspension setup.

True, but I found a way to get hundreds of people to buy one for $500...

1668629211512.png

🤣 🤣

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Seems like an uneccessary mod if you have some good/strong mounts along with a good suspension setup.
Yeah but then you're talking about, what, hundreds if not 1,000+ dollars in mods (a good suspension setup + good mounts) vs. a relatively inexpensive add-on that can be taken off and removed. And, you can kill wheel hop with a couple mounts or inserts but then you have awful NVH that ruins daily driving. Completely different use case IMO.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Yeah but then you're talking about, what, hundreds if not 1,000+ dollars in mods (a good suspension setup + good mounts) vs. a relatively inexpensive add-on that can be taken off and removed. And, you can kill wheel hop with a couple mounts or inserts but then you have awful NVH that ruins daily driving. Completely different use case IMO.
NVH isn’t an issue when you research and select quality parts for the mounts.

I have two cars in the stable that prove this. 😎

But I see your point on a simple bolt on mod that can be easily removed. This is why I chose a solid insert for the torque arm on the bottom of my Mk7.

Killed 80-90% of my wheel hop for $70 with no NVH increases.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
And I’m still giggling over here from Acadia’s photoshop earlier… 🙌👌🍻

tigeo

Autocross Champion
NVH isn’t an issue when you research and select quality parts for the mounts.

I have two cars in the stable that prove this. 😎

But I see your point on a simple bolt on mod that can be easily removed. This is why I chose a solid insert for the torque arm on the bottom of my Mk7.

Killed 80-90% of my wheel hop for $70 with no NVH increases.
As much as you want to say that you had "no NVH increase" that is not possible. Any mounts/dogbone bits have to increase it to some level...now it may not bother you, but filling voids in bushings/using firmer ones 100% increases it. I have mounts/full 034 dogbone kit and yeah, it has some NV but not bad enough for me to remove it.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
NVH is definitely a tolerance deal. Lots of mounts/bushings/etc... advertised as "stock like" NVH...
but only if you're not in reverse, don't have the A/C on, are on smooth pavement, etc. :cautious:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
NVH is definitely a tolerance deal. Lots of mounts/bushings/etc... advertised as "stock like" NVH...
but only if you're not in reverse, don't have the A/C on, are on smooth pavement, etc. :cautious:
I'd say the simple metal lower inserts are "close to stock" but once you do something that goes in both the upper/lower portions game on!