GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why is the German aftermarket community/support so strong?

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Sorry but no. I do not think there is a single S2000, Civic, or Mazda Miata that looks good and the new Type R's look like a horrible toy that some 3 year old designed.

Certainly a very personal hot take and many people disagree with this. I personally feel that the S2000 is one of the best looking cars ever designed and one of the few "timeless" cars. There's no shortage of very tastefully built S2Ks, Civics, Integras, Miatas. Don't let some 18yo with a straight pipe exhaust on his ratty 92 single-cam Civic ruin the rest of the fun for ya.
I do agree that the new Type R looks like a teenager's wet dream. But it's insanely quick and one of the fastest FWD cars off the showroom floor.
The new Civic Type R looks great in black because that's the color that hides all the fake vents.

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Yep, glad to drive a car with a healthy aftermarket support system. So many good aftermarket choices. Heck, Urotuning is in my own backyard! I know the owner personally. Great company!

Oh, and yeah, I agree with torga. The latest generation Civic Type R is a monster FWD car, even in bone stock form. I even considered putting it on the shortlist of cars to test drive before making my new car purchase in 2020. But dang, that thing looks like a cockroach, especially from the rear.

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
Worked in the Subaru world for a while. Can attest that most of the owners are fucking mouth breathers.
LOL my observation on the road is 98.5% of WRX/STI drivers cannot remotely actually drive.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
LOL my observation on the road is 98.5% of WRX/STI drivers cannot remotely actually drive.

try explaining to them what a TGV is, what it means to delete them, and lord help me, WhY nOT eQuAl LenGtH HeADerS?!?

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
try explaining to them what a TGV is, what it means to delete them, and lord help me, WhY nOT eQuAl LenGtH HeADerS?!?
I must admit I'm a fairly casual GTI guy myself, so I don't know any of the above myself.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I must admit I'm a fairly casual GTI guy myself, so I don't know any of the above myself.

And you get a pass because they are terms rampant in the Subaru world 😉

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I don't think I've ever seen a VAG vehicle with a fart can. Aftermarket exhaust, yes. Resonator delete, yes. However around here there are tons of tarted up JDM cars and Subarus with fart cans.

Unfortunately...I've seen quite a few of them.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Attempting to answer the OP's question - I think "Euro car guys" are less locked into one brand and there are a much broader range of platforms/models to modify. My experience with Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Jeep guys is that they are pretty locked into their brand and there's often only 1-2 models in that brand worth modifying. Subaru guys are mostly in the same boat. They wouldn't be caught dead in any car other than theirs. Most of the Euro guys are at least open to most of the fun European brands (BMW, Audi, VW, MB, Volvo, etc.) and often enjoy other stuff like classics and muscle cars too.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I think the other thing to mention as well, is VW uses the MQB platform for several of it's vehicles. That's very enticing for aftermarket companies because it's a little easier to create parts for. Develop on one car, test on a few more, and blam you have a new part!

The other thing that comes to mind for parts selection, is that other market vehicles (JDM) for example, have TONS of parts companies making parts, but for vehicles you may not be interested in. For example, Toyota has crazy aftermarket support for the Tacoma/4runner/Landcruiser/Tundra. I own a 3rd gen 4runner, and aftermarket parts companies are crazy abundant. When I was looking into lift kits I think it took me weeks of research to figure out what brand to go with, then what spring rates, then do I want aftermarket UCA's, what about stiffer bushings?, etc.

However, I will say that the euro companies definitely have higher quality videos/instructions/etc. I guess they just get with the times better, lol

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I think the other thing to mention as well, is VW uses the MQB platform for several of it's vehicles. That's very enticing for aftermarket companies because it's a little easier to create parts for. Develop on one car, test on a few more, and blam you have a new part!

The other thing that comes to mind for parts selection, is that other market vehicles (JDM) for example, have TONS of parts companies making parts, but for vehicles you may not be interested in. For example, Toyota has crazy aftermarket support for the Tacoma/4runner/Landcruiser/Tundra. I own a 3rd gen 4runner, and aftermarket parts companies are crazy abundant. When I was looking into lift kits I think it took me weeks of research to figure out what brand to go with, then what spring rates, then do I want aftermarket UCA's, what about stiffer bushings?, etc.

However, I will say that the euro companies definitely have higher quality videos/instructions/etc. I guess they just get with the times better, lol

Your experience is based on the skipped generation phenomenon.

allow me to illustrate

1634049060781.jpeg

the aftermarket is just following the trendy money.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Your experience is based on the skipped generation phenomenon.

allow me to illustrate

View attachment 227698

the aftermarket is just following the trendy money.

LOL I completely agree with this. I had a 2nd gen for a while and it sucked for support. I figured people just hated it because of the terrible 3.0. Worst mpg of any car I've owned, zero power, and questionable reliability.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
LOL I completely agree with this. I had a 2nd gen for a while and it sucked for support. I figured people just hated it because of the terrible 3.0. Worst mpg of any car I've owned, zero power, and questionable reliability.

2nd gen with the 22RE and a SAS swap would be what I would build, to be honest. I love my 22RE in my '91 Pickup, but that's 2WD. I'd love a 4WD at some point.