GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why don't more people utilize Methanol injection?

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I'm a very old fart still learning, so I hope this isn't a dumb question.

My nephew recently added a Methanol injection system to his BMW to be utilized during track days. His data logs show that the injection system lowers intake temps significantly more than the upgraded intercooler he already had installed. It's not even close. I am going under the assumtion that lower I.T.'s are the primary reason any of us add upgraded ICs. If there are other big benefits that I am missing, please let me know. Installed costs were very similar to the IC, so there was little economic benefit one way or the other.

I track quite a bit, and from anecdotal data (albeit lots of it) it seems that at HPDE's intercoolers outnumber injection systems 10-1. I have an IC but never even thought of Meth injection until recently. I understand the injection requires a small amount of extra work at the track (filling the tank), but it's really not enough to be an issue.

So, why do most people, myself included, go to an upgraded IC before, or instead of doing a methanol system?

Thanks.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I was running water/meth on my car for a little over 1.5 years. The meth pump failed so I pulled the system out. Never tracked the car as it was my daily. I wasn't using mine strictly for cooling and my car was tuned more aggressively because of the system. From what I've read online the reliability of these systems are suspect and I can confirm this to be the case for me.

BTW, I was running an AEM system with their fail safe gauge.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Too many horror stories from my Subaru days with people having systems fail and grenading an engine.

I'd be interested in what system Jay is using, seems he's had good luck with it.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
If using it for IATs and not fueling purposes, it shouldn’t be so risky. Especially with fail safes in place.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Too many horror stories from my Subaru days with people having systems fail and grenading an engine.

I'd be interested in what system Jay is using, seems he's had good luck with it.
My guess would be install errors. With solenoids in the right place I don't see how it would grenade an engine. I'm using a snow performance kit with 2 nozzles, one at the throttle body spacer (mine is a mk6) and one in throttle body pipe.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If using it for IATs and not fueling purposes, it shouldn’t be so risky. Especially with fail safes in place.
If it's being injected into the manifold, it becomes fuel, no? Lower IATs are just a benefit of that. I would definitely want a good failsafe.

It's also not legal for SCCA events. Or maybe if it's stored in a fuel cell.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My guess would be install errors. With solenoids in the right place I don't see how it would grenade an engine. I'm using a snow performance kit with 2 nozzles, one at the throttle body spacer (mine is a mk6) and one in throttle body pipe.
Have you had any issues with track day or TT sanctioning bodies considering it a fuel and requiring a proper fuel tank or cell? I know SCCA is pretty prudish on meth.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
I personally like meth but I've never had it fail. My valves were also spotless at 50,000km when I thought I needed a carbon service. I do not have an kind of failsafe and you can roast through a gallon in no time at the track.

Last edited:

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Have you had any issues with track day or TT sanctioning bodies considering it a fuel and requiring a proper fuel tank or cell? I know SCCA is pretty prudish on meth.
Not at all. It's not flammable when mixed with water, I've tried to ignite it even when mixed heavy on meth. I mostly do hpde events because I don't care about trophies and want cheap seat time. The one tt event I did last year I was in the unlimited class because of all my mods but they didn't say anything about the meth. (Got destroyed in the unlimited class but that's a different conversation 😃)

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
If it's being injected into the manifold, it becomes fuel, no? Lower IATs are just a benefit of that. I would definitely want a good failsafe.

It's also not legal for SCCA events. Or maybe if it's stored in a fuel cell.
I guess I meant if you're not relying on it to run excessive amounts of timing and boost.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Not at all. It's not flammable when mixed with water, I've tried to ignite it even when mixed heavy on meth. I mostly do hpde events because I don't care about trophies and want cheap seat time. The one tt event I did last year I was in the unlimited class because of all my mods but they didn't say anything about the meth. (Got destroyed in the unlimited class but that's a different conversation 😃)

I know it isn't flammable when mixed 50/50. Try telling SCCA that. They're pretty uptight about it. I have no idea why.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I know it isn't flammable when mixed 50/50. Try telling SCCA that. They're pretty uptight about it. I have no idea why.
Must be a regional thing, my buddy is involved with scca and has the same setup as I do. Same tank, mounted in the same location and he has no issues