GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why did you choose the mk7 golf/gti/r?

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
Ive owned MK3 and MK5 GTIs, and B5 and B7 A4s. The A4 had 170k miles on it, needed a new clutch soon, and the heater no longer blowed hot. It was time to let go. I havent owned an automatic car for a long time, so I thought I'd give DSG a shot. I'm a Sales Manager for a Global Logistics company and I use the GTI for client visits. Its fun to drive, well equiped, fuel efficient, the interior is well deisigned. The GTI is classless. When you show up in the GTI, it doesnt scream "I'm rich!", yet they are daily driven by the likes of Jeremy Clarkson, Robert Downey Jr, and Mark Zuckerberg. The GTI is the swiss army knife of cars, and thats why I chose to buy one.

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Ive owned MK3 and MK5 GTIs, and B5 and B7 A4s. The A4 had 170k miles on it, needed a new clutch soon, and the heater no longer blowed hot. It was time to let go. I havent owned an automatic car for a long time, so I thought I'd give DSG a shot. I'm a Sales Manager for a Global Logistics company and I use the GTI for client visits. Its fun to drive, well equiped, fuel efficient, the interior is well deisigned. The GTI is classless. When you show up in the GTI, it doesnt scream "I'm rich!", yet they are daily driven by the likes of Jeremy Clarkson, Robert Downey Jr, and Mark Zuckerberg. The GTI is the swiss army knife of cars, and thats why I chose to buy one.

So far, Clarkson hasn’t missed a beat on his reviews for me.

1: He said the Ferrari 458 was one of his favorite moments within a Ferrari. I got to drive one in Vegas, he wasn’t kidding.

2: The GTI. He loved it and so do I.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
My legs and back issues were getting worse. It was painful to drive a stick. So I knew I had to get an automatic transmission. But it had to be a good automatic transmission.

so I got a gti. Cuz I don’t have rs3 money.
Hopefully the current gen rs3's go down in price. I believe they're on the gen4 now? I could be wrong. Love the styling of the current gen.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Went from a 2012 V6 Mustang (shut up, I know it‘s not a V8 but I’ll get to that momentarily) to this. Had to become more “practical“. More doors, more storage. You get the idea.

HOWEVER, I will say I do miss the other car. Although it was American made I rarely had a mechanical issue with it. Maintenance was a breeze, applying mods couldn’t have been any easier and the price to get everything done was astonishing. Let me explain:

- Installed some LED lights (plug and play) - $200
- BBK CAI (simple but thats never a daunting task for most vehicles) - $300
- Re-sprayed and installed a rear lip off a GT - $100
- GT aluminum polished rims - $500 + Michelin Super Sports $1,200 (worth every penny)
- Tune - $300
- OEM Mustang side badges, 3M (tough to find but very inexpensive, $50)
- Trident Motorsport custom axle back exhaust - $300 (I avoided buying regular brand and found these puppies through some YouTube reviews. the quality was incredible, saved at least 20lbs on the car and the sound was immaculate. Company has gone out of business I think but i’d do that all over again).

Unfortunately the mileage caught up and the paint on the hood kept chipping/ rusting from under, looked pretty nasty so I decided to trade it in for the GTI. Now I’m aiming to get all the basic mods on the car before 50K.

So far, on schedule :D

Attachments

• Tractor[1].JPG
    Tractor[1].JPG
    92 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20170704_120950281_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170704_120950281_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
  • _MG_2765_1.jpg
    _MG_2765_1.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 59

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
my 12 V6 MT with performance package.....full suspension/drop.

I had a rental of a Tiguan and was so impressed I sold stang and got GTI. The GTI is more fun and feels faster but the Stang was slightly fastrer. Either one goes faster than anyone should go on the street. I traded looks for practicality and more drivers feel. I do miss the jelli stares but if the GTI continues to be reliable it'll be one of the best cars I've owned

one pic shows summer/winter shoes

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Do you miss RWD? After being in a Camaro SS, I miss that type of drivetrain a lot. Especially doing burnouts.
Something wrong with reverse? I kid, mostly. I'd had rwd cars for the last twenty years and do miss it, especially after moving from a place with no good driving roads (Dallas) to one with excellent ones (Austin.) But outside of the Toyota GT86, everything is a porky and large thing. The M2 is 600 pounds heavier than my car and the rear windows don't go down, so my dog won't have it. I'd love a sub 3,200 pound rwd sedan or hatch with all three pedals, but I think my only option will be to buy something older, and I've already had most of what interested me in that flavor.

Koenna

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17' Alltrack SEL
I'm originally form Germany and used to drive the last three Skoda Superb (Cheaper Passat basically) models for years as company cars. Loved them, because of the quality, space and engines. Then moved to Boston and my company gave me rental cars for 3 years. Probably drove 50 different cars over that time period. Now with covid things changed and rental cars aren't worth it without travelling. I'm 6ft9in and had issues finding the right car. We wanted a wagon for sure and I wanted something different than VW. Budget only allowed used cars and the previous BMW/MB/Audi wagon models aren't that spacious for tall people. So ended up looking at VW AGAIN! Only the Alltrack offered the package off a nice interior, Nice lights, Pano roof and AWD&DSG. Very nice car, but had to transform into a GTI/R clone with IS20/R DP and IC, Full suspension etc. . Like it a lot, but would have loved a BMW 535 or 335 grand coupe with FBO and some E to have a +400WHP wagon!

So sad that VW doesn"t offer the R wagons in NA...Aerteon or Golf would be awesome o_O

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
So sad that VW doesn"t offer the R wagons in NA...Aerteon or Golf would be awesome o_O
I'd have bought a Golf R wagon if it had been available, but since I've had the GTI, I've learned that it's plenty big enough for our 6 year old kid and our 8 year old dog.

Koenna

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17' Alltrack SEL
yeah was considering a GTI or R hatch too, but I think wagons are just in my nature and I like to have the roomy feel + cargo space if needed. Must be the German genes...Majority of the new larger cars are still wagons there, but suvs are slowly taking over too.

Jozooka

Go Kart Newbie
A V70R! A clean, 6mt version of that was my dream car for about a year. It's almost impossible to find a clean one with a stick, though. 😔
I like high performance "normal people" cars as well as muscle cars so I have gone from Mustang GT, Camaro Z28 to C6 Corvette with a (reasonably) high performance Volvo V70R thrown in between the Camaro and Corvette.

Because the Corvette was starting to nickel and dime me to death and I did not like the current crop of muscle cars (all way too big and not modern looking at all) and did not want to pay for a new Corvette or the cost of a Porsche, Audi RS something or else, etc. I looked for something that was roughly as fast as the C6, more practical, and easier for my wife to get in and out of (for several years it was not fun watching her painfully struggle.) The Mk7.5 R seemed to check off all the boxes and was reasonably priced.

For now, it works. I wouldn't mind an RS3 but they are still more than I'm willing to pay. So the Golf R is what I got.
I came from a V70R that was totaled when someone texting hit me at a stop sign. To replace it I wanted something with a hatch, decent performance, and around $20K - that is a pretty short list and the GTI was the easy winner. I miss the uniqueness of the V70R and the AWD - a Golf R would be a better replacement but I couldn't justify the cost premium over the GTI.