GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why did you choose the mk7 golf/gti/r?

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Wanted the sportiest 4 door sedan I could afford. I tested a Focus ST and was underwhelmed. After that the GTI was a no-brainer. There’s a reason that it’s still on Car and Drivers 2021 10 best list even as it’s replacement is on the horizon.
I almost got a ST, but I was kind of underwhelmed about the space the interior had. I also didn't like the infotainment. I reconsidered, it would of been a huge downgrade for me. Glad I stuck with the GTI.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Your mom was already taken.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Do you think the 7 speed dsg is more quiet as well? I heard that the dsg 'farts' were far less aggressive than previous gens.
Yeah, it is. My brother's 2017 GTI had the 6-speed DSG and you'd get the farts/burps all the time. They farts are basically non-existent with the 7-speed, which is really too bad. I thought they were a fun characteristic of the car.

The 7-speed otherwise shifts as fast as you'd expect most of the time, but my biggest gripe is that there's sometimes a pretty bad delay / hesitation to downshift when I get on the throttle for something like a passing maneuver, for example. Using the paddles addresses that just fine, but sometimes if I'm just being extra lazy, it'd be nice if it would kick down quickly without needing to do anything extra. The 7-speed seems pretty hesitant to kick down more than one gear at a time compared to other transmissions I've driven. Milder acceleration demands where it drops down only one gear are otherwise just fine.

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
I was at bowling league on a Wednesday night and saw an add for the GTI on my phone and thought to myself "I want one". So I searched around the next 2 nights on the internet at local dealers. I actually wasn't very concerned if it was a 6MT or a DSG but I just happened to see a good deal on a SE with experience package 6 MT. I went Saturday and test drove it and bought it lol. I gave my 2000 Celica GTS that I did a fair amount of mods too to my son. Part of me still misses it but I love the GTI also. I guess you could say it was an impulse buy.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Yeah, it is. My brother's 2017 GTI had the 6-speed DSG and you'd get the farts/burps all the time. They farts are basically non-existent with the 7-speed, which is really too bad. I thought they were a fun characteristic of the car.

The 7-speed otherwise shifts as fast as you'd expect most of the time, but my biggest gripe is that there's sometimes a pretty bad delay / hesitation to downshift when I get on the throttle for something like a passing maneuver, for example. Using the paddles addresses that just fine, but sometimes if I'm just being extra lazy, it'd be nice if it would kick down quickly without needing to do anything extra. The 7-speed seems pretty hesitant to kick down more than one gear at a time compared to other transmissions I've driven. Milder acceleration demands where it drops down only one gear are otherwise just fine.
Interesting. Has there been any tunes for the 7 speed yet? I would assume so, but I haven't looked into it.
At the same time, having an extra gear can also be a benefit as well, small trade offs.

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Went from a 2012 V6 Mustang (shut up, I know it‘s not a V8 but I’ll get to that momentarily) to this. Had to become more “practical“. More doors, more storage. You get the idea.

HOWEVER, I will say I do miss the other car. Although it was American made I rarely had a mechanical issue with it. Maintenance was a breeze, applying mods couldn’t have been any easier and the price to get everything done was astonishing. Let me explain:

- Installed some LED lights (plug and play) - $200
- BBK CAI (simple but thats never a daunting task for most vehicles) - $300
- Re-sprayed and installed a rear lip off a GT - $100
- GT aluminum polished rims - $500 + Michelin Super Sports $1,200 (worth every penny)
- Tune - $300
- OEM Mustang side badges, 3M (tough to find but very inexpensive, $50)
- Trident Motorsport custom axle back exhaust - $300 (I avoided buying regular brand and found these puppies through some YouTube reviews. the quality was incredible, saved at least 20lbs on the car and the sound was immaculate. Company has gone out of business I think but i’d do that all over again).

Unfortunately the mileage caught up and the paint on the hood kept chipping/ rusting from under, looked pretty nasty so I decided to trade it in for the GTI. Now I’m aiming to get all the basic mods on the car before 50K.

So far, on schedule :D

Attachments

• 102106B8-17C3-47C6-82D4-AB35174CD958.jpeg
    102106B8-17C3-47C6-82D4-AB35174CD958.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 304338A8-2D30-4654-986A-41CF1261B6C7.jpeg
    304338A8-2D30-4654-986A-41CF1261B6C7.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 66

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Drove manuals all my life and i was looking into an automatic to replace my B8.5 A4 due to knee issues. I looked into various options but nothing brought in an overall package (DSG, practicality, hatch, fun / money ratio) like the GTI. After looking for sometime, i bought a 2016 Autobahn and became a big fan of the vehicle / platform. Had it for almost 2 years and replaced it with a Durango RT to meet family needs.

Even though it was a fun suv, i missed GTI big time. I wanted to buy another GTI towards the end of MK7 MYs as i didn want the next generation with too much technology. When VW announced that they will not be continuing People's warranty for MY20, i seriously started looking into a MY19. Found a great deal on 2019 Rabbit and i am an extremely happy owner. This one is going to stay in the garage for a long time.

Mk7tsi3door

Go Kart Newbie
I wanted something cheaper and better on gas then my Tiguan, test drove my golf launch edition in the parking lot of the dealer, the turbo went “pew” after goosing it in first gear, and it was very cheap (19k Canadian, next closest golf was 23 or so)

I’m very pleasantly surprised (and lucky with) how much I like it after almost 4 years now, my next car will certainly get a more rigorous test drive.

8T_BoCO

Passed Driver's Ed
It was the only (AFAIK) affordable AWD, turbo, manual wagon in our market in 2019. Warranty made the sale.
I thought it was the vehicle they should have been offering here since the Golf MK4 got 4motion.