GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why could my Stage 1+ Unitronic GTI be losing power?

DThissen

Ready to race!
Like the title says, Stage 1+ (93 Octane) Unitronic tune. Some background: The car has 36,000 miles and has been running 93 octane for months now even though the tune is new. However, when I'm taking the on ramp to the interstate and I'm WOT in third gear, the engine cuts off around 5500rpm. It's not the clutch slipping. It's just like the engine bogs down and loses power and the RPMs briefly drop. No codes or CELs thrown. Only other "mods" are the intake snow grate removal, K&N oiled filter, and a CTS turbo inlet pipe.
I had a similar issue with my 19R, around 5000rpm at WOT I would get a very abrupt boost cut, no cel/epc/codes. The dealership did a waste gate adaptation and it solved the issue.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
9B016532-0615-4D97-B9E3-E1CBC0098FA3.jpeg

Figured I’d give new plugs a chance and see if it happens again. Will test drive it at some point today or tomorrow.

OP, how much gas would you say was in the tank when you experience this?

Gas level doesn’t seem to be the issue as it happened once when I had a 1/4 tank and happened again when I had 3/4.

sheepbomb

I have this happen regularly on my Uni 1+, but only on an initial pull before the engine has really warmed up. Usually in 3rd gear, always around 5500 RPM. Doesn't exactly feel like a power loss, more like it's being rev-limited. I've been running it for probably 2 years/30k miles, upgraded to RS7 plugs and replaced the coil packs maybe a year ago. No other perf tunes or error codes to speak of.

Once the engine hits normal temps it pulls great. Usually within 5 mins even in the NY winter. Occasionally I search around to see if anyone has experienced something like this and this is the first I've heard of something similar. Other than this blip I'm really happy with it.

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I have this happen regularly on my Uni 1+, but only on an initial pull before the engine has really warmed up. Usually in 3rd gear, always around 5500 RPM. Doesn't exactly feel like a power loss, more like it's being rev-limited.

Once the engine hits normal temps it pulls great. Usually within 5 mins even in the NY winter.

Bro... you rev to 5500 RPM before you’re up to temp? I don’t exceed 2.5K until I’m at like 150/160, and even then don’t floor it till 200+.

before you’re up to temp the engine is running extremely rich. That’s why it’s not giving you the power you want. And in general, please don’t even try to give it any more than like 20% throttle and don’t exceed 2500 RPM until 150+. Bad for turbo, bad for business, bad for just about everything.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I live right off a busy 55mph road with a 90° onramp, so I regularly floor it from a standing stop. I don't check the temp everytime before I do this. I would say I get the power drop a few times a month?
I wouldn't do that unless your oil temp is up to at least 180*.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I live right off a busy 55mph road with a 90° onramp, so I regularly floor it from a standing stop. I don't check the temp everytime before I do this. I would say I get the power drop a few times a month?

yeah if this happens with relative frequency, just in light of wheee you live and how you typically leave home to get places, I would suggest taking the scenic route. Maybe hop on the next highway exit, just giving the engine more time to heat up before pulling onto highway. When I make 5-minute trips to the store and back, I take a 10-minute roundabout trip on the way to the destination just to let the engine heat up a bit before I get there. If you don’t plan on owning the car more than 60-80K miles it’s likely not an issue lol

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
yeah if this happens with relative frequency, just in light of wheee you live and how you typically leave home to get places, I would suggest taking the scenic route. Maybe hop on the next highway exit, just giving the engine more time to heat up before pulling onto highway. When I make 5-minute trips to the store and back, I take a 10-minute roundabout trip on the way to the destination just to let the engine heat up a bit before I get there. If you don’t plan on owning the car more than 60-80K miles it’s likely not an issue lol
I do the same thing. Plus I hate it when somebody pulls beside you and wants to go and my oil temp is 130*.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion

I have one of these, except it's about 80mph going up a hill with two lanes and everyone jockeying for position to try and get to the offramp a few miles up the road before everyone else. It's especially comical when there's some dingus (or multiple) in the left lane who can't even make 65mph and won't move out of the way.

I'm usually barely even showing any temp reading at the point where I pull on. I'll let it go to 4k rpms in order to get by everyone.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have one of these, except it's about 80mph going up a hill with two lanes and everyone jockeying for position to try and get to the offramp a few miles up the road before everyone else. It's especially comical when there's some dingus (or multiple) in the left lane who can't even make 65mph and won't move out of the way.

I'm usually barely even showing any temp reading at the point where I pull on. I'll let it go to 4k rpms in order to get by everyone.
Note to self. Don't buy a used car from Ridebjj. 😂