GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why can't service centers just change the oil properly?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
The extractor is the problem. Rather, lazy fucks using the extractor. It doesn’t get all the oil out. It can leave 50-600ml behind. Clearly dude didn’t suck all the oil out of the engine. He probably threw 6 qts in there and called it a day.

With the extractor. You gotta toss in 5 and a half quarts. Let the motor run at least 5 minutes. Turn it off. Wait a minute or two. Then measure and add if needed.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
How times change. When I had my first 2 jobs as a teenager, both at minimum wage at the time ($2/hr & $2.25/hr), all I wanted to do was to master my simple jobs, work hard and move up to better-paying positions. Nowadays, if someone is working a minimum wage job, their attitude is "fuck it" and that somebody owes them a better wage. Not a good trend.
my friends sister is head of a hr, she has a hard time finding anyone younger to hire because they all think they are entitled to more money, and insist on certain days off in the first few weeks of employment, without any experience and shotty employment history, this wasnt from one or two applicants, but her experience in the past few years

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I've changed my own oil in every car I've owned for the last almost 40 years and I've never used an extractor. I have these things called jacks and jack stands and know how to use a screwdriver and wrench as well as pour the old oil into the new container I just emptied and get it recycled. I just changed it last week and it took a while for it to all drain out but I definitely got about 5.5 quarts out.

In the '18 R I changed it at 1800, 5000 and 9500 and got just about all 6 quarts out each time. If any car I've owned used a quart every 1000 miles I would no longer own that car.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I've changed my own oil in every car I've owned for the last almost 40 years and I've never used an extractor. I have these things called jacks and jack stands and know how to use a screwdriver and wrench as well as pour the old oil into the new container I just emptied and get it recycled. I just changed it last week and it took a while for it to all drain out but I definitely got about 5.5 quarts out.

In the '18 R I changed it at 1800, 5000 and 9500 and got just about all 6 quarts out each time. If any car I've owned used a quart every 1000 miles I would no longer own that car.
Even the ol sti didn’t chug that much oil. It was more like half a quart in a period of 3000 miles. Mind you the ej25 sips oil

PureWhiteMk7

Go Kart Newbie
It's amazing how old people often try to relate their upbringing as if it's applicable to today. It's funny that it's usually older people who treat minimum wage employees like dog shit too.
But that's besides the point of the OP.

OP, oil changes don't make much money for the dealership. In your case, net negative because you're not paying anything. They're trying to get you out of a bay as fast as possible to get another car in to generate actual revenue. For a majority of consumers, most people won't even pop their hood, let alone check the dipstick. There's a sensor that tells the dumdums if it's too low, and .5qt won't cause any damage to the motor. You get what you pay for.

I know they don't make much but they are getting paid by VW since it was listed on the window sticker. Granted I paid way less than sticker but that's not the point.
If we all change oil properly why can't a professional how does it for a living?

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
I know they don't make much but they are getting paid by VW since it was listed on the window sticker. Granted I paid way less than sticker but that's not the point.
If we all change oil properly why can't a professional how does it for a living?
most people don't raise a fuss, or complain, letting shit service happen all the time, if everyone with issues complained ,raised a fuss, squeaky wheel, took time to compain to vw, post, they'd listen when people started going elsewhere for sevices

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
most people don't raise a fuss, or complain, letting shit service happen all the time, if everyone with issues complained ,raised a fuss, squeaky wheel, took time to compain to vw, post, they'd listen when people started going elsewhere for sevices
This. When people become complacent shitty work becomes the norm

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
This. When people become complacent shitty work becomes the norm
also vw sends me satisfaction surveys almost every time I go in, the way the service pushes me to give all 10s makes me believe they are important to their take home, I'd definitely put my concerns in those surveys,

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
also vw sends me satisfaction surveys almost every time I go in, the way the service pushes me to give all 10s makes me believe they are important to their take home, I'd definitely put my concerns in those surveys,
Oh yeah. The service manager gets a monthly ass chewing on those iirc. Very true

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Its a really negligible amount that gets left behind. You can always pour in like half a quart of fresh oil and extract that back out out. I got about 6 quarts out on my last oil change.
It depends who does it and how much of a fuck they give.

Up to 50-600ml can be left behind, and that’s if you give a fuck. Ever hear about people who measure after an oil change at the dealer and they’re over by half a qt? That’s because dude who did the oil change left half a qt of old oil in the pan. And decided to just add 6 and call it a day.

Imagine following vw’s maintenance plan. Changing your oil every 10k miles. Yet carrying a significant overage due to someone not sucking more of it out.

No thanks. Fuck extractors. I remember when they were first rolled into my dealership. Dude who was showing us how to use it sucked as much as possible. Lifted the car. Removed the plug. We measured out about 150-200ml.

Nope. Extractor oil changes should be cheaper considering the job isn’t being done right.