GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why can't service centers just change the oil properly?

PureWhiteMk7

Go Kart Newbie
So I went to a local dealer to get my oil changed (my car came with 2 services rolled into the deal) and of course
they overfilled by 1/2 quart and overfilled coolant by 12 ounces. Even after I said to the service advisor please make sure nothing
is overfilled as I will not accept it. To top it off there were drips and smears all over the engine. Why can't dealers just do it correctly?
It's just as easy as F-ing it up. I filled out the survey and got a call the next day from the manager and he was sorry but hemmed and hawed
and I told him high heat turbo engines are notorious for leaking anyway and they should be doing it correctly every time.
So free service coming if I want it. I mean are they trying to F cars up? I don't get it. OK rant over. 😎

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Because they pay a kid minimum wage to do those jobs. He doesn’t care.

How times change. When I had my first 2 jobs as a teenager, both at minimum wage at the time ($2/hr & $2.25/hr), all I wanted to do was to master my simple jobs, work hard and move up to better-paying positions. Nowadays, if someone is working a minimum wage job, their attitude is "fuck it" and that somebody owes them a better wage. Not a good trend.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
“High heat turbo engines are notorious for leaking...”

Care to elaborate?

VW’s official acceptable amount of oil consumption in their turbo engines is .5 quarts per 1K miles. Their factory OCI is 10K, and the engines take approximately 5 quarts.

Read that again

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
How times change. When I had my first 2 jobs as a teenager, both at minimum wage at the time ($2/hr & $2.25/hr), all I wanted to do was to master my simple jobs, work hard and move up to better-paying positions. Nowadays, if someone is working a minimum wage job, their attitude is "fuck it" and that somebody owes them a better wage. Not a good trend.
I think you'll find the issue is that companies no longer have loyalty to the employee. There are no more "Gold watch" ceremonies and moving up isn't always guaranteed. You're a cost that produces more for them than your cost at the end of the day. So long as you carry on with that, they could care less.

Edit: Isn't overfilling the oil bad for the turbo?.. I recall reading that somewhere, but maybe it was MK6 related.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
This is why one should do or learn to do most of these types of services for their cars.

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
VW’s official acceptable amount of oil consumption in their turbo engines is .5 quarts per 1K miles. Their factory OCI is 10K, and the engines take approximately 5 quarts.

Read that again
I thought most car companies will say 1 QT every 1000 miles is within specs.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
So I went to a local dealer to get my oil changed (my car came with 2 services rolled into the deal) and of course
they overfilled by 1/2 quart and overfilled coolant by 12 ounces. Even after I said to the service advisor please make sure nothing
is overfilled as I will not accept it. To top it off there were drips and smears all over the engine. Why can't dealers just do it correctly?
It's just as easy as F-ing it up. I filled out the survey and got a call the next day from the manager and he was sorry but hemmed and hawed
and I told him high heat turbo engines are notorious for leaking anyway and they should be doing it correctly every time.
So free service coming if I want it. I mean are they trying to F cars up? I don't get it. OK rant over. 😎
If you want it done right, do it yourself.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R

It's amazing how old people often try to relate their upbringing as if it's applicable to today. It's funny that it's usually older people who treat minimum wage employees like dog shit too.
But that's besides the point of the OP.

OP, oil changes don't make much money for the dealership. In your case, net negative because you're not paying anything. They're trying to get you out of a bay as fast as possible to get another car in to generate actual revenue. For a majority of consumers, most people won't even pop their hood, let alone check the dipstick. There's a sensor that tells the dumdums if it's too low, and .5qt won't cause any damage to the motor. You get what you pay for.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Read that again

The quote you copied said leaking oil not burning. And it takes 6 quarts.