GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why can't service centers just change the oil properly?

cb1111

Let me see if I can put this to rest. I've said this a bunch of times before:

If you mod, you need to be mentally and financially prepared to pay for what your mod breaks. You need to understand what your warranty does, and does not, cover and you need to be brutally honest with yourself about figuring out what systems might be affected by your mod - especially those things that might not be readily obvious.

And the dealer should be capable of doing an oil change and service to VW specs.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
The extractor is the problem. Rather, lazy fucks using the extractor. It doesn’t get all the oil out. It can leave 50-600ml behind. Clearly dude didn’t suck all the oil out of the engine. He probably threw 6 qts in there and called it a day.

With the extractor. You gotta toss in 5 and a half quarts. Let the motor run at least 5 minutes. Turn it off. Wait a minute or two. Then measure and add if needed.
I've never had this issue and I've used the extractor on every oil change on my car except the first one. I pull the drain plug after extractor finishes sucking it out and rarely does any excess spill out, maybe a teaspoon or two but never more. Laziness is the issue, not the tool.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I've never had this issue and I've used the extractor on every oil change on my car except the first one. I pull the drain plug after extractor finishes sucking it out and rarely does any excess spill out, maybe a teaspoon or two but never more. Laziness is the issue, not the tool.

It will be either laziness or just rushing to get the job done and onto the next in the dealerships /service places.

I always take the time to try and get it all out when doing myself with the extractor - jiggle the tube once it starts sucking air and try to pump out the dregs. I doubt any volume work type place would go to that trouble...they probably just call it good the minute the pump sucks air.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Everything is somebody else's fault these days. Rather than saying "whoops, maybe I phrased that wrong" it so much easier to blame ESL/dyslexia/noisy neighbors/phase of the moon/anything but "I screwed up"
The plague of my generation seems like. I learned the behavior from my dad as I'd be willing to bet most of "us" did. This is a "quality" that I have been actively working on improving. No point in having a big ego when you make a mistake

It will be either laziness or just rushing to get the job done and onto the next in the dealerships /service places.

I always take the time to try and get it all out when doing myself with the extractor - jiggle the tube once it starts sucking air and try to pump out the dregs. I doubt any volume work type place would go to that trouble...they probably just call it good the minute the pump sucks air.
Youre probably right. Someone mentioned before the oil change is the lowest priority job in the shop that they dont make money on so the turnover needs to be high. they rush to finish it as fast as they can