GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why can't I get rid of this car?

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I've had mine since May of 2015 and just clicked over 90k. And prior to it, I had a MK6 GTI.
I just figured I'd get the MK8 when it came out, but that time has come and gone and I don't see any reason to "upgrade" (although I was considering making the jump to the R but they were hard to find and always had a $10k markup).
At this point, I will wait to see what the 8.5 has to offer But with 2024 being the last year of the M/T, I'm a little conflicted.
However part of me thinks it is time to try something different...but I don't even know what that would be!

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Got my US GTI in March 2017, took it home w/ me to Germany in 2019.

Working in the automotive industry I get to drive quite a few different prototype/new cars every year, and whatever National or Europcar has to offer during numerous work trips.

I still enjoy to get home and jump into my MK7 every single time. Getting older I strongly consider to get a bigger CarPlay screen…

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
It can't be just me, right? Are there others out there who just can't seem to get rid of their Gti?
It depends on the car. I had cars for 3 years, 6 years, 19 years, 7 years, 4.5 years and 5.6 years. The longest was my 1995 Camaro Z28 which I had no real reason to get rid of until it finally started to "fall apart" and I just needed to let it go and get a more modern car. So it's not that I couldn't get rid of it, rather I didn't need to or want to. I'll probably have the Golf R for a while since any replacement for it is going to be an upgrade and more expensive and, so far, this one does what I need it to do.

ECNMY R

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
R, RS3, GTS 4.0
Not just you, my friend, the Mk7 is a masterpiece. I had to get a 718 to find a dynamic upgrade, and I kept the R because it's still fun as hell in its own way.

Also one of the most attractive designs on the road at any price.

5.5 years and 42k miles, lots more mods planned. It isn't going anywhere.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
A little over 7 years and 60k in my MK7 here. Close to a decade and 100k in my MKV before that, so I've been in a GTI for a while now. I've struggled to find something that I would move onto other than something that offers a bit more homeowner/motocross rider utility like a truck, but more and more I just lean towards picking up a 5x8' trailer.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I thought the same until a few weeks ago when I was standing at the pump and realized I'm paying $70+ in gas for a car that gets an average of 20mpg (indicated and calculated). Today I'm picking up a '23 Chevy Bolt EUV and selling the GTI.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'm on my 3rd 7/7.5 for a reason.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I have a 2016R with every option any only 28K miles. If I needed a new car right now it would be a new MK8R. I can afford better, but it wouldn't have the combination of ride quality, utility, and power. I suggest the OP try a new R with the performance package if he's so anxious to get tickets. :) Down here, you'll get arrested, and your car impounded driving where you need to worry about understeer. And tickets. I don't have the features of the new R's, and I have no problem overcoming what little understeer the R exhibits. Perhaps because I drove professionally for a short time when I much younger and studied vehicle dynamics.

Last edited:

SierraCarrera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Sport, 981 CS
Not just you, my friend, the Mk7 is a masterpiece. I had to get a 718 to find a dynamic upgrade, and I kept the R because it's still fun as hell in its own way.

Also one of the most attractive designs on the road at any price.

5.5 years and 42k miles, lots more mods planned. It isn't going anywhere.
That's the move! I got a '14 Cayman S for a hell of a deal and I still enjoy the GTI equally as much. Porsche tax for any mods and even maintenance, is painful

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
this is an MK7/GTI forum and we like these cars. I have a '17 GTI and still consider it brand new. Only 52000 miles

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I thought the same until a few weeks ago when I was standing at the pump and realized I'm paying $70+ in gas for a car that gets an average of 20mpg (indicated and calculated). Today I'm picking up a '23 Chevy Bolt EUV and selling the GTI.
20? Wow that's low. I tend to average 25 overall and 32 on the highway, so surprised at 20!
I have a 2016R with every option any only 28K miles. If I needed a new car right now it would be a new MK8R. I can afford better, but it wouldn't have the combination of ride quality, utility, and power. I suggest the OP try a new R with the performance package if he's so anxious to get tickets. :) Down here, you'll get arrested, and your car impounded driving where you need to worry about understeer. And tickets. I don't have the features of the new R's, and I have no problem overcoming what little understeer the R exhibits. Perhaps because I drove professionally for a short time when I much younger and studied vehicle dynamics.
I go to the track occasionally with it, especially when I rent out a track to myself and a friend or two for the day. I have a dedicated car, but the gti is just stupid fun to toss around on track when I get the opportunity. It used to do 10-12 events per year, but now it's been relegated to roughly 2 per year. It's no stripped out racecar with baffled pan, anti surge, dry sump, no accessories, and titanium control arm spherical suspension, but it's an absolute joy to toss around. The rear end loves to constantly hang out, and that's what makes it so fun. When I take friends out to the track, I use it as my teaching aid car. It's 10x easier to drive for a novice and so much safer to push hard. Mistakes don't come nearly as fast.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Like everyone else is saying - these are great cars which do everything, especially if they are your one and only car. Had mine nearly 6 years now. Acts like a mini SUV when you need it to be - I've gotten so much stuff in the back with the seats folded down during trips to Lowes etc. Its also an all round grocery getter and school runner - but then goes all the way through to cranking on the back roads and occasional track days. Great modding community with a lot of support and how-to's out there; you can do as much or as little as you like.

I liked my GTI so much, I bought my daughter her high-miler 1.8TSi. Very little has gone wrong with my own low mile car, but hers, if you've seen my other threads, has required quite a bit of work - which I did 100% DIY and even at 150k miles that motor is solid, running better than new. I love that what I've done on that will translate over to my own or any other MQB car for that matter; I now know much more about this platform than any other car I've owned, have got several special tools and adapters etc; it would be hard for me to throw away all that knowledge and confidence gained to start over with something else.

Alas, in about a year or so, I will have to get rid of my GTI - because after 20 years in the US I am going to be moving back to my native rural England. Where I will buy.....another Mk7 GTI. Actually, I may even get an R, as the price delta between a PP GTI and R is minimal in the UK; I'll buy whichever decent example comes up first. Clubsport would also be an option.....but prices on those are continually on the up. Looking forward to having endless twisty country roads on my doorstep again rather than these boring Florida straight and congested highways!