GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why an R?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You'll be waiting a long time.

Highly doubt that we here in the U.S. will ever see it.

I doubt it too, unless the torque is tuned down. With an APR Stage 1 tune they estimate 380HP, crank I think. They don't say if this estimate is for the bare engine with no accessories.

hoops

Hey guys.
New to this forum... Was going to start a new thread as the search gave nothing. but thought I'd ask in here first.

Have been offered a pretty good discount off list price from my local dealer (UK) on an R. Am heading back on saturday to possibly place an order. I'm just trying to work out what extras I want to include in the deal. It'll be a 3 door DSG model, in black.

I deffo want Leather (as the standard interior looks a bit ropey), Sat Nav, Keyless Entry, and Remote Folding Mirrors.
Is there anything else any of you existing owners recommend? Is the DCC worth it?

I am trading in my 63 plate Scirocco TDI DSG R Line (177), and that has DCC on it, but any noticeable difference in settings is negligible IMHO.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Is there anything else any of you existing owners recommend? Is the DCC worth it?

I am trading in my 63 plate Scirocco TDI DSG R Line (177), and that has DCC on it, but any noticeable difference in settings is negligible IMHO.

DCC is totally worth it. "Comfort" is a do-able around the town daily commute mode, whereas "Race" is definitely meant for hitting the gas and heading for some back roads. It really turns a very good car to drive into a great one to live with whilst wearing either a hailo or a pair of horns.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
DCC is totally worth it. "Comfort" is a do-able around the town daily commute mode, whereas "Race" is definitely meant for hitting the gas and heading for some back roads. It really turns a very good car to drive into a great one to live with whilst wearing either a hailo or a pair of horns.

Al, I can't remember if you already commented on it, but, how is comfort mode holding up with the Philly pot holes?

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Hey guys.
New to this forum... Was going to start a new thread as the search gave nothing. but thought I'd ask in here first.

Have been offered a pretty good discount off list price from my local dealer (UK) on an R. Am heading back on saturday to possibly place an order. I'm just trying to work out what extras I want to include in the deal. It'll be a 3 door DSG model, in black.

I deffo want Leather (as the standard interior looks a bit ropey), Sat Nav, Keyless Entry, and Remote Folding Mirrors.

AFAIK: The Scirocco uses the old system which only affects each axle (2-way) whereas the new system affects each wheel (4-way) and is more noticeable.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Al, I can't remember if you already commented on it, but, how is comfort mode holding up with the Philly pot holes?

I don't have a Golf R, nor do I have DCC, however I can say that the stock MK7 GTI suspension holds up to the potholes around Philly much better than my MK6 did. Barely any NVH, this thing just eats em up (not that I don't do my best to avoid them) I'd imagine the R's DCC in comfort would be even better.

hoops

AFAIK: The Scirocco uses the old system which only affects each axle (2-way) whereas the new system affects each wheel (4-way) and is more noticeable.

Thanks for the info!
Is the DCC system on the R the system i've seen in review videos that lets you choose race, comfort or eco (and also custom?)? I thought that was standard and relates to engine mangement rather than suspension set up?

Have not managed to test driven an R, only a GTI with the performance pack, so please excuse my ignorance!

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie

So far so good, although I try to avoid hitting them whenever possible. That said, I was on I-95 the other day doing around 65 and I hit a patch of really nasty potholes which I couldn't drive around due to traffic: yes, I felt them (you'd probably feel them in a Rolls), but as far as I can tell, no damage nor any squeaks and rattles from the impact (knocks on wood). As much as the 35 aspect ratio of the 19" tires is worrisome, the 235mm width has been good at keeping at least some of the rubber on the road when going over smaller potholes, so maybe the 19" wheels are a wash.

But yes, the Comfort mode really helps a lot. I got a short lift from a friend today in her Hyundai Santa Fe SUV, going over some of the same bumps and holes I've traversed recently, and I noticed that the ride quality of her smallish SUV was far worse than the R in Comfort mode. That really surprised me. Regardless, next winter I'm getting snow tires, possibly 17 inchers to add an extra inch between the road and the wheels--not the best for razor-sharp handling, but you're not going to get great feel from snow tires anyhow.

Last edited:

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I don't have a Golf R, nor do I have DCC, however I can say that the stock MK7 GTI suspension holds up to the potholes around Philly much better than my MK6 did. Barely any NVH, this thing just eats em up (not that I don't do my best to avoid them) I'd imagine the R's DCC in comfort would be even better.

I've driven the Mk7 GTI and if my memory serves me right, the R's "Comfort" gives about the same ride smoothness as the basic GTI setup.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the info!
Is the DCC system on the R the system i've seen in review videos that lets you choose race, comfort or eco (and also custom?)? I thought that was standard and relates to engine mangement rather than suspension set up?

Have not managed to test driven an R, only a GTI with the performance pack, so please excuse my ignorance!

1st, in the US, we don't get the "Eco" setting you also get in Europe--no real tears on this end, but aside from that, the DCC is the same on this side of the pond. But more to your question, the DCC selector not only adjusts the chassis firmness/compliance but also the engine response, steering assist, and headlight "steering;" all of which can be separately adjusted in the "Individual" mode.

GregoryK

Hi Everyone. New to the forum. At present I won a newish 2014 Mini Cooper S. I have been pretty disappointed with this car (my 3rd Mini). I have has a new gearbox @ 3000 miles, the rear suspension has failed and the shocks need to be replaced. The engine has been randomly shutting down too. I am so upset that I have approached the dealer and asked for a new car. Mini have not been good on this one and frankly when things went wrong on the last car either. I am now feeling like Mini do not deserve my business!
I took a Audi S3 for a drive last week but felt like you really had to flog it to get the enjoyment. I know that the Golf R is supposedly more tossable than the S3 but wondered how much more refined it was compared to the Mini Cooper S or the new JCW?
Please let me know your thoughts.

artargyle

Ready to race!
Mini person here....

Hi - I have had 4 JCW Mini Coopers S cars w/ various mods. The last was a 2014. Sadly I have given up on them as they are just not well sorted, balanced or really synergistic. The R is a remarkable car & part of it is the fact that it just does everything so well. No weak spots and when pushed hard it is simply amazing (endless reserves of torque & power.)
It is an Uber-hot hatch that shows off a lot of engineering & is comfortable in spades. I doubt that you will miss the Mini after a couple of weeks of the new R. Hell, I don't' miss any car I have every driven & that's a bunch of them.

PS Having come from a 2015 GTI DSG w/ APR stage 1: the R will devour it.
DCC rocks!!
Good luck.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
For the fun of it I decided to consider maybe getting a Mk7 GTI PP since I like the 2-door and sunroof. Then I optioned one out. $32,000 for an SE PP DSG DCC. No thanks. That sold me on an R or S3.
Don't get me wrong, the GTI is great, but the one I actually want is too much.

Hi - I have had 4 JCW Mini Coopers S cars w/ various mods. The last was a 2014. Sadly I have given up on them as they are just not well sorted, balanced or really synergistic. The R is a remarkable car & part of it is the fact that it just does everything so well. No weak spots and when pushed hard it is simply amazing (endless reserves of torque & power.)

It is an Uber-hot hatch that shows off a lot of engineering & is comfortable in spades. I doubt that you will miss the Mini after a couple of weeks of the new R. Hell, I don't' miss any car I have every driven & that's a bunch of them.

PS Having come from a 2015 GTI DSG w/ APR stage 1: the R will devour it.

DCC rocks!!

Good luck.

How does the R compare to the stage 1 Mk7 once you're on the move? I'd think the GTI Stage 1 would be quicker except from 0 mph since it is more powerful.