GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why an R?

The Goat

Ready to race!
Of course it is. This car is actually much more expensive in other countries, they had to keep the prices down here as much as possible because no matter what we may think, there are very few people in North America that are interested in a hatchback that is 40k or more.

To me a sunroof is just a waste, the majority of time I don't use it and I live in Southern CA. Too noisy for most everyday driving and just another item that needs maintenance. I'll be happy rolling my windows down in my new R.

All good points. I live in MT and oddly enough use sunroof in my Acura all the time, weather permitting! Open around town and tilted on the highway.

How about the Fender premium audio, trying to pin down if it's 4 door speakers/4 tweeters or combo of tweeter/door and a sub??

(edit) I feel like the sub needs to come factory in these for space saving/convenience.

VW4Lyfe

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm beginning to ask myself this question: Why a Golf R, and not a stripped GTI Performance Pack or a Focus ST for significantly less money?

Golf R is certainly "better," and will be easier to drive without leaving two strips of rubber everywhere. But I've just about lost patience with VW's launch--can't get the color I want, can't get the sunroof, can't get the ROW tails, no idea when I'll be able to get a 6MT.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
The 5 Stages of Dealing with the US R Launch

I'm beginning to ask myself this question: Why a Golf R, and not a stripped GTI Performance Pack or a Focus ST for significantly less money?

Golf R is certainly "better," and will be easier to drive without leaving two strips of rubber everywhere. But I've just about lost patience with VW's launch--can't get the color I want, can't get the sunroof, can't get the ROW tails, no idea when I'll be able to get a 6MT.

The 5 Stages of Dealing with the US Golf R Launch

1. DENIAL: "They can't be leaving off the MPI, or those great looking tail lights"
  2. ANGER: "WTF? I thought you told us that the car would be available at the start of January, and now you're telling us that's when we can 'pre-order' one, to be picked up in March. A freaking 2015 model year car starting delivery in f*cking March?!"
  3. BARGAINING: "Well, I can buy the European LED tail lights, folding mirrors, and silver mirror caps, and install them myself; heck I'll then have an R that you won't see anywhere else on the street in the US. And that little infotainment screen--am I really going to be using it for all that much anyhow?"
  4. DEPRESSION: "Why the f*ck even think of waiting for a 2016 model, they're not going to give us MPI, or those LED tail lights. . . heck, even if the new car has a slightly bigger info screen it probably won't have the MIB II software. And since they haven't promised a sunroof yet, I just know that that won't be offered either. F*ck, VW has never treated us like they do their customers in Europe, and I guess they never will."
  5. ACCEPTANCE: "You know, it's now or never. If I can't get an R with the number of doors I want, with the transmission I want, in the color I want, with the options like I want, even though everyone else on the planet can, I'll just have to take what they give me. Waiting around for another model year or two isn't going to make much difference. I'm sure I'll be happy with the car the way VW is going to configure it for me and those other 500 people on the waiting list."

Last edited:

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr

1. DENIAL: "They can't be leaving off the MPI, or those great looking tail lights"
  2. ANGER: "WTF? I thought you told us that the car would be available at the start of January, and now you're telling us that's when we can 'pre-order' one, to be picked up in March. A freaking 2015 model year car starting delivery in f*cking March?!"
  3. BARGAINING: "Well, I can buy the European LED tail lights, folding mirrors, and silver mirror caps, and install them myself; heck I'll then have an R that you won't see anywhere else on the street in the US. And that little infotainment screen--am I really going to be using it for all that much anyhow?"
  4. DEPRESSION: "Why the f*ck even think of waiting for a 2016 model, they're not going to give us MPI, or those LED tail lights. . . heck, even if the new car has a slightly bigger info screen it probably won't have the MIB II software. And since they haven't promised a sunroof yet, I just know that that won't be offered either. F*ck, VW has never treated us like they do their customers in Europe, and I guess they never will."
  5. ACCEPTANCE: "You know, it's now or never. If I can't get an R with the number of doors I want, with the transmission I want, in the color I want, with the options like I want, even though everyone else on the planet can, I'll just have to take what they give me. Waiting around for another model year or two isn't going to make much difference. I'm sure I'll be happy with the car the way VW is going to configure it for me and those other 500 people on the waiting list."

Currently in the bargaining phase. As a mental health professional, appreciate the analogy:)

VW4Lyfe

Passed Driver's Ed

LOL! I think I've been waffling between 2 and 3 all month.

:)Ignorance is bliss I guess...I'm happy as clam with it.

U2Slow

Sorry no Golf R for me. I wait for R400(cross my fingers if I can get one).:D

TAZZ1

Ready to race!

I lol'd, really sucks for you guys though

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR

So true.

I have been going back and forth, trying to make sense of my decision to trade the MK6 GTI in for a MK7 R. I have done so much work on my GTI, it is 1 of a kind and is an extension of my personality on the road. I never planned to get rid of it........but then I moved to CO, AWD is not required in the winter but man it does make winters a lot more fun. And getting off the corners with more power at the track will certainly be a blast.

But no sunroof? I love the sunroof. I rarely open it, doesn't mean I don't enjoy the light coming in. The only way to not "use" a sunroof is to close the shade all the time.

Don't care about the lack of manual, DSG is a better technology. I can feel as much of a man and confident that I am a skilled driver without needing a stick in my hands.

Color? Who doesn't love that blue? LOL

So yeah, to OP....I can NOT explain or answer your questions. Why am I spending (hopefully, if I can work the trade on the GTI) $40k on a VW hatchback when I could certainly negotiate an S3 for 10% more?

I don't NEED a hatchback, I have a freaking wagon afterall.

Is it the rareness? I have no idea. There are several Rs here in CO on lot's right now somehow, so waiting till March or even next year isn't a hold up. If my dealer can't make a trade I can always go to those dealers direct.

Every logical thought in my head is to run from the R, to forget about it and make the LOGICAL choice to keep the GTI and dump $5000 into it for a K04+LSd+clutch.....and add $1000 for coils........and another $1000 for sway's and more.....or get the S3..........but somehow I KEEP begging my dealer to sell me an R.

What the heck is wrong with me?

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Sorry no Golf R for me. I wait for R400(cross my fingers if I can get one).:D
You'll be waiting a long time.

Highly doubt that we here in the U.S. will ever see it.

nhMK7R

Hey guys,

So how do we know what # we have? I still haven't received my "kit", does the certificate tell you?

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
In all honesty I'm starting to think I'd quite like to go back to driving something with a lack of power assisted steering, skinny tyres, and a modest amount of power ..

Reality is that almost every car on the road now is so fast you have to be driving in "gonna die if I do anything wrong" mode to have any fun, or certainly "gonna lose my license if anyone sees me".. Remembering the amount of fun you can have drifting across a car park in the snow at 15mph ..

When an electric car shows up on the scene with 700bhp, 800+lbft and 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, you know that the world has now decided that "fast is easy". Let's try "fun" instead.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
In all honesty I'm starting to think I'd quite like to go back to driving something with a lack of power assisted steering, skinny tyres, and a modest amount of power ..

Reality is that almost every car on the road now is so fast you have to be driving in "gonna die if I do anything wrong" mode to have any fun, or certainly "gonna lose my license if anyone sees me".. Remembering the amount of fun you can have drifting across a car park in the snow at 15mph ..

When an electric car shows up on the scene with 700bhp, 800+lbft and 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, you know that the world has now decided that "fast is easy". Let's try "fun" instead.

Easy, don't get caught. :) Same here in the States. Depends on which city or county you live in, and the color of your car. Hint, don't buy red or yellow or orange. Gray or white or dark blue attracts less attention. Red indicates aggression, as you probably know.