GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whuuuring noise from front end.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Confirmed it’s more than likely not a wheel bearing as the sound doesn’t change when turning etc. Sounded fine on way to work. I can feel the vibration in gear selector and center stack area. Even in drivers door.

You can hear it in the video. Like rub strips on the hwy. Tires never made noise before. No pot holes but did drive to Miami Yesterday.

*not the DSG whine. This is after that. Doesn’t change with accel or decel

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Hm, I think the best start would be checking with the cooling system and maybe check the hoses.

Also , maybe check your belts.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I think wheel bearing too. Checked for leaks and heat shields etc rubbing but found nothing. Thanks for the advice

I did get a slight "gear" noise the other day when the car shifted from 1st to 2nd at low RPM. DSG noises are new to me. Previous VW were all stick cars.

Anxious to see what the dealer says.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
I think wheel bearing too. Checked for leaks and heat shields etc rubbing but found nothing. Thanks for the advice

I did get a slight "gear" noise the other day when the car shifted from 1st to 2nd at low RPM. DSG noises are new to me. Previous VW were all stick cars.

Anxious to see what the dealer says.
Yea, my transmission likes to whir. Mine is a manual too. Albeit it's loudest in 5th, but it doesn't seem to harm the car at all. 70k miles on it too.

If it is the gearbox, it could be the synchros (?) If they do find something within the gearbox, they'll probably replace for free. :D

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Easy way to test if it's a wheel bearing. Do like race cars do when under the caution flag and swerve back and forth. If the sound changes when doing that it's a wheel bearing.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
You know I did that and the pitch never changed. Dealer still diagnosed as bad wheel bearing on driver front. $53 later all set.
Have owned over 20 cars. Never had a WB go bad