GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who is on Bilstein B8s?

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
How do you like them and how has the ride improved from factory struts? I am on VWR springs and the struts/shocks are not keeping up. Looking to correct that and want some feedback on B8s.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Breaking...you are a machine! [emoji1]

I sold my B8's to a local member, "readthebook". He the has VWR springs. I had them paired with the DGs, then the neuspeed sports. I rode in his car briefly. It felt like it was in between the DG ride and the neuspeed ride.

If you read back through the Mk5 and MK6 posts, you will see everyone bashing the mk5 versions for being too stiff. Bilstein eased up on the valving for the MK6 versions, and did it even more on the MK7's. If you go through neuspeeds site you can see all of the rebound and compression specs. This doesn't surprise me as the B8's felt very comfy and supportive for a daily. Borderline too comfy / soft depending on your goals.

If you want comfort and support then I think the B8's are a solid option.

If you want something stiffer and sporty then maybe the Koni yellows.

I didn't have the B8's for very long...couple months probably, so definitely get more feedback, but hopefully this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adefendo1

Ready to race!
I'm running the B8's w H&R Sports. I love the ride, a little stiffer than stock but waaay more responsive. Even passed the wifey test and I Uber on the side( car parts money) and I have had zero complaints.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
But they provide better control than a factory strut I assume? I'm after a good daily strut that provides better control of the VWR spring behavior than a factory strut.

I've never used the stock dampers with anything other than the stock springs so I really can't say. What I can say is that the B8's are extremely supportive in my experience and surprisingly comfortable. Even when paired with the neuspeed sports (with a higher spring rating than stock) it felt noticeably more comfortable.

I would reach out to readthebook and get his take since he has the B8 / VWR combo though.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
How do you like them and how has the ride improved from factory struts? I am on VWR springs and the struts/shocks are not keeping up. Looking to correct that and want some feedback on B8s.

Yeah, I like my VWR setup less every day. It feels like the factory struts/shocks are almost gone after 15k miles. Following, as I may be interested in B8s as well.

Dudes, don't get me wrong here, but I said from the beginning, Racingline/VWR springs
are too short for the stock strut/dampers. I was beaten for this again and again, as
nobody wanted to hear that, though I'm quite used to it, no complains.
I'm rather certain the car will feel noticeably better when you pair these springs with
proper dampers such as Bilstein B6, B8, Koni Str.t or Yellows, but the remaining wheel
travel will remain on the scarce side. The feeling of being 'underdamped' will disappear
with uprated dampers, so you're fine under normal use. Just be careful when you have
four people in your car and the boot loaded on weak roads, as that's where some wheel
travel is required. Drive a little slower and again, you're still fine with a lowered car.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Dudes, don't get me wrong here, but I said from the beginning, Racingline/VWR springs
are too short for the stock strut/dampers. I was beaten for this again and again, as
nobody wanted to hear that, though I'm quite used to it, no complains.
I'm rather certain the car will feel noticeably better when you pair these springs with
proper dampers such as Bilstein B6, B8, Koni Str.t or Yellows, but the remaining wheel
travel will remain on the scarce side. The feeling of being 'underdamped' will disappear
with uprated dampers, so you're fine under normal use. Just be careful when you have
four people in your car and the boot loaded on weak roads, as that's where some wheel
travel is required. Drive a little slower and again, you're still fine with a lowered car.

This x 100.

Internally on the front struts. So yes, they do come with them.
If I remember correctly the rear dampers also come with bump
stops, but not certain on this. If not, just keep the stock ones,
ideally shorten them by 15 % or so.
In any case, don't remove the oil/grease film on the piston rod
or on the sliding body of the front strut respectively. This area
requires some lubrication.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Internally on the front struts. So yes, they do come with them.
If I remember correctly the rear dampers also come with bump
stops, but not certain on this. If not, just keep the stock ones,
ideally shorten them by 15 % or so.
In any case, don't remove the oil/grease film on the piston rod
or on the sliding body of the front strut respectively. This area
requires some lubrication.

Thanks!

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
Does anyone know if dust covers are included with these dampers? I haven't seen them listed, and I can't imagine using OE dust covers on these beefy dampers.