GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who is on Bilstein B8s?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Couldn't disagree more. Nothing wrong with B8's, and Bilstein has shown no signs of "getting lazy" IMHO.
I mean I still own them, I'm not getting rid of them anytime soon. I would personally recommend Koni's to most people looking for sharp coilover like handling with lowering springs though. If someone is looking for factory replacement shocks, factory shocks might still handle better with lowering springs, though they might not last as long. Bilsteins would still be my recommendation for a long lasting OEM replacement shock.

Bilstein B8s being just shortened B6s, which are meant to be OEM replacements, isn't exactly living up to the Sport model name. That is lazy IMHO, because I'd expect more than OEM like performance from something called Sport.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Bilstein B8s being just shortened B6s, which are meant to be OEM replacements, isn't exactly living up to the Sport model name. That is lazy IMHO, because I'd expect more than OEM like performance from something called Sport.

I'd just drop the extra $200 and get the B14 coilovers.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Or $500 for adjustable B16s, which I've definitely considered. Too far down my own Hammersticks-esque rabbit hole to give up at this point.
Based on the responses I've seen...I'm either going Bilstein B16's or the EQT Coils. I have ED Springs now and I don't really want to mess around with adjustable Koni's shocks/struts. Seems the B8's aren't a good match. Good thing I DIY'd my suspension because I only paid $200 for the springs on sale.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
The B16's have compression and rebound adjustment. If you want ones with no adjustment...get the B14. I believe the springs are the same.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
The B16's have compression and rebound adjustment. If you want ones with no adjustment...get the B14. I believe the springs are the same.
Correct, both are 400lbs/in front and 420lbs/in rear. Neuspeed's site actually has valving specs for them too, but it's hard to find them anywhere else. Based on that the B14s have less aggressive damping than the B16s turned all the way down. Something else to consider.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I'm on the B14. The cost wasn't that much more than the B8+springs. As for the ride...its pretty good for a street setup. I have them set where my control arms are parallel to the ground.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Or $500 for adjustable B16s, which I've definitely considered. Too far down my own Hammersticks-esque rabbit hole to give up at this point.
I take pride in my rabbit hole. Lol. All kidding aside, there are also guys who bought the B16’s, only to have Bilstein deny their warranty claims and be stuck. And for the record, I did try the HPA SHS coils...then hopped down in the hole again. I like having flexibility without the financial risk.

Last edited:

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I take pride in my rabbit hole. Lol. All kidding aside, there are also guys who bought the B16’s, only to have Bilstein deny their warranty claims and be stuck. And for the record, I did try the HPA SHS coils...then hopped down in the hole again.

Yes, Bilstein has had some odd failures too. I've seen the top of the strut snap and also the mount to the front sway bar, but...FCP Euro sells them now so I don't think warranty would be an issue if you get it through them. Still...those failures do have me hesitant.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I take pride in my rabbit hole. Lol. All kidding aside, there are also guys who bought the B16’s, only to have Bilstein deny their warranty claims and be stuck. And for the record, I did try the HPA SHS coils...then hopped down in the hole again. I like having flexibility without the financial risk.
As you should be!

I've seen a few of the Bilstein B16 fights, and I've had my own issues with KW (Well, ST but same thing) so I've almost got no where else to go otherwise in a reasonable price range. Sadly, I think you have to accept some risk in the category. Suspension companies apparently can't make mistakes or have failures, and customer service isn't priority one. Bottom line seems to be "you installed it wrong" or "you used it outside of intended/recommended use", like racing!

Makes buying something like EQT coilovers, or even the HPAs, seem like a much better idea because then you have a smaller company that cares more in the middle.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Just buy from a reputable seller/authorized dealer, one who will take up the fight should a warranty issue arise. When my decade-old B8's on my old Scirocco started leaking at 100k+ miles, I wasn't entitled to warranty replacement because I wasn't the original purchaser. My pal Mr Potter @ parts4vws.com got em swapped out with one phone call to Bilstein, eazy-peazy.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Some of those coilover warranty denials were from broken tabs where the endlinks connect. Lots of guys were running aftermarket endlinks along with larger swaybars.

Last edited:

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
As you should be!

I've seen a few of the Bilstein B16 fights, and I've had my own issues with KW (Well, ST but same thing) so I've almost got no where else to go otherwise in a reasonable price range. Sadly, I think you have to accept some risk in the category. Suspension companies apparently can't make mistakes or have failures, and customer service isn't priority one. Bottom line seems to be "you installed it wrong" or "you used it outside of intended/recommended use", like racing!

Makes buying something like EQT coilovers, or even the HPAs, seem like a much better idea because then you have a smaller company that cares more in the middle.
I had a couple issues with the HPA kit and the guys up there were really helpful...to the point where I had their owner on the phone. The HPA kit is also produced by KW, so HPA sends their specs, but ultimately you are left dealing with KW.
Anyway, regarding the B8’s, let us know how the isolator/ shim works out. It is unfortunate the B8’s are SO forgiving that it comes to this type of effort just to get them to support a “sport” spring...on a (lighter) GTI. So yeah, I would also call it lazy, or just piss poor R&D. Hopefully you can get it to work though. If the front end didn’t invoke such extreme violence they would be perfect for DD/spirited street.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I ended up ordering a different isolator, Energy Suspension PN 9.6107G which is more of a cupped isolator.

I hacked out the inner lip so now it fits right over the lip on the bearing. As long as the outer lip doesn't interfere with the spring when assembled I should be good. The thickness is 3/8" and shouldn't deflect much, so we'll see what I end up with on FTG. Might try tossing them on tonight, I'll take some pictures.

I couldn't speak for all lowering spring manufacturers, but if this results in a mostly stock height spring setup (on an R) with an increase of 20-40% in rate, that's not too bad. Even for Koni users.