GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who Has the Lightest Mk7 GTI?

Triple B

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf 7 R
I think it depends on your tolerance as a daily driver. If you removed all the interior and sound deadening, wheel arch liners etc etc it would be awful to drive.
I think its best to go moderate road racer and see where you can get it.....follow the GTI CSS route and you won't go far wrong - I believe that was ~1275kg with heavy front seats, non Li-Ion battery. I bet you could get close to 1250kg without anything too nutty.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Gut your interior down to the bare metal along with removing the passenger and rear seats and the spare tire kit. Remove your hood, front and rear bumpers, A/C, and anything else not needed. That should make you pretty light.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
They make a CF hatch for our cars and lexan windows also. Then switch to some drag race type Wilwood brakes runs some 15”s and get the Verlink front subframes and rear suspension also do a Bonnet exit exhaust off the turbo so you not run the catback or downpipe.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
They make a CF hatch for our cars and lexan windows also. Then switch to some drag race type Wilwood brakes runs some 15”s and get the Verlink front subframes and rear suspension also do a Bonnet exit exhaust off the turbo so you not run the catback or downpipe.

Also, if the OP has a 4 door, mind as well cut that bitch in half and make it a 2 door GTI and add a roll cage.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I have wondered the same. My mods are in my sig and am taking a little road trip to Baltimore Tuesday. Will stop by a truck stop to weigh the car and find out.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Not sure of the value of a CF hatch other than weight. Makes bad weight distribution worse.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
There was someone that had a stripped out 2 door in the classifieds a while back. I think the dash and AC was gone too. I could be wrong...but I think the listing said it weighed somewhere around 2600lbs.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Also, if the OP has a 4 door, mind as well cut that bitch in half and make it a 2 door GTI and add a roll cage.

Nah, just take the doors off.

1603584271397.png

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Wolf has lightest.

Add Lithium battery to list. Big loss item. Light wheels.
Two piece rotors. Non PP brakes.
Titanium bolts.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
My 4 door CS with BBK, light weight wheels CSS subframe, li-on battery, racing seat and stripped for track was 1320kg with passenger seat. No carpet or trim removed. Less than 1/2 a tank of petrol.
Manual with no VAQ would save quite a bit of weight. Guessing at least 50kg