GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who blew up their R on I-270 tonight?

cb1111

White R, blew by me at 20:00 doing 90 or so in the 55. I was in the middle of 3 lanes doing 65ish about two miles from where it goes to two lanes. About a 1/2 mile ahead there was a big puff of white smoke and he stood on the brakes and pulled over. He nearly ran a painters van off the road. When I passed him there was smoke everywhere. I couldn't stop because of traffic.

I hope all is mostly well.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Sone DB. Once you blow a head gasket or turbo you might as well just throw it into neutral and look for a safe place to pull over. By the time you play with the ignition button to shut off the engine (if it's still running) you're too late anyway. You'll never be able to look where you're going, steer, AND be pushing the button twice to shut off the engine. Great design VW, just like you need to hold the EPB button up for two seconds for it to engage while you're moving. Guaranteed you'll run into something.

adam1991

Banned
It should be easy to rig an ignition shutoff button, right? Like in that photo of the Mk8 mule--put put the big red "oh shit" button into the cupholder.

(I'd rig it with a safety pin complete with "remove before flight" flag...)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
It should be easy to rig an ignition shutoff button, right? Like in that photo of the Mk8 mule--put put the big red "oh shit" button into the cupholder.

(I'd rig it with a safety pin complete with "remove before flight" flag...)

I think if you have your foot on the brake the Start/Stop button should shut off the engine on the first press. Same with the EPB. Perhaps if VW gets a few lawsuits where it was an issue they'll do something different.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
I was in the middle of 3 lanes doing 65ish

Woah there buddy, I'd hate to see you admit to anything illegal [emoji1787]

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
Will pressing the start/stop button lock the steering as well as switch the engine off ? Not what I'd want when I'm still moving and needing to steer to a (hopefully) safe spot.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Lol. Didn't even think about that.

So translation.

Was roll racing an R and the R money shifted 3rd to 2nd

cb1111

Lol. Didn't even think about that.

So translation.

Was roll racing an R and the R money shifted 3rd to 2nd

What can I say. A momentary lapse of judgment...

This road actually proves the theory that every road has a natural speed limit that, barring any unusual speed reductions like school zones, weather or hidden hazards, is the speed at which the average driver would drive comfortably and safely on a particular road if there were no limits.

This road seems to have a natural speed of about 65/70. That portion of the road is speed limited at 55, so enforcement (for MD plated cars) is somewhere between 68 and 70 and right around 65 for out of state plates.

If you go the speed limit you'll get run over.

BTW - The PDF I linked to is an interesting read (even if I am a bit biased:D ) and also provides a historical perspective.