GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who 16’ Golf R is this? Denver - Schomp BMW

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
2016 Golf R

I put a hold deposit down on this Golf R earlier today with VIn #:

WVWLF7AU6GW246466

It’s at the Schomp BMW dealership. They have it listed as a base but it has driver assistance as well with only 23,088 miles.

First thing I see is that it’s slightly lowered and it comes with a set of winter and summer tires(cool, right?!). I open the hood and it has a Racingline Intake, some ceramic coated DP, ceramic tint, clear bra etc. This is a white 16 Golf R.

Anyone claim it and able to give me some info before I purchase this weekend?

Thanks!

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Is it tuned?

I didn’t have the chance to drive it because it was just brought in last night. They have to do their safety inspection first. I would assume it’s tuned because of the downpipe. I’ll definitely call all the tuners after I purchase it to see who’s tune it’s running.

They have a fully refundable deposit so I decided to do that so no one else can drive it or buy it before me so that’s nice.

Curious is a Golf R can have the driver assistance package without DCC?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Good luck. What is the price? Did the dealer mention the warranty?

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Price is at $28,700 so pretty fair in my opinion for everything im getting.

They did not mention warranty but I’m going to check with Emich VW locally tomorrow about the car with the vin.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Definitely call the tuners with the VIN. The description says Nav so it should also have DCC. It has the parking sensors and the square radar box in the grille so I'd say it has DAP. Check the shift console for extra buttons.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Definitely call the tuners with the VIN. The description says Nav so it should also have DCC. It has the parking sensors and the square radar box in the grille so I'd say it has DAP. Check the shift console for extra buttons.

Definitely my plan. Going to start with Emich VW, ,Bluewater, APR, and UM(very large following out here).

I did a vin check last night and it does have DCC. I got to look it over for about 15 minutes and I’ll be back to test it and go over it even more this Saturday.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Ok, I just found some information:

Emich VW 2017 - Fuel Rail Sensor replacement
Emich VW 2019 - Downpipe install w/ new clamps and such

Berg Performance - Oil change at 11,500(a bit late but ok)
Berg Performance - Oil change at 16,800
Berg Performance - Oil change at 22,600

Berg Performance mentioned they did not do any tuning to the car. I called APR and it does not have tuning on it and UM apparently cannot let me know if tuning was done with a VIN number.

Sounds like the guy is running a downpipe and intake with no tuning as of yet. According to CarFax(CarFax Warranty Info) the car no longer has the basic warranty but powertrain is still moving along.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Ok, I just found some information:

Emich VW 2017 - Fuel Rail Sensor replacement
Emich VW 2019 - Downpipe install w/ new clamps and such

Berg Performance - Oil change at 11,500(a bit late but ok)
Berg Performance - Oil change at 16,800
Berg Performance - Oil change at 22,600

Berg Performance mentioned they did not do any tuning to the car. I called APR and it does not have tuning on it and UM apparently cannot let me know if tuning was done with a VIN number.

Sounds like the guy is running a downpipe and intake with no tuning as of yet. According to CarFax(CarFax Warranty Info) the car no longer has the basic warranty but powertrain is still moving along.

Right. The basic warranty is 3/36k and you lose on the 3. The powertrain is 5/60k so plenty left on that.

You still have a number of tuners to contact if you want to definitively know if it has been tuned. IE, Unitronic, GIAC, etc. Check the tuning section.

That said, it seems to be well maintained. If it's not a crash car or a flood car, you may have a good deal on your hands. It's entirely possible that the price is low because they think it's a Base. This is how I got my Autobahn for the price of an SE, and I'm not the only one on this forum that has had that kind of luck.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Right. The basic warranty is 3/36k and you lose on the 3. The powertrain is 5/60k so plenty left on that.

You still have a number of tuners to contact if you want to definitively know if it has been tuned. IE, Unitronic, GIAC, etc. Check the tuning section.

That said, it seems to be well maintained. If it's not a crash car or a flood car, you may have a good deal on your hands. It's entirely possible that the price is low because they think it's a Base. This is how I got my Autobahn for the price of an SE, and I'm not the only one on this forum that has had that kind of luck.

Good idea, I will give them all a call here too. One person on Vortex just mentioned maybe check for a JB1/4 unit as well.

They are calling it a base and it clearly is not with driver assistance and DCC/NAV. Im glad to hear you got a great deal on your Autobahn too! Besides CarFax, is there any other way to tell if its a crash/flood care? I do appreciate purchasing cars from not the same kind of dealership. Things like this can get through the cracks.

Last edited:

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Good idea, I will give them all a call here too. One person on Vortex just mentioned maybe check for a JB1/4 unit as well.

They are calling it a base and it clearly is not with driver assistance and DCC/NAV. Im glad to hear you got a great deal on your Autobahn too! Besides CarFax, is there any other way to tell if its a crash/flood care? I do appreciate purchasing cars from not the same kind of dealership. Things like this can get through the cracks.

That car's a mess. You wont be able to tell anything until they detail it. Once it's clean, you'll want to sight the body panels. Lemon peel is normal with these cars so look for texture that doesn't fit with the rest of the car. Look for clearcoat problems and paint pimples. Check for overspray in the wheel wells and under the hood. If you suspect an area, you can use a small refrigerator magnet to check for bondo. Others here may have more ideas.

It's not obviously from a flood-prone area, but I'd still check it out. The dealer probably won't let you in their service bay but you'll want to check underneath the car for signs of damage or unusual rust. I had them give me the keys and I drove one wheel up onto a curb to check (set the parking brake). You can always pay a trusted local mechanic to inspect it for you. Also check the seat rail bolts and pedal mounts for more than normal surface rust, and be aware of odors. R's don't have sunroofs so if water got into the cabin that's a telltale sign. It could be that someone left a window open, but maybe not.

I bought my mislabeled GTI from a VW dealer. Some dealers are just morons.