GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whiteline Roll Center Kit

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
thanks for all the pics. I hope Whiteline continues to work on it.

My alum TT arms are much thicker than the steel arms. Perhaps this first try contemplated paring with Whiteline arms.

shlimp

Passed Driver's Ed
Honestly I could have just installed the studded bracket facing downwards and then I wouldn't have had to modify anything, but I was just trying to follow directions. I figured the engineers knew better than me which way to install it. lol

Also the Whiteline control arms look to be about the same thickness as the factory ones.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
What is missing from this discussion is the problem of bump steer. If the location of the ball joint center is changed, then the control arm and tie rods are misaligned (likely worse than it is). This leads to bump steer. I don’t know if it would be a significant issue, but it is more than theoretical. I don’t know of an easy way to address this problem. The tie rod ball joint would have to be turned upside down, but the hole for the shank would need to be recut to fit the shank taper. A new ball joint with a thicker shank would be needed.

Seems like the best answer is the TT swivel and associated hardware.

shlimp

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah I was curious about that myself. Kits on other platforms come with new tie rod ends. What's the cost of the whole TT swivel swap?

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah I was curious about that myself. Kits on other platforms come with new tie rod ends. What's the cost of the whole TT swivel swap?

Not cheap. Probably around $900-1100 (and that's if you';re ordering from e-ACCA)? With new LCA, knuckles and wheel bearings plus modified tie-rod ends.

shlimp

Passed Driver's Ed
ouch. I'll stick with what I've got. I'l deal with a little bumpsteer to save a bunch of money lol

shlimp

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got this response from Whiteline US:

"Hello,

Nothing yet, but I know we had a MK7 GTi out there with this kit on it, so I believe its just R's it doesn't fit.

Mitchel Yardley
Technical Sales"

I thought GTI and R had the same arms?

jmason

Go Kart Newbie

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Just got this response from Whiteline US:

"Hello,

Nothing yet, but I know we had a MK7 GTi out there with this kit on it, so I believe its just R's it doesn't fit.

Mitchel Yardley
Technical Sales"

I thought GTI and R had the same arms?
It could be that they tested a gti with312mm brakes vs the 340mm R (pp) brakes

shlimp

Passed Driver's Ed
Doesn’t do anything to fix bump steer. Bump steer happens when the tie rod and control arm don’t move in the same arc. To move in the same arc, the two parts must be parallel. Tie rod extender doesn’t address this.

Gotcha.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport

Are you actually experiencing bump steer, or are you just responding to Jmason’s assertion of increased bumpsteer from this part? Curious to know, as I might like to try a set.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Are you actually experiencing bump steer, or are you just responding to Jmason’s assertion of increased bumpsteer from this part? Curious to know, as I might like to try a set.

I am not asserting increased bump steer. I’m pointing out that changing tie rod length does not address the underlying cause of bump steer introduced when a car is lowered.

shlimp

Passed Driver's Ed
I actually am not experiencing any bumpsteer. I've done lots of testing on roads both smooth and bumping and putting the wheel straight then just letting it go. Car drives straight in both conditions for what I'd consider a significant amount of time (20 seconds or so on a straight road) without any inputs on my end.

Obviously this isn't the most scientific way, but I'm also not pro racing and have a bump steer gauge or anything like that.