GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whiteline Roll Center Kit

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
In a sort of head-in-the-sand approach, I'm looking at this as not a big problem because there is so little suspension travel, such as to not bring into play the deleterious effects of the change in suspension geometry as a result of lowering. The caveat here is that I have lowered the car as little as possible, the result of installing adjustable shock valving coilovers for better on-track control.

shlimp

Passed Driver's Ed
After having installed this on my car and seeing the difference it has made, I personally would do this mod before I do a rear sway bar. I mean it is a world of difference in handling. Less understeer, being able to go into corners at higher speeds, and stability on the front end. Like seriously such a big impact on handling.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Can you take a moment to look to see if the shank of the Whiteline ball joint is longer? The center of the ball joint should be farther from the swivel than stock. Hard to judge after installation, but I would think you could see a difference.

If the shank of the Whiteline ball joint isn't longer than stock (and the pictures don't suggest it is), then I don't understand how the Whiteline product would perform any differently from the Hardrace product, which we both would agree doesn't solve the problem.

BTW, thanks for being the guinea pig!

shlimp

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, if the shank is the same length as stock, plus if the BJ's don't extend further out, I don't see how there's extra camber.

The extra camber is from slots on the balljoint adapter. You just loosen the three studs and move it outward then retorque.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
The extra camber is from slots on the balljoint adapter. You just loosen the three studs and move it outward then retorque.

Oh, got it. Thanks.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
not trying to be a party pooper here but I had some email back and forth on the product, wanting to know about ball joint height and received this reply;

"Hello,

Understood I know the reason now. We had a gentleman purchase these and the studs for the control arm actually hit the stock knuckle. So we took them down for now. If you bought a set I would return them
1810 South Milliken Ave, Ontario CA 91761
P: 909. 476. 2860*"

the 'understood' was from an earlier email where he requested the part number as it was not in his system.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Some version of TT swivels does have this feature built in. Someone on this forum (can't remember who) has installed them and could provide valuable comment.
this guy here:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31247

when I bought my TTS control arms, spindles from same car were available. $550 for both sides with bearings. Haven't seen others (from wrecks) since. New, they're $350-400 each, without bearings.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Here are two comparison pictures of the stock and Whiteline ball joints:

Stock:
[/IMG]

Whiteline:
[/IMG]

Difficult to compare, but at least at first glance, they don't appear to be that different. I would expect that the Whiteline ball joint's shank would be about 1" longer, figuring that most cars are lowered at least that amount. It looks like the location of the center of the ball joint is different relative to the LCA. If this is the case, then this product would do nothing to correct the roll center, based on the following article:

https://motoiq.com/the-ultimate-gui...all-in-the-geometry-part-one-the-roll-center/

TLDR? Here's the essence:
"The roll center is located by first finding the front view instant center of each side of a car’s suspension. The instant center is the point in space that the suspension’s links will rotate around. Drawing lines from the center of the ball joint [my emphasis] through the inner pivots of the upper and lower control arms and extending them inward towards the center of the car until they meet will let you locate the instant centers. Now draw a line from the center of the tire’s contact patch to the instant center on both sides of the car. The point where these two lines intersect is the roll center. For a car with McPherson strut suspension, the upper line is found by drawing a line 90 degrees from the strut axis starting at the upper mounting point of the strut."

It looks to me like the center of the Whiteline ball joint is in the same location as stock relative to the inner pivot, only the angle of the LCA has changed. But in effect, only the shape of the LCA has changed, effectively inserting a dogleg 90 deg angle in its shape.
totally agree, I think you and I had a pm on this. The shim idea might help the camber curve somewhat.

I've wasted a lot of time searching for ways to adapt non-vw shanks. There is so much in the way of ball joint management for big three and other cars (know a guy who adapted one to his Mitsubishi Mirage Autox car}. Haven't found anything close yet.

shlimp

Passed Driver's Ed
That guy was me lol
Like i said, i modified them to work

not trying to be a party pooper here but I had some email back and forth on the product, wanting to know about ball joint height and received this reply;

"Hello,

Understood I know the reason now. We had a gentleman purchase these and the studs for the control arm actually hit the stock knuckle. So we took them down for now. If you bought a set I would return them
1810 South Milliken Ave, Ontario CA 91761
P: 909. 476. 2860*"

the 'understood' was from an earlier email where he requested the part number as it was not in his system.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
yeah I figured it was more than coincidence :)

but ultimately, you made it work, which gives some hope that they won't give up on it.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
That guy was me lol

Like i said, i modified them to work
Alright, I'm a little brain dead, so I'm going ask a point blank range question: will this Whiteline ball joint replacement work fine on my moderately (1"+) lowered car without any additional modifications?

shlimp

Passed Driver's Ed
Whiteline US is currently waiting to hear back from engineers at Whiteline Australia about this issue. I inadvertently became their beta tester.