GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whiteline Roll Center Kit

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I'm in for more info.

I have never quite understood the issues that SuperPro had in trying to develop their product. Here's what they had to say in an email to me: "Sorry, no adjustable ball joint in the works for the MK7 any longer as the packaging limits the ability to offer adjustment and proper geometry thereafter."

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
did you measure the diff between this ball joint and the stock one?

ejones725

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm in for more info.

I have never quite understood the issues that SuperPro had in trying to develop their product. Here's what they had to say in an email to me: "Sorry, no adjustable ball joint in the works for the MK7 any longer as the packaging limits the ability to offer adjustment and proper geometry thereafter."
Weird. Thanks for the info i was about to contact myself. Maybe the change in thickness between old and new LCA? Would the whiteline work with superpro LCA?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Would the whiteline work with superpro LCA?

Don't know for sure, but a stock ball joint works, so I'd assume that the Whiteline product would as well. That's an assumption, so take it for what it's worth. Because the SuperPro LCA is thicker, it might alleviate the issue that the OP had with too-long studs.

ejones725

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't know for sure, but a stock ball joint works, so I'd assume that the Whiteline product would as well. That's an assumption, so take it for what it's worth. Because the SuperPro LCA is thicker, it might alleviate the issue that the OP had with too-long studs.
True. Not sure im gonna buy them just to experiment though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
did you measure the diff between this ball joint and the stock one?

Here are two comparison pictures of the stock and Whiteline ball joints:

Stock:
[/IMG]

Whiteline:
[/IMG]

Difficult to compare, but at least at first glance, they don't appear to be that different. I would expect that the Whiteline ball joint's shank would be about 1" longer, figuring that most cars are lowered at least that amount. It looks like the location of the center of the ball joint is different relative to the LCA. If this is the case, then this product would do nothing to correct the roll center, based on the following article:

https://motoiq.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-suspension-and-handling-its-all-in-the-geometry-part-one-the-roll-center/

TLDR? Here's the essence:
"The roll center is located by first finding the front view instant center of each side of a car’s suspension. The instant center is the point in space that the suspension’s links will rotate around. Drawing lines from the center of the ball joint [my emphasis] through the inner pivots of the upper and lower control arms and extending them inward towards the center of the car until they meet will let you locate the instant centers. Now draw a line from the center of the tire’s contact patch to the instant center on both sides of the car. The point where these two lines intersect is the roll center. For a car with McPherson strut suspension, the upper line is found by drawing a line 90 degrees from the strut axis starting at the upper mounting point of the strut."

It looks to me like the center of the Whiteline ball joint is in the same location as stock relative to the inner pivot, only the angle of the LCA has changed. But in effect, only the shape of the LCA has changed, effectively inserting a dogleg 90 deg angle in its shape.

Last edited:

Jarbear

Ready to race!
Hardrace makes a roll center/camber adjustment spacer. It reuses the stock style ball joint.

Click the picture ;)

shlimp

Passed Driver's Ed
Last edited:

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
... or need new hubs from the clubsport...

I have the CSS swivels. At least the ones I have do not address the problem either. The only difference is the angle of the strut mount. Is there a newer, different version?

shlimp

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the CSS swivels. At least the ones I have do not address the problem either. The only difference is the angle of the strut mount. Is there a newer, different version?

Oh I was told they had this built into them. Haven't researched them myself. I'll edit it out.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Some version of TT swivels does have this feature built in. Someone on this forum (can't remember who) has installed them and could provide valuable comment.