GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

White smoke from exhaust with fluid leaking out of it

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
Hello,

So again after 4 days since the dealer replaced thermostat housing, coolant pump gasket and flushed coolant out and put new coolant, the WHITE SMOKE from exhaust became worser than before this leak. They changed all of that at 70720 mileage.

Now it has white smoke of a mass to above the car is how its transitioning the white smoke with some next transparent liquid pouring from my exhaust tips at now 71 and a bit mileage.

Like wtf is the issue this time???

Is it a blown turbo?? Is it burning OIL like crazy for absolutely no damn reason WHAT IS MY CARS PROBLEM!!! Any ideassss??

Keep in mind my model is 2017 Golf TSI 1.8T....I have videos I can post youtube link on here to see my issue....

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
As much smoke as your post leads me to believe there is.. could be a blown head gasket. White smoke is normally coolant being combusted. Blueish grey smoke is oil. Head gasket would be unrelated to the coolant pump or thermostat I believe.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
@Mk7GolfDisease
Your turbo may very well be burning oil also. If you find it difficult to check the compressor connection, just go under the car and disconnect the HOT side of your charge from the turbo to the IC. If thend of the hose and the IC have a good amount of oil there - then your turbo seals are definitely done.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
@Mk7GolfDisease
Your turbo may very well be burning oil also. If you find it difficult to check the compressor connection, just go under the car and disconnect the HOT side of your charge from the turbo to the IC. If thend of the hose and the IC have a good amount of oil there - then your turbo seals are definitely done.
It is possible, but not very likely, that you have bad turbo seals as well as a blown head gasket. Are you using any oil? If the turbo seals are bad, the smoke will have a distinctive blue-ish color to it. If no excessive oil useage, and the smoke you see is white-ish, it's a bad head gasket.
Refer to my comments in your previous posts on diagnostic testing and head gasket replacement.
I understand your frustration- been there, done that. Had a new car that suddenly showed white smoke in the rear view mirror. Got diagnosis of a bad head gasket less than a week before I was to go on a cross-country road trip with the wife with an already-paid, non-refundable event stop on the middle of the scheduled trip. Also had an improperly done warranty head gasket replacement by a VW dealership on a Corrado SLC with the VR-6 motor.

Last edited:

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Check for headgasket issue, also thermostat could have been installed bad too at the dealer I believe they dont take the air intake manifold off to do this and basically do it blind which can obviously cause leaks. Doubt its a cracked head...pull your spark plugs and see if you have tons of coolant in any of the chambers.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Check for headgasket issue, also thermostat could have been installed bad too at the dealer I believe they dont take the air intake manifold off to do this and basically do it blind which can obviously cause leaks. Doubt its a cracked head...pull your spark plugs and see if you have tons of coolant in any of the chambers.

A leaking thermostat won't leak into the exhaust. Plus they replaced his thermostat housing anyway. He can just check the oil on the dipstick to check for water. He's under warranty anyway so it's a dealer problem.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
A leaking thermostat won't leak into the exhaust. Plus they replaced his thermostat housing anyway. He can just check the oil on the dipstick to check for water. He's under warranty anyway so it's a dealer problem.
Definitely a dealer problem- at more than one level!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
As others have said, sounds like a head gasket. The oil will be contaminated with coolant and look milky. It's common for engines to overheat when water pump fails and the overheating can warp the head or blow out the gasket. Had the same thing happen in my Corrado years ago when the plastic water pump impeller disintegrated. By the time the dummy light went off, the damage was done. Had to replace the head gasket, water pump, and aux pump, which didn't like eating little pieces of plastic and was munched up .

I also got white smoke with broken ringland in my 08 STI. It has more of a blue-ish tint to it though.

Looking at your oil should give you a good idea of where to look. If oil is low, but normal looking, that's likely oil smoke. If oil is milky looking, it's head gasket/head related.

Last edited:

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
It is possible, but not very likely, that you have bad turbo seals as well as a blown head gasket. Are you using any oil? If the turbo seals are bad, the smoke will have a distinctive blue-ish color to it. If no excessive oil useage, and the smoke you see is white-ish, it's a bad head gasket.
Refer to my comments in your previous posts on diagnostic testing and head gasket replacement.
I understand your frustration- been there, done that. Had a new car that suddenly showed white smoke in the rear view mirror. Got diagnosis of a bad head gasket less than a week before I was to go on a cross-country road trip with the wife with an already-paid, non-refundable event stop on the middle of the scheduled trip. Also had an improperly done warranty head gasket replacement by a VW dealership on a Corrado SLC with the VR-6 motor.
Also @Mk7GolfDisease
I mentioned the turbo seal - which is actually a "ring" that keeps the shaft balanced, because he was smoking before and after the thermostat housing/water pump service. Albeit, I would hope in "good faith" that the service technician at the dealer would have noticed fluids under the engine bay; too include the OP noticing/reporting fluid spills underneath the vehicle.
If perhaps the Turbo Oil Drain isn't flowing quickly enough, that would also pressurize and bleed through causing his smoke.
The PPF can catch/burn larger petrolium bypass and leave the exhaust more white(ish) than blue(ish).
If you are under warranty, you should (have) contact(ed) your nearest VW service center and scheduled an immediate appointment and not drive the vehicle.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Also @Mk7GolfDisease
I mentioned the turbo seal - which is actually a "ring" that keeps the shaft balanced, because he was smoking before and after the thermostat housing/water pump service. Albeit, I would hope in "good faith" that the service technician at the dealer would have noticed fluids under the engine bay; too include the OP noticing/reporting fluid spills underneath the vehicle.
If perhaps the Turbo Oil Drain isn't flowing quickly enough, that would also pressurize and bleed through causing his smoke.
The PPF can catch/burn larger petrolium bypass and leave the exhaust more white(ish) than blue(ish).
If you are under warranty, you should (have) contact(ed) your nearest VW service center and scheduled an immediate appointment and not drive the vehicle.

Hell his dealer can't see the smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
Just ps im not a he lol im a female but i dont know they are looking at it tomorrow again I mentioned all of your thoughts on paper what to check for by force. Thanks.

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
Hell his dealer can't see the smoke coming out of the exhaust.
Just ps im a female lol not a he but yeah my dealer is on crack im heading there tomorrow and considered all your opinions and thoughts of what to ask them to check for wrote it down on paper. Thanks.

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
Also @Mk7GolfDisease
No they dont give a fuck they just cut corners to how they just changed thermo housing and ignored if there is a possible blown head gasket or turbo sons of bitches. But i agree with what you are saying I dont know much about cars that much in depth just basics but good to know thanks for the thought.