GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whining Noise from Engine Bay

Knack

Passed Driver's Ed
My engine is making a whining noise almost like a supercharger. Directly related to engine RPM and not engine load. My dealership has told me it is nothing three different times.

I haven't taken the serpentine belt off yet to see if it is the A/C or the Alt. but if any of you guys have any clues I would appreciate it.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
I have the same noise - who knows

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Mine has a whine sound also and I think its DSG related and its more noticeable after installing mounts. When I give it gas the whine sorta increases and when i let off it decreases, but its noticeably there and my friends bone stock GTI does the same and his is also a DSG.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Mine has a whine sound also and I think its DSG related and its more noticeable after installing mounts. When I give it gas the whine sorta increases and when i let off it decreases, but its noticeably there and my friends bone stock GTI does the same and his is also a DSG.

Yeah my DSG whines too. OP has a manual though. Mine is nothing like the video though. That's a turbo that's about to shit itself.

Knack

Passed Driver's Ed
My noise doesn’t seem to have anything to do with boost. If I coast down hill in gear will get louder with rpm. Or just revving a little bit not moving it can be heard. I can‘t hear it very much with the windows up. Mostly driving by buildings when the noise reflected back.

Carbohydrate

Passed Driver's Ed
My noise doesn’t seem to have anything to do with boost. If I coast down hill in gear will get louder with rpm. Or just revving a little bit not moving it can be heard. I can‘t hear it very much with the windows up. Mostly driving by buildings when the noise reflected back.

My dsg does the same thing, was worried at first because it can get pretty loud. It's mostly just embarrassing lol

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Mine sounds nothing like that video - lok

Shagustus

Passed Driver's Ed
Power steering may be low on fluid or the pump is going bad.

Shagustus

Passed Driver's Ed
Im pretty sure power steering is electronically assisted and not hydraulic in the MK7.
Might be alternator or accessory belt tensioner.

I see. I was unsure if it was a full electronic gear or if it assisted a traditional hydraulic system. I just hear whining old cars on the road and know that these people are in for an expensive fix when that pump goes tits up.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Mine sounds nothing like that video - lok

That's the whine of death. Mine sounded like that for a few days before a mushroom cloud was exposed from tail pipe haha

Dan84

Ready to race!
That's the whine of death. Mine sounded like that for a few days before a mushroom cloud was exposed from tail pipe haha
I'm sorry to say that's a turbo going, had that on mine and it's manual before I knew it the was a white cloud of smoke

Turbo was replaced under warranty

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk