GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whine on Acceleration

ShadowCatEXE

Car(s)
2021 CFB 6MT GTI
Alright, so it could just be paranoia, but I'd like to ask around to see if anyone has any ideas.

For the last little while I've noticed a decently loud whine while accelerating. It's a Mk7 (2015), and the noise gets louder as RPMs rise, and is most noticeable in sport/manual mode. My assumption is it's DSG related since it happens in almost all gears, and whine basically "resets" after every up shift/downshift.

I'm the second owner, so I'm not sure if the previous owner has done any DSG servicing, but I will pretty soon be taking it in for a service.

Take a listen of the noise on YouTube: https://youtu.be/kIEkK9ASlXc You can hear it in the beginning, however it's more noticeable in the video at 26 seconds.

The noise can be heard slightly from the outside of the car, which is what's leading me to believe it is DSG related.

I've also noticed more clanking from the DSG than normal when downshifting.

Any help is appreciated!

ShadowCatEXE

Car(s)
2021 CFB 6MT GTI
Interesting... The whine seems quite excessive however if this is normal, I'm perfectly fine with it. Just making sure so I'm not going crazy.

thez99

Go Kart Champion
Sounds to me more like a somewhat worn belt or something more engine specific not transmission..

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I don’t get any sound remotely like that with my DSG.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
People are sensitive to different sounds. I often hear people mention the DSG whine. It must be at a frequency I dont pick up on. I dont hear a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Has you’re DSG had an oil and filter change at the correct interval? Is it low on oil? Was it filled with the wrong oil?
low oil in the tranny has the potential to cause a similar noise,
Almost sounds like a straight cut gear!

ShadowCatEXE

Car(s)
2021 CFB 6MT GTI
Has you’re DSG had an oil and filter change at the correct interval? Is it low on oil? Was it filled with the wrong oil?
low oil in the tranny has the potential to cause a similar noise,
Almost sounds like a straight cut gear!
I'm unaware of what the previous owner had done in terms of service, so I'm unsure if it's had a DSG service lately, if at all. I'll be getting one done soon, regardless. All gears drive perfectly fine, and no noticeable power loss.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Then just make sure you bring some cheese to go with the whine..

buccad

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
This is exactly what my car sounds like. Totally normal from what I’ve been told

ShadowCatEXE

Car(s)
2021 CFB 6MT GTI
So update with this I guess for anyone who was looking for an answer to a similar noise... Decided to bring the car to VW to have it checked to make sure it was normal, and they've determined it was a normal quirk with the DSG. Also noted a rattle while decelerating at about 2500k RPM to the advisor, to which I was told this is also a normal thing with the variable camshaft. This one is a bit odd, and I'm always under the impression that if something rattles, something's not right, but I'm not the tech.