GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which struts/shocks are best for comfort/bumps?

Bigsmallguy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk7
Hello all, just got my 1st gti and am so stoked! Used 30k mi, mk7 sport, stage 1 manual ofcourse cmon now..

I’m wondering what should I get in my suspension for maximum comfort, something that can handle bumps and rough roads here in LA. I don’t want to lower the car. Im looking for max comfort , I don’t care if it slightly lowers performance, I just need it to handle bumps better.

Moreover, I’m pretty sure there’s something wrong with a shock/strut front left. When I first bought it , it wasn’t too bad. But stiff. Hit a small pothole , now it’s clunking and clanking over any bump or rough surface, especially small potholes. I have an appointment to get it looked at next week. I live in LA, there’s potholes and rough roads everywhere, I can’t drive more than 45 mph without bouncing my head and clunking, feeling like the wheel will fall of over bumps over 40 mph. Extremely frustrating as I truly can’t even drive it over 45 mph on the roads without feeling like I’ll lose my wheel!! Freeways are okay. But still a bouncy rough ride.

What do you guys recommend? Just struts? Springs as well? OEM or aftermarket? Bump stops? I did research and it seems like the koni special actives are meant for this comfort im looking for. But I truly don’t know if I should get any supporting parts like springs etc., that’ll truly improve comfort. Or if just struts are fine. I’m trying to keep it under $1000, much preferably under $600. Tire rack.com has the koni special actives for around $170 per strut. Again am not trying to lower the car. What do you guys recommend?

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I found the factory springs/dampers jittery. When I switched to the VWR Spring/Damper kit the car settled down and rode more smoothly. Even slightly lowered. I believe the VWR Damper set can be purchased on its own without the springs. Would be worth researching if they pair well with factory springs.

Bigsmallguy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk7
I found the factory springs/dampers jittery. When I switched to the VWR Spring/Damper kit the car settled down and rode more smoothly. Even slightly lowered. I believe the VWR Damper set can be purchased on its own without the springs. Would be worth researching if they pair well with factory springs.
Hmm okay thanks for the reply , it looks like they lower the suspension? I’m not trying to lower the suspension, LA has such poor road quality I’m afraid I’ll be bouncing all over the place haha

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Hmm okay thanks for the reply , it looks like they lower the suspension? I’m not trying to lower the suspension, LA has such poor road quality I’m afraid I’ll be bouncing all over the place haha
The VWR struts/shocks don’t lower the suspension. The VWR springs lower the suspension. They come as a matched kit or you can buy the components separately- the dampers are available stand alone as well as the springs.. I used the whole kit.

…..I found an old thread of a user who paired the VWR struts/shocks with factory springs with success.

Just an often overlooked damper option that I’m throwing out there as an alternative to the usual Bilstein and Koni offerings.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
do you have DCC? Like the adjustable dampening? or is it fixed?
I have been going through the same process except with DCC.

From what it sounds like you might want to consider the Bilstein B4's, and if you do want to lower it, something minimal like the Eibach's, anything more and you might put too much stress on the shock. The VMR's sound interesting too, I haven't looked into it myself (was looking for a DCC option), but they always have a great product.

Pretty much will keep things OEM, but like you, I think I hit the mark where my shocks are done and after driving in pot hole city Montreal to visit relatives frequently, the life span decreases.

I have no idea how places like LA or Montreal (among other cities of course) have so many exotic cars running around and not blowing out their suspensions on a regular basis? Or maybe I am too poor to understand?? lol

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I don't have them but

Koni Special Active

may be something to research.

Bigsmallguy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk7
do you have DCC? Like the adjustable dampening? or is it fixed?
I have been going through the same process except with DCC.

From what it sounds like you might want to consider the Bilstein B4's, and if you do want to lower it, something minimal like the Eibach's, anything more and you might put too much stress on the shock. The VMR's sound interesting too, I haven't looked into it myself (was looking for a DCC option), but they always have a great product.

Pretty much will keep things OEM, but like you, I think I hit the mark where my shocks are done and after driving in pot hole city Montreal to visit relatives frequently, the life span decreases.

I have no idea how places like LA or Montreal (among other cities of course) have so many exotic cars running around and not blowing out their suspensions on a regular basis? Or maybe I am too poor to understand?? lol
Seriously LA is a nightmare! For me, I’m most certain my left strut is shot , that’s what causing to be extra bumpy. My seller told me the suspension is stock, I hope so. But I still need something to handle rough rides better, being in la. From what I’ve researched, the koni special actives seem the best for rough roads, for they’re not even meant to be used with lowered suspensions, whereas almost all aftermarket struts are designed for lowered cars. Take a look at their YouTube reviews, ppl love them over bumpy rides!

Bigsmallguy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk7
The VWR struts/shocks don’t lower the suspension. The VWR springs lower the suspension. They come as a matched kit or you can buy the components separately- the dampers are available stand alone as well as the springs.. I used the whole kit.

…..I found an old thread of a user who paired the VWR struts/shocks with factory springs with success.

Just an often overlooked damper option that I’m throwing out there as an alternative to the usual Bilstein and Koni offerings.
Hmm gotcha thanks I’ll look into that! The main reason my ride is so rough is bc I’m certain my front left strut is shot. I just want the best strut to handle these horrendous roads in LA, and obviously don’t want to lower the car.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Go with some taller tires or smaller wheels with bigger...more volume tires. Lol...you can always look for some Golf suspension. It will give you a softer ride...while raising the ride height slightly.

Bigsmallguy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk7
Btw w
Btw would you know if the VWR struts are similar in price to the gti struts? I’m definitely looking into those. Also, would you know of any aftermarket struts made specifically for.l comfort on standard/not lowered springs? If your take is that the VWR is best for comfort , I’ll definitely consider them. I just need something to handle these terrible roads of LA!

Bigsmallguy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk7
Go with some taller tires or smaller wheels with bigger...more volume tires. Lol...you can always look for some Golf suspension. It will give you a softer ride...while raising the ride height slightly.
I’m definitely getting the tallest tires I can possibly get for my 17’ gti sport rims, lol. As I believe it’s the logic, the taller the more comfort right? I really want a setup to tackle the rough roads and potholes in LA. Also someone mentioned the VWR struts as better I’m looking into those too

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
Check your tire pressures....my 17 gti rode kinda bad....the tires were underinflated, which cause the car to bounce more. I inflate to 38 psi all around now and it just glides over most bumps....potholes, though...you should avoid. I can tell when the tire pressure is off by more than 3 psi...ride gets worse.

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Check your tire pressures....my 17 gti rode kinda bad....the tires were underinflated, which cause the car to bounce more. I inflate to 38 psi all around now and it just glides over most bumps....potholes, though...you should avoid. I can tell when the tire pressure is off by more than 3 psi...ride gets worse.
38 is too high for any kind of rough road. Try 33 PSI, 32 would be the lowest I'd go. I run 17" and that helps.