GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which Oil catch for mk7.5 R?

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
Use the BL revision of the PCV and a cheap catch can and a good oil pan when you start tracking.
I installed a racingline catch can and have drained it twice and it collects a lot of oil. I daily drive my car and itā€™s definitely not stock...
the picture is what it collected after about 3 months after the first time I drained. Iā€™m glad I got one.
Still donā€™t know why people think catch cans donā€™t work lol

Attachments

• B6C7FA94-C4AC-4C2E-8163-4A7AE085FC87.png
    B6C7FA94-C4AC-4C2E-8163-4A7AE085FC87.png
    8.3 MB · Views: 114

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I installed a racingline catch can and have drained it twice and it collects a lot of oil. I daily drive my car and itā€™s definitely not stock...
the picture is what it collected after about 3 months after the first time I drained. Iā€™m glad I got one.

The racingline cc removes the factory PCV. Great job creating a problem, then spending $600 to fix it.

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
The racingline cc removes the factory PCV. Great job creating a problem, then spending $600 to fix it.
How did I create a problem? Lol Please explain. Iā€™ve seen others running racinglines catch can and no issues.
I also experienced some smoke once after I got my car back from getting my hybrid turbo Installed, but never happened again since and after installed this catch can.
I hope you actually have experience with catch cans and not just giving input based on what you read and not tried.
I donā€™t think you can compare your car to mine either because our cars have different mods.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
How did I create a problem? Lol Please explain. Iā€™ve seen others running racinglines catch can and no issues.
I also experienced some smoke once after I got my car back from getting my hybrid turbo Installed, but never happened again since and after installed this catch can.
I hope you actually have experience with catch cans and not just giving input based on what you read and not tried.
I donā€™t think you can compare your car to mine either because looking at your info your car is stock.

YOU REMOVED THE FACTORY PCV. That's why you have so much oil in your CC.

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
To be fair... letā€™s say $300 of that $600 was to create the problemšŸ˜‚
If youā€™re referring to paying to get a carb cleaning instead of a catch can, I ā€œtechnicallyā€œ donā€™t have to do carb cleaning because I have an MPI kit. European Model Golf Rā€™s donā€™t require carb cleaning because they come standard with port injection.
I had an intake manifold installed a few weeks ago and the valves still looked clean. Probably wonā€™t need a carb cleaning at 30k miles, but iā€™ll see when that time comes.

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
YOU REMOVED THE FACTORY PCV. That's why you have so much oil in your CC.
Ok. Lol
Like I said my car hasnā€™t caused smoke to appear since.
Worth it to me. No one is making you get one. Itā€™s doing itā€™s job for me.

Navi

Autocross Champion

thats mostly water. More condensation than anything else. I ran the VWR for awhile and it caught pretty much the same thing. Water with minimal oil. In summer it was barely anything.

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
thats mostly water. More condensation than anything else. I ran the VWR for awhile and it caught pretty much the same thing. Water with minimal oil. In summer it was barely anything.
still collecting it and preventing it from going into the turbo piping, intercooler, intake manifold, and also preventing smoke to appear again.

Last edited:

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
I donā€™t think you can compare your car to mine either because our cars have different mods.

For a majority of people, a factory PCV is sufficient to separate oil and air. GTIfan has posted recently in a lot of threads, especially with other members arguing against him, about how it's stupid to remove the factory PCV so a catch can will collect something. For most applications, a catch can in-line with the factory PCV catches nothing, showing the factory PCV is doing it's job.

That being said, I don't think your build falls into the majority of people. I'd imagine running a stg 3+ with a full E tune can push boost higher than what the factory PCV can handle, thus resulting in an occasional smoke screen you said you've seen. Ed from EQT says he thinks the factory PCV is pushed to it's limits, and probably past it, on a typical stage 2 tune.

BTW, I'm just down the street from you in Placentia. Haven't seen too many R's around on the street.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I need to pop more popcorn......I'm going through it lately between catch cans and FMIC discussions lol

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
For a majority of people, a factory PCV is sufficient to separate oil and air. GTIfan has posted recently in a lot of threads, especially with other members arguing against him, about how it's stupid to remove the factory PCV so a catch can will collect something. For most applications, a catch can in-line with the factory PCV catches nothing, showing the factory PCV is doing it's job.

That being said, I don't think your build falls into the majority of people. I'd imagine running a stg 3+ with a full E tune can push boost higher than what the factory PCV can handle, thus resulting in an occasional smoke screen you said you've seen. Ed from EQT says he thinks the factory PCV is pushed to it's limits, and probably past it, on a typical stage 2 tune.

BTW, I'm just down the street from you in Placentia. Haven't seen too many R's around on the street.
Yeah you make a good point. If I was still stock I wouldnā€™t run one. When I first made this thread I had only an intake and exhaust, but knew I was going to go for more power.
Iā€™ve seen a few people on YouTube recommend Racinglineā€™s catch can if you are stage 3/3+ or are going to go stage 3/3+ in the future for that reason of the smoke. Itā€™s doing itā€™s job for sure.

But nice! Not too far away. See a couple Rā€™s once in awhile around me, but mostly GTIā€™s and Golfs lol. šŸ¤™šŸ¼