GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which OBD11 to get

OryxRob

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI PP Oryx
Hi all,
im looking to get an OBD11 & just wondering what would be the best option.
im not planning on doing loads of coding, just general maintenance / fault diagnostics & potentially once warranty is up, some coding like adding a rear camera in the future & re setting service.
I’m thinking of a next gen one but would a pro be more than I’d need or would it be ok & do I just need to add credits if doing mods not fault diagnostic? & what kind of credit usage would you need?

thanks,
Rob.

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I bought mine 4 years ago (pro) and no charge to credits for diagnostics or coding. The 'apps' charge credits, but in some cases one can achieve the result with coding, and oftentimes the coding can be found online here (golfmk7) or on vwvortex.

I try to remember to open obdeleven once a day for a free credit. Usually remember 3-4 times a week but now I've accumulated over 400 credits. I doubt I'll ever use them up.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Next Gen pro BUT buy the device and the pro licence separately as it works out cheaper. I had mine from when they first came out then upgraded to the next Gen when that came out and it is much faster.

As said if you want credits log on avery day as you get 5 a day. I have over 1000 that I will never use though now as I always use the adaptations or long coding.

OryxRob

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI PP Oryx
So essentially you buy the OBD tool & pro licence only then build the credits by logging onto the app.

Thanks for the advice.

Rob.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
I bought a Pro one for my Golf last week, it came with the licenses and 200 credits to get me started.

I have to say, I didn't look into it much - I was diagnosing a problem with my heating (matrix issue) and kinda needed it sooner, rather than later.. I did some research to find out if it really was a suitable alternative to Ross Tech cable and one of the reviews I watched told me to do it that way.

If you order them via their Amazon webshop, rather than direct, you'll get it next day. You may also avoid having to pay import tax on it when it arrives. Mine was £119, I also bought the pouch for it (included with the ultimate one) to keep it safe in my car but you don't need that if you keep the box I guess!

Hope that helps! Mine's been instrumental in working on my heater this weekend, the live data you can get from it is really useful and easy to setup - albeit for some reason, temperatures are given in Farenheit and I haven't found an option for changing it yet..