GOLFMKV

Which Michelin's? PS4S vs. PSAS4S

Which Michelin's? PS4S vs. PSAS4S

• Total voters

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
not to hijack the thread but how are you guys getting 30k miles out of stock tires??? the most i've gotten on the stock tires is about 20k on 3 different GTIs. 2 came with Pirelli and one had the Hankooks. i rotate every 5k miles and always check alignment... i don't get it

I have a 50 mile all highway commute. Does not give me a lot of opportunity to shred lol. Stock suspension as well so no alignment adjustments that could potentially wear the tire faster.

coloradoman

Car(s)
2019 Golf
I just purchased the PSAS4 last week but I live in Denver and get more use out of the all-season capabilities of the tire than you would.

Regardless of which one you decide on, know that Tire Rack currently has a promotion with Michelin where you get a $120 rebate for a set of any Pilot Sport tires. I believe some other dealers participate in that promo as well but Discount Tire for example does not. Just an FYI in case it makes your decision a little easier.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I just purchased the PSAS4 last week but I live in Denver and get more use out of the all-season capabilities of the tire than you would.

Regardless of which one you decide on, know that Tire Rack currently has a promotion with Michelin where you get a $120 rebate for a set of any Pilot Sport tires. I believe some other dealers participate in that promo as well but Discount Tire for example does not. Just an FYI in case it makes your decision a little easier.
Discount (America's Tire in California) will price match TireRack, even with rebates.

Having owned both tires, and having lived just south of LB, I'd do PS4 all day, they're better in the rain than AS4 and better in the dry. The only thing they give up is that they get squirrely in temps below about 45, but you'll obviously never have to worry about that. Full disclosure, I'm currently on AS4 because of the need to visit family in the mountains of New Mexico, but I will likely run PS4 on the Apex once they're out and just leave the AS4 for road trips as needed, and our once a decade snowpocalypse.

coloradoman

Car(s)
2019 Golf
Discount Tire shot me down and just flat out said that they will have their own Michelin promo soon. I wanted my tires instead of messing around with them so TR got my business.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Discount Tire shot me down and just flat out said that they will have their own Michelin promo soon. I wanted my tires instead of messing around with them so TR got my business.
Can't go wrong with TR, and I do think price matching definitely depends on which rep you get. I've had good luck with them, but have also heard plenty of your examples too.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I didn't get much mileage out of 2 sets of of the A/S3+ either but they don't make them anymore. The ASPS4 replaced them and I'm getting a lot better treadlife with them.

Is the ride quality and road noise any better with the new ones? I've been waiting on reviews of the new DWS06 Plus so I can ditch my AS3+ which are too harsh for the crappy roads here.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Is the ride quality and road noise any better with the new ones? I've been waiting on reviews of the new DWS06 Plus so I can ditch my AS3+ which are too harsh for the crappy roads here.
Ride quality is fine and no road noise. 225-45-17

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
AS4 are much quieter than the AS3+ and do have a mildly softer sidewall. I didn't find the AS3+ all that harsh, but the AS4 do feel more civilized.

AquaTone61

Car(s)
2015 GTI SE DSG
I just bought a set of the PSAS4S in 225/40r18. I don't really need the all season (snow) capability in FL but sometimes I do travel for work and head northish when it is cold. Either will be good but the summer only tires will have better dry grip and steering response. I had 2 sets PSS on my MK6 GTI and the grip in the wet was pheromonal, I'll bet the PS4S is even better. I will say that rotating my PSS's every 5k miles helped tread life greatly. 10k miles is too much for that sticky of a tire. So far I am very impressed with the PSAS4S.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
not to hijack the thread but how are you guys getting 30k miles out of stock tires??? the most i've gotten on the stock tires is about 20k on 3 different GTIs. 2 came with Pirelli and one had the Hankooks. i rotate every 5k miles and always check alignment... i don't get it
Bro I can’t even get a year out of mine 🤷🏽‍♂️ And I only drive like 3-5k a year

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
I've been running the PS4S as on my stock wheels and switch to a winter tire to deal with the snow here.

I woudn't worry about giving up wet traction with the PS4S; they're pretty darn good in the wet. They're not a cheater "street legal" tire like the Pilot Sport Cup 2. I wouldn't recommend driving around on any summer tires below freezing, but the traction drop-off in sub 45F weather doesn't seem to happen as quickly as it did with the Bridgestone Potenza S04s or RE050A that I had on my previous car.

The PS4S seem quieter than I remember my Bridgestones sounding, but I'm probably not the best judge of that since I'm not used to quiet tires. Not like winter tires tend to be especially quiet, either.

I'm running PS3's right now on my MK6 R. With Covid, I hardly drove anywhere last year, but the tires are getting old. I still have about 3/16" of tread left, but I'll be looking at getting the PS4AS in the next month or so.
I buy all of my tires at the Canoga Park, CA America's Tire store. I'm hoping that they will have a "special" on Michelin when I order them. I just put a set of PS3ASs on the Wife's CC Lux because the old PS3s were really old, so old it was scary.
My R is somewhat modded, but not outrageously so, and I drive Mulholland, Kanan, and Malibu Canyon almost every week, so good rubber is a must.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

seriously? I got 50K out of both my last 2 GTI’s stock tires

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I have a 50 mile all highway commute. Does not give me a lot of opportunity to shred lol. Stock suspension as well so no alignment adjustments that could potentially wear the tire faster.
Bam, yeah me too. I commuted 50 miles each way, 95% highway on my stock suspension MK6 GTI to college, and once I got an internship/job and got a MK7 GTI that place was 38 highway miles away. So lotttssss of mileage on the commute alone. And I go like 65 in CC for mileage, so the tires aren’t being worked hard at all

rip steakface

Go Kart Newbie
don't get me wrong, i'm glad to replace the stock tires (ESPECIALLY the hankooks...) with something i want, but i feel lucky to get 20k out of them. all 3 of my GTIs have been on stock suspension. i rotate every 5k miles and keep the alignment in check. properly inflated. 2-3 1,500 mile highway round-trips to SC a year (cc set between 65-72). 11 mile commute (when i do go into the office), and lots of short trips and back road blasts. so basically a little bit of everything. 12-15k miles a year. what am i doing wrong??? 🤷‍♂️