GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which meth kit?

bigdaddyvoodoo

Ready to race!
I'm taking the plunge and doing some W/M injection. I have made up my mind to go with a Snow kit but I'm not sure which one. Seems like most folks go with Stage 2 MAF/MAP but when I emailed Snow they replied with Stage 2 boost cooler.

Any of you all running one of these kits?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I will be running the Burger Motorsport kit due to the JB1 acting as the meth controller natively.

I would assume any kit that functions off a vacuum source would work, couple that with the CTS turbo inlet pipe with the meth bung and you should be set.

Mr.boles

Ready to race!
Snow stage 2 will work great for you. I had devils own stage 2 on my mk5 and loved it but I'm going to go with AEM. I heard good things about it and I like their controller size but any boost based reputable brand will work great if your on a budget but if you want the bees knees go with Aquamist. To be honest I think their kits are overkill, our cars have an amazingly smart ECU so you don't need all their failsafes and sensors or need to do Direct port, to me are manifolds are design good enough so you won't have any cylinders running the rich or lean (drastically) because of lack of air so there's no need to do direct port some people spray after the throttlebody because methanol is corrosive but as long as you don't spray too much it should atomize before its a problem. With a throttle pipe like CTS turbos the sprayer is located where it will be able to be picked up by the air inlet sensor and the ECU will adjust timing. I personally plan on running 2 nozzles one in a throttle pipe for cooling on the sensor and one in a throttle body spacer(not sold yet) for octane boost. Do your homework and don't let people or companies make you think you get more power with Direct port mostly the advantages of that is cylinder cleaning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Snow stage 2 will work great for you. I had devils own stage 2 on my mk5 and loved it but I'm going to go with AEM. I heard good things about it and I like their controller size but any boost based reputable brand will work great if your on a budget but if you want the bees knees go with Aquamist. To be honest I think their kits are overkill, our cars have an amazingly smart ECU so you don't need all their failsafes and sensors or need to do Direct port, to me are manifolds are design good enough so you won't have any cylinders running the rich or lean (drastically) because of lack of air so there's no need to do direct port some people spray after the throttlebody because methanol is corrosive but as long as you don't spray too much it should atomize before its a problem. With a throttle pipe like CTS turbos the sprayer is located where it will be able to be picked up by the air inlet sensor and the ECU will adjust timing. I personally plan on running 2 nozzles one in a throttle pipe for cooling on the sensor and one in a throttle body spacer(not sold yet) for octane boost. Do your homework and don't let people or companies make you think you get more power with Direct port mostly the advantages of that is cylinder cleaning

Awesome answer! Thanks.

bigdaddyvoodoo

Ready to race!

Thank you for the reply. I still don't know the difference in their Staeg 2 MAF/MAP and Stage 2 Boost Cooler kits both are progressive controllers and both say for turbo applications. Looks like only the controller type is different?

Last edited:

Mr.boles

Ready to race!
Thank you for the reply but I still don't know the difference in their Staeg 2 MAF/MAP and Stage 2 Boost Cooler kits.

MAP = boost you can look up mk5 Ultimate water methanol form it will explain the differences the guys at BSH ran both styles and Snow and devils own kits and they recommend MAP or (boost) MAF can be done but it has its issues and is more popular used in naturally aspirated applications the idea although NOT 100% accurate but close is boost equals pressure, pressure equals heat and the methanol is sprayed to cool it down also and the more pressure (boost) the more air you have the more methanol you can spray. Spring too much with not enough air coming in will cause quench (not good)

Mr.boles

Ready to race!
Thank you for the reply. I still don't know the difference in their Staeg 2 MAF/MAP and Stage 2 Boost Cooler kits both are progressive controllers and both say for turbo applications. Looks like only the controller type is different?

Sorry misread that the (boost cooler) works just off boost and has two controllers styles and the (stage 2 MAF/MAP) works off of boost or MAF signal you can use either go with what's within your budget

Last edited:

DXJP

Passed Driver's Ed
From my trials with the MQB R using the snow stage three.

I used a MK6 spacer it fits, BUT you need to change the Oring to a fat round instead of the flat to get enough seal around it. The MK6 if I'm right has threads on the intake, where the R uses some hefty threaded screws into the plastic. I bored mine out and did metal inserts with airadite 2part epoxy, lets hope it holds at high boost.

The spacer puts your TB down to where it hits on the water pump. I clocked it with the butterfly 90 deg from original position. Lets hope that doesn't hinder flow through the manifold. The cable will reach just reposition the little clam clamp that holds it to the manifold fin.

Im using the stage 3 snow so it works off boost and injector pulse. I also bought the flow controller so if there is no meth I can drop boost. Im using turbosmart boost controller. It has an input for it. There is one nozzle at the pipe just after the intercooler for normal, the TB plate is for high boost spray. I opted to get the 2 1/2 gall tank as well with the level sensor. I think it should work fine. Im working on a ROW so I have the lower direct port injectors, and the upper secondaries. There is no room in the runners to do direct port, none under as well. Best thing I could think if you need direct port on these is through the plenum pointed at each runner.

I have helped Richard@ aquamist with pics and stuff using the ROW intake. he has used the secondary injector ports for the direct port meth. This is by far the cleanest and easiest way to get into the runners on any of the US cars.

Ill post up more as I think of it, and will get some pics up soon.

roy2535

Passed Driver's Ed
My interest in wmi is that I see it as an alternative to an intercooler. My thinking is that it will provide a more consistent and precise drop in intake temp, as the intercooler only works when the car is moving and thus can dissipate the heat. I actually asked Richard of Aquamist from another thread on this forum and he said that the HFS4 system could be hooked up to the IAT sensor and spray based on intake temp. I'm just gonna be spraying water to lower the intake temp as summer here gets really hot and humid. From what I've read so far, only Aquamist sells a system that controls spray base on IAT. I've also checked out offerings from Snow and AEM and they don't appear to offer that option.

Please kindly correct me if I'm wrong. I've never installed a wmi/intercooler on my previous cars and have only recently started to look into this topic in detail. Thanks!

Mr.boles

Ready to race!
From my trials with the MQB R using the snow stage three.

I used a MK6 spacer it fits, BUT you need to change the Oring to a fat round instead of the flat to get enough seal around it. The MK6 if I'm right has threads on the intake, where the R uses some hefty threaded screws into the plastic. I bored mine out and did metal inserts with airadite 2part epoxy, lets hope it holds at high boost.

The spacer puts your TB down to where it hits on the water pump. I clocked it with the butterfly 90 deg from original position. Lets hope that doesn't hinder flow through the manifold. The cable will reach just reposition the little clam clamp that holds it to the manifold fin.

Im using the stage 3 snow so it works off boost and injector pulse. I also bought the flow controller so if there is no meth I can drop boost. Im using turbosmart boost controller. It has an input for it. There is one nozzle at the pipe just after the intercooler for normal, the TB plate is for high boost spray. I opted to get the 2 1/2 gall tank as well with the level sensor. I think it should work fine. Im working on a ROW so I have the lower direct port injectors, and the upper secondaries. There is no room in the runners to do direct port, none under as well. Best thing I could think if you need direct port on these is through the plenum pointed at each runner.

I have helped Richard@ aquamist with pics and stuff using the ROW intake. he has used the secondary injector ports for the direct port meth. This is by far the cleanest and easiest way to get into the runners on any of the US cars.

Ill post up more as I think of it, and will get some pics up soon.

Nice set up man Im curious what wire do you tap for injector pulse and do you think it's necessary if I have no intentions of doing direct port

DXJP

Passed Driver's Ed
You tap into any of two injector wires for the pulse. I would say to still use it even if your not direct port. This will give you a two stage system, and you have the pulse/boost failsafe.

Roy2535

I would say for your requirements the AIT would be the way to go. I know how humid it gets there. However you could still use the other options as a boost signal will only allow for spray when there is a charge in the pipe. I don't know how the AIT would work at say idle in heaven traffic. As the air temp comes up would it then signal flow, or is it also corresponding with another signal such as injector pulse, or boost pressure. Im sure there are many signals they use to signal the controller to activate.

Mr.boles

Ready to race!
Can you explain to me why spraying off injector pulse and boost is better then just boost. I thought Injector pulse was not a failsafe

DXJP

Passed Driver's Ed
From the Snow site

The stage 3 controller from Snow Performance stands as the most advanced water-methanol injection controller on the planet. Utilizing boost/fuel injector pulse width to command injection, the stage 3 will create a 2D MAP to calculate load of the engine and inject precise amounts of water-methanol exactly when your vehicle needs it. Taking it one step further, the stage 3 commands 2 nozzles independently of one another to ensure exact amounts of water-methanol is injected at all engine load states of the vehicle.

Mr.boles

Ready to race!
Yeah man I read that still doesn't answer my question what does injector pulse tell the controller to do

DXJP

Passed Driver's Ed
I would assume it's to balance between load and boost. There is a percentage adjustment between the two so I would guess it's to make a smother transition between the two jets, and activation of them. Like pw for low flow, and pw/boost for transition into high flow.

TBH I have only ever ran meth on a old Camero I used to beat on. So I'm a little new at this controller. The instructions don't have any reference to why either. Maf signaling I have a little background in, so I'll have to get some ejimication on this system.