GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which lowering springs should I go with?

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
I ordered EMD springs and reached out to their support regarding the reverse pads. Per the email response I received, these are only necessary for the R due to the haldex system extra weight... I'm not sure though because as others have experienced with various springs, they still get reverse rake...

Anyone have experience with EMD springs and if the pads are necessary? How difficult is it to install the pads should it look fine initially and then settle in time with a lower rear? I only ask because more than likely I'm getting them professional installed and I want them one and done the first time out. I don't want to find out I need to pay like 200 bucks in labor to stuff in 2 pads because they didn't get installed initially...
It's pretty easy to change the rear springs/perches yourself, just three bolts and nuts per side. I'm sure it still won't be that cheap to get someone else to do it though.

Drincc

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Here’s a pic for you @MK7Fanatic

H&R OE Sports with TT rear springs pads. 7-speed DSG.
View attachment 216382

I'll provide another data point for OE Sports with the TT pads.

idu50u7tmev61.jpg

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Another reference - 2018 w/6sp DSG. H&R OE Sport springs, no pads, stock DCC dampers (don't mind the dirt).

IMG_6993.jpg

IMG_7440.jpg

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Another reference - 2018 w/6sp DSG. H&R OE Sport springs, no pads, stock DCC dampers (don't mind the dirt).

View attachment 216405

View attachment 216404

Oh wow ok i think this one did it for me right now, looks to be about 1" or more. Same color as my car with stock wheels. Do you have a bit of reverse rake? I think i am going to get the MQB reverse rake pads just in case I prefer the rear to sit level OR slightly higher than the front.

I do not have DCC though but everyone seems to say it rides well either way

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Some of these "OE" springs look pretty low. What's OE about them? The spring rates?

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Oh wow ok i think this one did it for me right now, looks to be about 1" or more. Same color as my car with stock wheels. Do you have a bit of reverse rake? I think i am going to get the MQB reverse rake pads just in case I prefer the rear to sit level OR slightly higher than the front.

I do not have DCC though but everyone seems to say it rides well either way
I can measure again - when I measured after install the ground to arch was pretty close to equal (side to side wasn't flat ground)

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Some of these "OE" springs look pretty low. What's OE about them? The spring rates?
Yeah I agree wondering the same as well. I'm sure they are noticeably stiffer than stock. I just don't want to go too low and too harsh of a ride. I've had many lowered cars prior from coilovers to springs + Koni Yellows on my 8th gen civic si. I don't want it that harsh this time and less of a drop.

These or EMD's are on top of my list. Except I've heard EMD's with their softer spring rates bottom out on stock struts.

Again I'd probably upgrade my struts LATER on but I just got the car, not going to make the same mistake and dump a bunch of money into it right away. I'll also be doing the labour.
I can measure again - when I measured after install the ground to arch was pretty close to equal (side to side wasn't flat ground)

That would be great! How long have you had it for and overall how do you like it / rate it compared to stock?