GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which lowering springs should I go with?

Drincc

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
What springs are you on? I'm narrowing it down to H&R OE or Eibach Pro kit (not sure US or Euro version yet) and still deciding on changing out my dampers or not.

Also just came across APR which seems to be another option. 0.75~1" drop and doesn't seem to have reverse rake issues.

I went OE Sport on the stock dampers. Considering I had only 5000km on them prior to install, I'll run them until they start to suck and change from there. I'm used to harsh rides from coilovers, and with such low mileage on my car, the degradation isn't that bad to me. APR is apparently decent, but lowers more than advertised.

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
I went OE Sport on the stock dampers. Considering I had only 5000km on them prior to install, I'll run them until they start to suck and change from there. I'm used to harsh rides from coilovers, and with such low mileage on my car, the degradation isn't that bad to me. APR is apparently decent, but lowers more than advertised.

Did you have any reverse rake issues with h&r OE? I heard even with TT rear pads the rear still sits a bit lower?

OE advertised 0.75" drop but I believe most people end up with 1" or little bit more? Seems to be the same with APR springs

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
For reverse rake, I think it depends on whether you are DSG or MT. DSGs are heaver in the front and that can cause them to sit lower, balancing out reverse rake.
Mine is DSG. Seems like a lot of lowering springs have the same issues. I hate it when the rear sits lower than the front. From what I'm reading and seeing APR doesn't have this issue

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Mine is DSG. Seems like a lot of lowering springs have the same issues. I hate it when the rear sits lower than the front. From what I'm reading and seeing APR doesn't have this issue
The ECS coilovers don't have that problem either. The rear sits a little higher than the front until you get on it and the front naturally lifts up.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
The ECS coilovers don't have that problem either. The rear sits a little higher than the front until you get on it and the front naturally lifts up.
They are coilovers, of course they don’t have the issue. If your coil over setup have reverse rake or excessive rake, etc that would just mean you didn’t adjust them right for the stance you want.

With lowering springs there’s is also this option if you need more height than the TT pads… I’m using them with my airbags so I can run the rear at a lower pressure and still get the ride height I need to not rub.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-emmanue...VrSKjSOROY1VuUImiyAPL_bHiKarElQQaAuKXEALw_wcB

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
They are coilovers, of course they don’t have the issue. If your coil over setup have reverse rake or excessive rake, etc that would just mean you didn’t adjust them right for the stance you want.

With lowering springs there’s is also this option if you need more height than the TT pads… I’m using them with my airbags so I can run the rear at a lower pressure and still get the ride height I need to not rub.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-emmanue...VrSKjSOROY1VuUImiyAPL_bHiKarElQQaAuKXEALw_wcB
Should have said at the maximum height the rear still is higher than the front.

Drincc

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Did you have any reverse rake issues with h&r OE? I heard even with TT rear pads the rear still sits a bit lower?

OE advertised 0.75" drop but I believe most people end up with 1" or little bit more? Seems to be the same with APR springs

It evens out with the TT pads, maybe even slightly higher which is my preference.

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI

Oh yes I was looking at these! Might be easier to get my hands on this vs TT pads. These are thicker than TT pads??
It evens out with the TT pads, maybe even slightly higher which is my preference.
Ok good to hear this. Was worried even with TT pads it might still have some reverse rake. I'm really leaning towards H&R OE now

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Thanks! Definitely towards a spring/strut combo vs coil overs after doing some more research. Seems to suit my needs more.

I'm leaning towards H&R OE or EIbach Pro Kit at the moment as they seem to pair better with Bilstein B6 or Koni yellows

I'm noticing that most springs will cause the car to have a "reverse rake" look. Are all you guys running MQB or TT spring pads?
I bought the TT rear pads but ended up not needing them with the VWR springs. The rear sat slightly higher than the front on my 6mt GTI without the TT pads.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I ordered EMD springs and reached out to their support regarding the reverse pads. Per the email response I received, these are only necessary for the R due to the haldex system extra weight... I'm not sure though because as others have experienced with various springs, they still get reverse rake...

Anyone have experience with EMD springs and if the pads are necessary? How difficult is it to install the pads should it look fine initially and then settle in time with a lower rear? I only ask because more than likely I'm getting them professional installed and I want them one and done the first time out. I don't want to find out I need to pay like 200 bucks in labor to stuff in 2 pads because they didn't get installed initially...

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Here’s a pic for you @MK7Fanatic

H&R OE Sports with TT rear springs pads. 7-speed DSG.
411E58F4-4B02-4D4B-AAB5-CFF22CF36A89.jpeg

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I ordered EMD springs and reached out to their support regarding the reverse pads. Per the email response I received, these are only necessary for the R due to the haldex system extra weight... I'm not sure though because as others have experienced with various springs, they still get reverse rake...

Anyone have experience with EMD springs and if the pads are necessary? How difficult is it to install the pads should it look fine initially and then settle in time with a lower rear? I only ask because more than likely I'm getting them professional installed and I want them one and done the first time out. I don't want to find out I need to pay like 200 bucks in labor to stuff in 2 pads because they didn't get installed initially...
I got the emd pads on my car for free cause my friend got the emd springs on his 2019 GTI s with the manual and didn’t use them as he didn’t need it either.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I got the emd pads on my car for free cause my friend got the emd springs on his 2019 GTI s with the manual and didn’t use them as he didn’t need it either.

Well what's the deal then with them? I also have manual but actually thought having DSG helps because the extra weight of the DSG trans in the front helps push down to keep the back from dipping... You put them on even if you didn't need them? Is there any negative to doing that? I guess my thinking is, I don't want them to prevent the drop I'm looking for, but also don't want to have the weird look of the car sitting lower in the rear than the front... Should I just throw them on just in case? Did you actually need them or just put them on because you got them for free?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Well what's the deal then with them? I also have manual but actually thought having DSG helps because the extra weight of the DSG trans in the front helps push down to keep the back from dipping... You put them on even if you didn't need them? Is there any negative to doing that? I guess my thinking is, I don't want them to prevent the drop I'm looking for, but also don't want to have the weird look of the car sitting lower in the rear than the front... Should I just throw them on just in case? Did you actually need them or just put them on because you got them for free?

I’m using them with my airbags so I can run the rear at a lower pressure and still get the ride height I need to not rub.