GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which lowering springs should I go with?

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Hey guys,

I did read the sticky on top but the more I read the more overwhelmed i am trying to decide which lowering springs to go with. Little back story - Purchased my 2018 mk7.5 GTI a few weeks back with 20k miles on it, bone stock. I've had lowered cars in the past from coilovers to lowering springs paired koni yellows (8th gen civic si). But never just lowering springs with stock dampers. My plan is to go with either EMD, H&R OE, or 034 springs with about ~1.2 inch drop MAX. Install will be done myself - Trying to be more cost effective this time around.

Goal is to have comfort first and performance 2nd, will not be tracking it - and obviously price matters

Which option should I go with?

A) Lowering springs with stock dampers (EMD, H&R OE, Eiback PRO kit, or 034 springs). Can the stock dampers handle these milder lowering springs?
B) Lowering springs with Bilstein B8? or any other dampers that will pair well with lowering springs? I heard maybe Koni yellows pair better with EMD because of the softer spring rates from EMD vs H&R?
C) Go coil overs like BC racing or Bilstein B14 or APR?? Something priced closer to a spring/damper combo for about ~1k with good ride quality. I live in Canada which we get a ton of snow/salt so coil overs is usually my last choice.

Thank you and stay safe folks!

Last edited:

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
This question has been beaten to death hundreds of times on this forum.

Option b is your best bet, stock dampers don't like lowering springs.

yes i know i've read countless threads and each one has a different opinions. If cost was no object i would go lowering springs + dampers for sure. But what about springs + dampers vs a entry level coi lover like BC since they are priced similar to the combo? How do those ride quality differ? What about BC vs Bilstein coil overs? which to go with?

Which dampers would go well with the springs I want? Lot's of these threads don't cover these specifics

AND If i go ONLY springs should i go EMD, H&R OE, Eibach PRO Kit, or 034? Those are the only 4 options i am considering. I don't want to hear about VWR or H&R Sport etc.

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
What’s wrong with VWR? The springs offer a conservative drop (lowers just enough while providing plenty of clearance to get in and out of parking lots/curbs, speed bumps,etc.- I never have to tiptoe around obstacles that a very lowered car would have problems negotiating around) and paired with the VWR dampers, the kit makes for a more comfortable yet more performance oriented ride (yes, both traits in one).

3DC310AB-9D15-4ABB-AF5E-FDAA5B200488.jpeg

A388E401-A213-431C-ABA7-1C23998D7A45.jpeg

Last edited:

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
What’s wrong with VWR? The springs offer a conservative drop (lowers just enough while providing plenty of clearance to get in and out of parking lots/curbs, speed bumps,etc.- I never have to tiptoe around obstacles that a very lowered car would have problems negotiating around) and paired with the VWR dampers, the kit makes for a more comfortable yet more performance oriented ride (yes, both traits in one).

View attachment 216119
View attachment 216120

Looking good!! I've heard good things about VWR as well but they are advertised as ~1.4 drop which is a bit more than i wanted. Also read a few complaints about VWR bottoming out more than EMD? I believe EMD and VWR are comparable as they are both on the softer side of lowering springs but VWR bottoming out more due to it bring a lower drop. (this is all with stock dampers).

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Looking good!! I've heard good things about VWR as well but they are advertised as ~1.4 drop which is a bit more than i wanted. Also read a few complaints about VWR bottoming out more than EMD? I believe EMD and VWR are comparable as they are both on the softer side of lowering springs but VWR bottoming out more due to it bring a lower drop. (this is all with stock dampers).
I once did a spring only (retained factory dampers) install on a car and the ride got much worse. Since then I’ve always done springs & dampers with much better results. It’s more money but money well spent.

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
I installed the VWR springs with the stock DCC dampers and got about 1.2" lower. Works well for me.

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
I once did a spring only (retained factory dampers) install on a car and the ride got much worse. Since then I’ve always done springs & dampers with much better results. It’s more money but money well spent.

This is me in most cases but all my car's have been older so made since to swap everything out. This time around its a newer car and money is a littler tighter. I will continue my research though.
I installed the VWR springs with the stock DCC dampers and got about 1.2" lower. Works well for me.

Having DCC really helps. Unfortunately we never got that option in Canada for 2018 Autobahn's

One of my big questions is do I go with something like this? A good quality spring/strut combo or a entry level coil over? Which one would ride better? The B14's look promising but haven't heard much feedback on them

1623181339302.png

1623181388740.png

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
This is me in most cases but all my car's have been older so made since to swap everything out. This time around its a newer car and money is a littler tighter. I will continue my research though.

Having DCC really helps. Unfortunately we never got that option in Canada for 2018 Autobahn's

One of my big questions is do I go with something like this? A good quality spring/strut combo or a entry level coil over? Which one would ride better? The B14's look promising but haven't heard much feedback on them

View attachment 216124

View attachment 216125
To put things in perspective, the VWR Cup Kit (dampers & springs) costs $761

A Koni or Bilstein damper/ spring of choice combo will also be well under a grand.

You may want to factor in new top mount hardware for the install.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
'comfort first, performance second, not tracking'

leave it alone

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
yes i know i've read countless threads and each one has a different opinions. If cost was no object i would go lowering springs + dampers for sure. But what about springs + dampers vs a entry level coi lover like BC since they are priced similar to the combo? How do those ride quality differ? What about BC vs Bilstein coil overs? which to go with?

Which dampers would go well with the springs I want? Lot's of these threads don't cover these specifics

AND If i go ONLY springs should i go EMD, H&R OE, Eibach PRO Kit, or 034? Those are the only 4 options i am considering. I don't want to hear about VWR or H&R Sport etc.

That's the thing...they are opinions. Most will recommend what they have or like. A lot of the lowering springs are designed around the stock dampers. Some companies will list their spring rates. If you look...the rates are not significantly higher than the stock. At only 20k miles...I think your stock dampers will be ok. Will they perform like aftermarket ones...nope...but will work "fine" for street driving and spirited driving here and there.

Regarding coilovers. If you live in a place where it snows a lot and the roads are salted. There is a good chance that after a while they will start to corrode...and the adjusting collars can seize up on you. If you set and forget...it won't be a big deal...but if you want to adjust...seized collars can be a huge headache.