GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which brand fuel works best

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
I always thought Chevron was the best but I read on here Ed from EQT saying they got more knock with Chevron then they do with Shell or 76 so...?

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Your car knocks on 93 octane? How modded is it? Last, 93 octane at Shell is no different than at Costco other than additives which have nothing to do with octane rating.

Yes it does. Not a ton but it’s notable on a log. The car is FBO stage 2. I believe that 93 octane at Shell is different than Costco. I used to think the same thing you did, but the numbers I’m seeing in my data logs are much better on this Costco fuel than on the Shell fuel. If you still don’t believe it, ask any tuner whether or not they think that the brand of fuel makes a difference.

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
I only use Mobil, BP or Shell. After using Thornton's on my last R-Line Jetta, the whole fuel system needed to be replaced before VW exchanged it for the 35th. Not taking chances with the GLI.

I don't have the patience for Costco.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I always thought Chevron was the best but I read on here Ed from EQT saying they got more knock with Chevron then they do with Shell or 76 so...?
If you’re in California, then that is correct. Both Ed from EQT and Jon from 5150 have the same observations and recommendations for fuel- Shell or 76.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Yes it does. Not a ton but it’s notable on a log. The car is FBO stage 2. I believe that 93 octane at Shell is different than Costco. I used to think the same thing you did, but the numbers I’m seeing in my data logs are much better on this Costco fuel than on the Shell fuel. If you still don’t believe it, ask any tuner whether or not they think that the brand of fuel makes a difference.

93 octane is 93 octane. Octane rating is directly related to knock resistance. A possible explanation is the Costco fuel is actually higher than 93 octane. Is your log showing you’re making more HP with the Costco fuel? This would mean the CPU is allowing more advanced timing.