GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which brake rotor brand is better for track use?

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I use ATE 340mm rotors from FCP Euro. I have replaced them 2 times. I have run them with a variety of pads inculding stock, TRW ceramic, EBC yellow, Winmax W6, and Pagid RSL29. I do about 6-10 track days a years. They get the stress cracks just like in your pictures with more aggressive pads, but as a few people said, that is pretty normal with any moderate track use. I feel like I should have FCP Euro stickers all over my car from the amount of pads, fluid, and rotors I have retured to them.

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
I can say that I just put on a new set of Zimmerman blanks and DS2500 in the front and after one track day I am getting some significant brake shuddering. I absolutely don't want to slander Zimmerman because frankly I did not bed this combo in too well and I have not yet diagnosed the source of the shuddering yet.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I can say that I just put on a new set of Zimmerman blanks and DS2500 in the front and after one track day I am getting some significant brake shuddering. I absolutely don't want to slander Zimmerman because frankly I did not bed this combo in too well and I have not yet diagnosed the source of the shuddering yet.

DS2500 are notorious for deposits when overheated. Take steel wool to the rotors and bed them in correctly.

Do you have brake ducts of some kind?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
My last set were perfect. Honestly, the pads are pretty well matched to my street tires and low horsepower--no noticeable fade. I lean on them pretty hard in the heavy braking zones but try to keep them out of ABS as to not put a bunch of uneeded heat into the tires otherwise I drag brake all over the place, as you do, to turn the car

Should note XDS is set to full off

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
@Oversteermybagel do your brakes shudder on the street or just track? My current brakes (Pagid RSL29, zimmerman rotors) also shudder slightly on track

They were fine on the track. I noticed the shudder on the street. I was wondering if running without rotor set set screws might be contributory but they were fine before track use so more likely its pad deposits

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
My last set were perfect. Honestly, the pads are pretty well matched to my street tires and low horsepower--no noticeable fade. I lean on them pretty hard in the heavy braking zones but try to keep them out of ABS as to not put a bunch of uneeded heat into the tires otherwise I drag brake all over the place, as you do, to turn the car

Should note XDS is set to full off
What rotors did you use last time when they worked fine?

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Thank you for trying to keep this post on topic. I know it can be difficult at times!
I literally just wanted to know which rotor (in peoples opinion) out of the 3 options at FCP, would hold up the best. I wanted it to be one of those 3, so I can get rotors and pads as needed without worrying about plunking down $450 each time! With their generous warranty, I'm probably only looking at $45 - $50 each time. It seems like a no brainer for me.
VW OEM rotors served me well on track when I still had PP brakes. These were matched with
Pagid RSL29’s with RSL19’s in the rear. I like that you could leave these in for the street with no adverse wear on the rotors. Never ran Ferrodo’s so cannot comment. I would likely burn up the DS2500, so would go to a track only Ferrodo pad if I was to run Ferrodos.

The OE rotors were replaced with plain Zimmerman rotors front and rear. I will need to check my maintenance log to compare the number of track days before replacement between the two. If you’re sticking to PP brakes go with VW OEM rotors, if you are using FCPs replacement program.

For reference my PP brakes ran considerably hotter than my BBK. This accelerates rotor and pad wear.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
VW OEM rotors served me well on track when I still had PP brakes. These were matched with
Pagid RSL29’s with RSL19’s in the rear. I like that you could leave these in for the street with no adverse wear on the rotors. Never ran Ferrodo’s so cannot comment. I would likely burn up the DS2500, so would go to a track only Ferrodo pad if I was to run Ferrodos.

The OE rotors were replaced with plain Zimmerman rotors front and rear. I will need to check my maintenance log to compare the number of track days before replacement between the two. If you’re sticking to PP brakes go with VW OEM rotors, if you are using FCPs replacement program.

For reference my PP brakes ran considerably hotter than my BBK. This accelerates rotor and pad wear.
Thank you! This is the exact info I was looking for.